EHIC

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KM2

EHIC

Post by KM2 »

Is the old EHIC card still valid until it’s end date for a uk citizen living in England?
[XAP]Bob

Re: EHIC

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NHS
If you have an existing EHIC, it will remain valid until the expiry date on the card.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Yes, but unless you're in one of the groups listed in the withdrawal agreement, it's valid in fewer countries.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

st599_uk wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 9:12pm Yes, but unless you're in one of the groups listed in the withdrawal agreement, it's valid in fewer countries.
I changed my EHIC for the new UK Global Health Insurance Card last September.
I had assumed that my EHIC had expired but I found it still had a few months left.
I only had to use my EHIC once and that was nearly forty years ago when my younger son fell down stairs in Holland.
Excellent emergency treatment - no waiting - staff came out to car park with a wheelchair to collect him.
I had private insurance as well but EHIC covered it.
I don't know what the "Global " cover will be but I'll definitely have private cover as well.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

EHIC covers EU plus Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Lichtenstein.
GHIC covers EU.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

st599_uk wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 10:30am EHIC covers EU plus Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Lichtenstein.
GHIC covers EU.
Someone needs to explain what Global means to the person who came up with the name for the new card.
Richard M
Cardiff
fullfathom5

Post by fullfathom5 »

You can also use a GHIC in Switzerland in the following circumstances:

'You can only use a UK GHIC in Switzerland if you're a UK national, a Swiss national, a citizen of an EU Member State, a refugee, a stateless person, or a family member, dependant or survivor of someone who holds one of these nationalities or statuses.'
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Perhaps foolishly I have never had private health insurance for my many trips to France and Spain between 2007 and 2019.

I did run into a bollard on a cycle path near Guernica in 2011. I had the full emergency treatment. Two and blues, stretcher and neck brace taken for triage then on to the hospital. Xrays scans stitches and then overnight in hospital. No mention of money at any stage. I assume they had checked the EHIC and that was that.

Fortunately able to limp home with a written off alloy bike. Had I not been able that might have been an issue. Now have the GHIC and will have insurance if ever I get to go back to Europe.
millimole

Post by millimole »

A few years ago I was in Menorca on a non- cycling family holiday and developed what I was convinced was a chest infection.
I felt seriously unwell and had trouble breathing.
I sought advice from the local pharmacy who were completely useless. My next port of call was to my travel insurance through Nationwide.
They directed me to a private clinic where I was examined, x-rayed and assured it was viral. All by English speaking staff (Dutch & Philipino as I recall).
In a strange twist of fate, my brother in law developed similar symptoms a few weeks later on Majorca. He didn't have private insurance so went to the main hospital with his EHIC. He was examined and x-rayed and assured it was viral. The difference was that the only English speaker was the doctor who discharged him, and his description of the waiting areas was more like the NHS than my clinic experience.

So, in summary, that snapshot shows that in those examples, the only difference was in the 'ambience' rather than the care or treatment. (A bit like NHS vs private surgery in the UK)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I needed emergency treatment in Italy a few years back after a nasty (five stitches) encounter with a dog. They were delighted to see my EHIC card, but didn't get round to asking for it until they'd nearly finished treating me. Sensible priorities.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

richardfm wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 10:45am
st599_uk wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 10:30am EHIC covers EU plus Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Lichtenstein.
GHIC covers EU.
Someone needs to explain what Global means to the person who came up with the name for the new card.
More Boris BS, that's what it means.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Some, plenty, all Travel Insurance insist on you having an EHIC and using it as your first port of call. If not sufficient, then you can fall back on your insurance.

My neighbour fell foul of this rule. He went private thinking insurance would cover and they said no, you should have got and used an EHIC.

Check your policy wording.