Ideas for a family tour in Iceland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Ideas for a family tour in Iceland

Post by Tangled Metal »

Does anyone know what Iceland is like to tour in? Two adults, a 9yo in July/August. Just something the other half said so I thought I'd ask on here about it.
Paulatic

Re: Ideas for a family tour in Iceland

Post by Paulatic »

I recall Josie Dew went “Wind in my Wheels”
Where are you going in that bike. The Norwegian shop owner asked. Iceland I said and promptly wished I hadn’t. Ha Ha he crowed and do you know what you head for?
Hell he announced with a vigorous glee. Absolute hell!

:lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I cycled around the island May/June about 10 ago.
It's a lot like touring in the north of Scotland.
If you're lucky with the weather then it's great, if not then it can get very grim.
I was lucky, cold winds but only a couple of drizzle in the 7 weeks I was there.
Off the ferry it climbs to 2000' in ~5 miles and then drops back to sea level in the same distance to join the ring road.
Only Reykjavik was really busy with traffic, but there was a good off-road cycle route in and out of it.
But you do need to keep a eye open for the odd tourist couch on the ring road.
Most towns have a campsite, so only wild camped a couple of times after exploring along minor roads.

Luck ........... :D
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I typed out a longish answer worrying about kids touring (mine were lightweights but have toured). Checking your posts it looks like your kid is tough as so it looks like that side of things is fine. He’ll be ok with a fairly wild and not many people/traditional things to do type trip I take it?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Hmm! Plan B I think. He's good for distance but unless I can attach his Nintendo switch to his bars and keep it charged he might get bored there. 😆
Ron

Post by Ron »

Paulatic wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 11:34pm I recall Josie Dew went “Wind in my Wheels”Where are you going in that bike. The Norwegian shop owner asked. Iceland I said
Thirty years have passed since then, many changes have taken place :) .
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Iceland is one of the very few places that I have looked at and then decided no. In fact I have done this a number of times. A combination of weather that when bad is very bad and also cost. I'm also not sure how interesting it is away from the honeypot sites, some of which are now very touristy.

If I was ever to have such a thing as a wish list, I suppose Iceland would be on it, but not on a bike. Then again, I don't like the cold, the wet, the wind.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ron wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 10:15am
Paulatic wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 11:34pm I recall Josie Dew went “Wind in my Wheels”Where are you going in that bike. The Norwegian shop owner asked. Iceland I said
Thirty years have passed since then, many changes have taken place :) .
Time flies seems just like yesterday. :lol: (1987) JD was 21 in Iceland and born in 1966.
Hoping the changes are for the better there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Tangled Metal wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 9:24pm Does anyone know what Iceland is like to tour in? Two adults, a 9yo in July/August. Just something the other half said so I thought I'd ask on here about it.
Not cycled there but had a holiday a couple of years ago.

I think you'd need to be proper hard core to cycle tour there. A very long way between places, and whilst the landscape is spectacular, it's also unchanging for long distances: 20 miles through a barren lavafield is pretty monotonous.

As I recall, driving, fairly significant hills were by no means uncommon. Surfaced roads are few, but good quality. Don't expect any minor road scenic detours. The routes are very exposed to the elements.

Everything is terrifyingly expensive.

Personally I would strongly recommend against doing it with a 9yo unless it's their own absolute passion. Even for adults, only if you enjoy real hard riding and challenging conditions.

If you fancy something spectacular but more suited to a youngster, perhaps Lake Annecy area, or the route through the dolomites to Cortina might be really good?
pal

Post by pal »

I'd like to put in a quick word in defence of Iceland as a bike touring destination -- I've had some amazing trips there... On the other hand: I'm not sure I'd recommend it for cycling with children: as others have said, the weather is very unpredictable, and the best bits for cycling (imo) are the remotest parts, which take a few days to get to (and through...). The traditional on-road cycle touring route was to go round the ring road, but traffic levels have increased significantly in recent years, so I'm not sure that would be much fun these days (esp. with children).

One possibility might be to base yourself somewhere like Myvatn, which is a bit less heavily touristed than the sites round Reykjavik, and from which you could do some good day rides out to waterfalls and geothermal things (mud pools, hot springs, etc).

(Cortina a very good idea, too!)
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

pal wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 11:40am One possibility might be to base yourself somewhere like Myvatn, which is a bit less heavily touristed than the sites round Reykjavik, and from which you could do some good day rides out to waterfalls and geothermal things (mud pools, hot springs, etc).
Another vote for Myvatn. I went there in May about 15 years ago, with a car and no bike, and I was impressed. I would quite happily spend a week there doing walks and bike rides.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"How to cycle to Iceland, part one: pedalling through Denmark":
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022 ... mp;amp;amp

Jonathan

PS: It's great to see this sort of article in mainstream media.
pal

Post by pal »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 1:58pm PS: It's great to see this sort of article in mainstream media.
I agree! I'll be interested to see how he gets on in the Faroes (I loved cycling there, but I can see that it might be an acquired taste...)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Loved the article. Not sure I’m up to Iceland but I await the next part with interest.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Last edited by MrsHJ on 1 Oct 2022, 10:53am, edited 1 time in total.