No room for mudguards on hybrid

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
vandjq

No room for mudguards on hybrid

Post by vandjq »

Bought a new Ridgeback Element hybrid bike online. Ordered some Portland Design Works mudguards, but then discovered there is only 10mm clearance from the 35mm tyre to the fork crown. PDW state I need at least 17mm clearance, so they don't fit. The blurb on the Ridgeback website states: 'Mounts for mudguards and racks add versatility, allowing you to turn the bike into a load-lugger or wet-weather commuter.'

https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/ridgeback-element-varrb2111

Normally I would not buy online but my local shops did not have the size I needed (X-Large) due to Covid. I've had it for more than 14 days now so it's too late to return it. I must say I'm a bit surprised that a bike of this type does not accept mudguards. Two questions: Does anyone know of any full-length mudguards which will fit with less than 10mm clearance? If not, is it possible to modify mudguards to fit?

:(
Des49

Re: No room for mudguards on hybrid

Post by Des49 »

The picture of the fork crown area with tyre on the website you linked to doesn't seem that tight to me (but the perspective may be odd or different tyre as you only measured 10mm whereas it looks more on the pic).
I would certainly try and fit a set of SKS chromoplastic guards that I am familiar with under that gap.

The Portland guards I do not know but looking at them they seem to have a fairly flat central area profile, the more rounded SKS shape may sit higher.

Though often all mudguards need a good bit of fettling to fit nicely, possibly some bending under the bridge.

You have a decent looking bike for commuting there, I would try a cheaper set of plastic guards to start. Whereas the Portland ones appear to be premium guards the SKS are good, rigid with the 2 sets of stays per guard, resist damage/knocks and last well. Just add your own longer mudflaps and consider remounting the front stay top bracket on the outside of the guard if you find drips from the bracket end up on your feet.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Try and look for mudguards with a curved shape as some are flat with flared sides as the flat will reduce the clearance up against the forks/frame.

Cheers James
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Have you tried fitting the PDW mudguards? I would say that the 17mm is intended as a guide rather than a rule, particularly since their installation instructions say "position the fender so it is centred and a safe distance from the tyre (at least 5mm)."
I have their 30mm mudguards running a fork crown closer clearance than their recommended 15mm (in the case of 30mm guards) - and I mean MUCH closer. The biggest problem for me was interference with the front brake calliper, which is not a problem you will have since you have disc brakes.

I would say - try them, I am sure they will be fine. If they still do not suit you, then I agree with Jamesh about using mudguards with a round profile so that they can be pulled right up into the fork crown. Or - a probably unacceptable solution, fit smaller tyres.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

vandjq wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 8:37am
The blurb on the Ridgeback website states: 'Mounts for mudguards and racks add versatility, allowing you to turn the bike into a load-lugger or wet-weather commuter.'

https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/ridgeback-element-varrb2111

I've had it for more than 14 days now so it's too late to return it. I must say I'm a bit surprised that a bike of this type does not accept mudguards.

:(
I'd try fitting mudguards to the frame and if it's impossible or the mudguards (once fitted) pose a safety risk, then speak to consumer advise in regards to the 1971 (?) Goods and services act advising that this bike was not accurately described, and that mudguards can not be safely fitted.

It's the stupid bike designers placing form above function
PH

Post by PH »

Another model using the same frame comes with mudguards fitted. it might be worth finding out what guards Ridgeback fit, or maybe if it uses different tyres.
Would fitting the guards you have stop you from returning them? The manufacturer might just be being cautious, people do have different ideas about what a suitable clearance is, I like a minimum of 10mm between tyre and guard, but I know some choose to run them a lot closer. What's the space on the frame like? I don't mind running a size smaller tyre on the front, though
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Bet they claim that they take gaurds is based on smaller tyres.
Check what the guarded version has. I would see 17mm as somewhat excessive as the closer the gaurd the better the coverage. Might use that spacing on my off road bike but not on something that was aimed at tarmac or gravel.
pwa

Post by pwa »

For mostly road use I aim for 10mm clearance. More is better, but 10mm is my minimum.

Tyre choice is another thing that influences clearance. What tyres are on at the moment?

To maximise clearance you need guards that have a similar shape to the fork crown, so that they fit close to it. The fork corwn in the pic isn't generous in the clearance it gives, so you really do need a guard to mimic its shaping. A guard with a flatish top won't fit snugly against the fork crown.
scottg

Post by scottg »

mattsccm wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 7:22pm Bet they claim that they take gaurds is based on smaller tyres.[snip]
Yes, it is common to see "Clearance for 35mm tyres, 30mm with mudguards" or similar.
Fitted for guards usually means there are eyelets and threaded bridges on the frame.
On carefully designed frames the thread bridges are equidistant from the axle.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
vandjq

Post by vandjq »

Thanks for all the replies.

Des49 - thanks for the advice to try cheaper mudguards as I think I may need to adapt them to fit this bike. One thing I should say is that I always fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres for commuting as I can't be bothered with punctures at 7.30am in winter. Those tyres have a 5mm puncture protection layer, so have probably reduced the gap between the tyre and the fork crown, which is 10mm as measured with a steel rule. Having said that, I have fitted those tyres to other bikes which came with mudguards and had no problem, so the clearance is still pretty tight.

Jamesh - I will try to find a more rounded shape, but I have noticed with this bike that the weld under the fork is quite uneven and sticks out so I may have to cut holes to allow for this. Perhaps aluminium will be more forgiving?

tanab and pwa - I did fit the PDW Poncho mudguards and could not spin the front wheel at all. At £60 I did not want to modify them in case it didn't work, so have returned them. I considered smaller tyres but prefer 35mm for commuting.

cycle tramp - I completely agree that designers (in Britain and the US) place form above function. It was impossible for me to find a fully equipped bike in my size and specification, which is why I decided to do it myself. I'm not sure how far I would get with legal action though.

PH - You're right, the other Ridgeback model does come with mudguards fitted, and I would have bought one except it only has 16 gears and it is pretty hilly where I live in the North East. I live near a Cube dealer and my first choice was the Cube Travel, which has triple chainrings and 27 gears (probably too many) and comes fully equipped, but the Germans are not exporting them to Britain at present. I rang Ridgeback today and they said the equipped model has a wider fork and comes with 40mm tyres and mudguards. They suggested M-Part Primoplastic mudguards, which look quite rounded so may be worth a look:

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/m-part-prim ... s-varmgprp

But as I said earlier I'm inclined to aluminium as I think I will have to cut them to fit over the lumpy welding. I wonder how risky it is to file the weld down?
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I would have thought that a lump of weld is only contributing to the strength of the weld at the base. The bit sticking out into fresh air could be filed off without affect ing the integrity of the fork.

???? Note: this is based on common sense logic which is not the same as scientific fact !! :))
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Please could you add a photo showing the clearance. (And the weld.)

Thanks

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

These fashionable fork crowns that leave little "excess" space between tyre and crown are a pain when it comes to guards. I know it doesn't look as sexy when a larger gap is left, but it would make guard fitting so much simpler.

Just for comparison, a very unsexy old fashioned looking set of forks that will be a doddle to fit guards to. You'd even be fitting spacers between guard and fork crown to bring the guards closer to the tyre:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/48-of ... een-imron/
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I aim for 10mm mudguard clearance for bridlepathing, it should be OK on roads!
SKS plastic mudguards are my "gold standard"....with double stays and a safety release, as far as I am concerned there are none better (in any practical sense of "better".) Add longer mudflaps, eg from damp proof course.
Don't take a file to your forks....it will invalidate your warranty and encourage corrosion.....instead, get plastic guards, you can quite easily modify their shape with an electric heat gun (as sold for paint stripping, and forming heatshrink for electronics). If you don't have one, a hair dryer set on flat out might do. If you mould the guard directly onto the underside of the fork crown (front wheel out) the guard will take less than one millimetre of space....assuming the slot on the fixing bracket allows you to get the guard snug up to the crown....if it doesn't, just file it out. Fit and adjust the stays before heating up the guard.
vandjq

Post by vandjq »

20220101_161738.jpg
20220101_161516.jpg
20220101_161331.jpg
20220101_161224.jpg
Not sure how to rotate images