bead wire exposed... solution - or bung?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: bead wire exposed... solution - or bung?

Post by Sweep »

sorry colin for the pedantry, are you saying that this is a historic problem long since fixed?

(stress i am asking not disputing)
Sweep
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Sweep wrote: 1 Jan 2022, 8:53am sorry colin for the pedantry, are you saying that this is a historic problem long since fixed?

(stress i am asking not disputing)
It looks like the problem has returned....I saw many such faulty Schwalbe tyres a long time ago (10-15 years ago)
It looks like the problem is back! these faulty tyres that people are reporting can't have been knocking about somewhere for 10 years!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I heard a regular clicking sound while riding the tandem.this afternoon. Stopped pedalling, continued coasting but the clicking continued.

Ah, found it, something stuck in the tyre it looked like.

On closer inspection I'd say the bead has somehow come adrift!! Less than 100 miles of use. I'll have a closer look over the weekend. At least the tyre stayed inflated!

schwalbe2.jpg
schwalbe1.jpg

[attachment=0]schwalbe3.jpg[/attachment

I think I purchased that pair of tyres from Wiggle but they've changed their website recently and the historical orders have all disappeared. Hopefully I can make a decent repair but it would be nice to know why it popped out in the first place.
Attachments
schwalbe3.jpg
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I wouldn't be confident of making a satisfactory repair. If there isn't enough rubbery glue holding the bead wire in place either the ends of the bead can migrate out or the tyre "grows" in circumference so it can pop off the rim.
Take the tyre right off and bend the bead vigorously. If the bead "creaks" thats a sure sign there is insufficient rubbery stuff binding the bead wire together.
just to emphasise, the bead is a single strand of wire which makes 3 or 4 laps of the tyre. without the rubbery glue, there is nothing holding it together.
On the front of a tandem, bin it....its not worth the risk in any way shape or form.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Yes, I think I'll go for the Continental Contact Plus from now on when requiring puncture proof tyres.

It's quite bad form these faults with Marathons. Think I'll drop Schwalbe a quick e-mail. Doubtful I'll receive recompense but they need to be aware of the issue.

I'm not 100% sure I purchased these tyres from Wiggle as I delete my e-mails on receiving an order; these subsequently self destruct from the 'Trash' folder after 30 days!!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I had this issue with a pair of marathon winters a few months ago. Barely used. It caused the tire to come off the rim repeatedly and forced a long late night walk home in the snow, carrying the bike as I couldn't wheel it.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Here's an internal image of the bead:

schwalbe bead.jpg

That's twice now I've had the bead come adrift on schwalbe tyres, this instance and also on a normal marathon.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

531colin wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 6:26pm I wouldn't be confident of making a satisfactory repair. If there isn't enough rubbery glue holding the bead wire in place either the ends of the bead can migrate out or the tyre "grows" in circumference so it can pop off the rim.
I'm sat here studying this very tyre now. I cut off the protruding bead wire and buried the end so it is no longer exposed.
I'll use it as a rear tyre on one of my solo bikes for a spell to see what happens. I just can't see how the tyre can 'grow' in circumference....?
The wire bead is encased in moulded rubber, OK not very well obviously, but for the circumference to increase the whole tyre would have to equally 'grow'. Impossible. Maybe I'm just a bit thick. I'll see how long it lasts and report back!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

The tyre is made of rubber, of course the bead can stretch if the ends of the continuous metal bead strand aren't secured properly. Ok there's a bit of fabric in there too but it only needs a few mm of stretch to not be a secure fit. If you insist on continuing to use it I'd strongly suggest fitting it only to the rear wheel, and not in any circumstances where you're going to be going fast/steeply downhill. When I had the same issue mine repeatedly popped off the rim every few hundred metres.
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 26 Jul 2023, 7:06pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

In my view the tyre is unusable, not fit for purpose, i.e cannot work as tyre,
You have every right to return it to the seller, but it's debatable if you will be given a refund or replacement, which is your right under Consumer rights law, if you have use of the tyre for a reasonable time or distance.
If it's new or relatively low milage there is no question, any reputable bike shop ought to do something for you, the supplier can then ,and would take the matter up with the manufacturer, it's the only way they will know of the problem .
Quality bicycle tyres are not cheap, and I certainly would expect the problem to be rectified or given a full value refund, but as tyres are a consumable item, the retailer might be within their rights to refuse and off a pro rata payment..
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Unfortunately I cannot remember which retailer I purchased these tyres from. I'm sure it was Wiggle but all order history prior to April of this year has been deleted (due to their 'new look' website).

I sent Wiggle a casual e-mail advising of the defect to the 'Marathon Plus' but they responded saying that the 'Durano Plus' tyres were out of warranty (I had bought a set of Durano Plus tyres for the daughters bike some time ago). Anyhow, without the order number, or proof of purchase I'm a bit stuck.

Like I said, I'll stick them on the rear wheel of the utility bike and see how they go. The tyre does not appear to have grown, I have tried it on a couple of rims and it feels ;normal' putting it on/off, i.e quite tight to get the last bit of bead over the rim. What's the worse that can happen :!: :!:
531colin

Post by 531colin »

SimonCelsa wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 5:10pm
531colin wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 6:26pm I wouldn't be confident of making a satisfactory repair. If there isn't enough rubbery glue holding the bead wire in place either the ends of the bead can migrate out or the tyre "grows" in circumference so it can pop off the rim.
I'm sat here studying this very tyre now. I cut off the protruding bead wire and buried the end so it is no longer exposed.
I'll use it as a rear tyre on one of my solo bikes for a spell to see what happens. I just can't see how the tyre can 'grow' in circumference....?
The wire bead is encased in moulded rubber, OK not very well obviously, but for the circumference to increase the whole tyre would have to equally 'grow'. Impossible. Maybe I'm just a bit thick. I'll see how long it lasts and report back!
[/quote]

Image003 by 531colin, on Flickr

Image012 by 531colin, on Flickr

So, whats going on here, then?
Photos date from the end of January, 2016, so my recollection isn't exactly pin sharp, but i expect i posted here about it then.
However, the photos are at home not at work, so I think thats a wheelchair tyre, and I don't think its Schwalbe, the branding looks wrong for Schwalbe.

Image001 by 531colin, on Flickr

Another one; as I only have 2 hands, I'm holding the camera in one hand, and the tyre in the other; the weight of the wheel is pulling the tyre a long way off the rim.