bead wire exposed... solution - or bung?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

bead wire exposed... solution - or bung?

Post by simonineaston »

We're familiar with the rock solid dependability of Schwalbe's Marathon tyres, so I was disappointed to notice a single strand of reinforcing wire exposed on an otherwise perfectly usable example. It appears to have rotated out of the carcass, as opposed to having burst out through the tyre's bead. Any comments?
picture of faulty tyre
picture of faulty tyre
EDIT: by 'bung' I mean throw away... I've offered up sundry tools to the exposed wire and can tell you, dear reader, it's blinkin' tough!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Re: bead wire exposed... solution - or bung?

Post by rjb »

Contact the seller or Schawlbe direct. They should replace it.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What is the symptom and does it matter?
Did you have a flat?
Is the tyre brand new?

Not good of course, and a poor QA etc, but if the tyre is usable because the exposed wire is out of the way of the tube, does it matter if you've already been using the tyre?

More info please.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 1:34pm We're familiar with the rock solid dependability of Schwalbe's Marathon tyres,

Any comments?
I used to sell a fair few Schwalbe tyres. Unfortunately the quality has been variable for a few years now. IME, it’s almost exclusively Marathon tyres that have problems and these include distorted profiles, exposed wire ends, bead casing failure and rough internal surfaces that abrade inner tubes.
Last edited by peetee on 29 Dec 2021, 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PH

Post by PH »

Looks to me like a puncture waiting to happen. I can't see how you'd prevent that, so I wouldn't use it.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I had exactly the same thing on my son's paper round bike (26" wheels). I had fixed a puncture for him and noted this bead wire sticking out. Whether it was the cause of the puncture I can't remember.

Anyhow I cropped the wire off as close as possible to where it exits the carcass, and manipulated the wire end with pliers to ensure it was 'buried'.

It's been OK since then, well over a year without incident. The winter studded tyres are now on that bike and on attempting to examine the original tyre fault I cannot locate the damage area, thus all is well!!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Single strand suggesting there are more in there?
Can you extract this strand completely - or push it back in?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I think I'd try cutting the strand as short as possible, putting a blob of superglue or similar on the end (if still exposed) then some gaffer tape or a patch over the whole area. And keep an eye on that tyre.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Marathons are notorious for this. Replacement tyre needed. I have also seen wobbly carcasses and kinked beads that won't stay on the rim. No such problems with M+ or their more expensive tyres.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Having been a Schwalbe Marathon user for years I've now stopped using them. I've had problems exactly as yours.
Treads last for ever and punctures are rare but side walls and wire beads keep giving problems. It's the one time in my life when I couldn't fix the bike and ride home, all because of a major sidewall failure.
The first two were bought at the same time so I assumed I was unlucky and they came from a bad batch. I then bought two more from a different outlet and it was one of these that stranded me. I binned the last one unused, not being willing to take the risk of getting stranded again.
I've switched to Continental and so far I like them.
I've tried twice contacting Schwalbe and never even received a reply.
Very poor customer service!
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

francovendee wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 8:56am Having been a Schwalbe Marathon user for years I've now stopped using them. I've had problems exactly as yours.
Treads last for ever and punctures are rare but side walls and wire beads keep giving problems. It's the one time in my life when I couldn't fix the bike and ride home, all because of a major sidewall failure.
The first two were bought at the same time so I assumed I was unlucky and they came from a bad batch. I then bought two more from a different outlet and it was one of these that stranded me. I binned the last one unused, not being willing to take the risk of getting stranded again.
What did the retailer say? You did contact them didn't you? You were their customer, not Schwalbe's
Richard M
Cardiff
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 7:27pm I think I'd try cutting the strand as short as possible, putting a blob of superglue or similar on the end (if still exposed) then some gaffer tape or a patch over the whole area. And keep an eye on that tyre.
Gaffs tape (gorilla tape do a very strong and small roll idea for touring) if touring otherwise chuck...

Cheers James
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

richardfm wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 9:42am
francovendee wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 8:56am Having been a Schwalbe Marathon user for years I've now stopped using them. I've had problems exactly as yours.
What did the retailer say? You did contact them didn't you? You were their customer, not Schwalbe's
I did and they said if I sent it back they'd take a look and possibly send me a refund. Once I'd checked the cost of postage (I didn't think this would be refunded) it was as cheap to buy a new tyre.
You're right in that I was a customer of the bike shop but they didn't make the tyre. I think any company would at least acknowledge a complaint about one of their products.
Al Wright

Post by Al Wright »

Snap ! Mine happened on back wheel tyre about 2 years ago. I didn't discover the wire until after repairing 2nd puncture. By then about eight inches of the wire had protruded from the bead. Not having suitable tools and having a further 20 miles to go I refitted the tyre taking the wire out under the bead, looping it into the spokes, disconnected the straddle wire on the rear cantilever brake and continued cautiously. About 15 miles later the back wheel locked. The wire had continued to creep, forming a loop that eventually snagged on the brake shoe of the open rear brake.
Attachments
tyre fault.jpg
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Its deja vue, all over again!

I will have been retired 10 years come summer, so its 10 to 15 years since Schwalbe had a big problem with exactly this issue.

The wire bead of the tyre consists of a single strand of wire which makes maybe 3 or 4 "laps" of the tyre. The wire should be fixed in position in the bead by black rubbery stuff......this problem occurs when there is none, or insufficient, black rubbery stuff to hold the bead wire in place......So the wire can migrate under the influence of riding.

sometimes a strand of wire works its way out, sometimes the tyre just "grows" in the diameter of the bead, until it can't withstand any pressure and blows off the rim. Picture of a wheelchair tyre which is comically too big for the rim....picture taken in 2016. Not necessarily a Schwalbe, I think the writing is the other way up on Schwalbe?

Image003 by 531colin, on Flickr

Beads....

Image012 by 531colin, on Flickr

You could tell the Schwalbe tyres with insufficient "glue" to fix the beads.....if you bent the bead, they would creak presumably as the wire moved.