Bike choice for multi week patagonia trip

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
s130

Bike choice for multi week patagonia trip

Post by s130 »

Hi,

Looking for some advice with bike choice for a (hopeful) trip to patagonia next year. (or just some previous insight / experience into touring in this area!).

Looking to do probably 6-8 weeks minimum with wild camping and more or less self sufficient trip (with a traditional touring set up). Understand it is about 60% gravel and reasonable hills involved.

Currently have an RC triban 520 which I have used for multi day trips aroudn scotland on road with rear panniers and it copes with that. I don't think I would have confidence in the middle of patagonia fully loaded though.

My current thoughts are to invest in a gravel bike that is orientated towards touring. Was thinking full steel (so I can use on potential future trips anywhere in the world), good tyre clearance and ideally mechanical discs. Budget probably £2kish.

Don't have the most technical knowledge but want a reliable, dependable bike for touring that can deal with gravel/trail. I have currently found the ones below and was wondering if people have particular thoughts on these bikes or things to consider?

Two newer kids on the block:
Farilight Faran 2.0 (drawback of hydraulic brakes)
Temple Adventure disc 1 or 2

something more traditional:
a surly trucker
genesis croix de fer

Others I have come accross:
ribble CGR steel
Mason ISO
Tripster ATR

Alternatively I would consider grabbing a second hand MTB as would be cheaper and loading that up - anyone have any experience with this? Any other thoughts or options to consider would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
simonhill

Re: Bike choice for multi week patagonia trip

Post by simonhill »

Cripes, you must be the answer to many people's Christmas wish. A chance to debate touring bikes. Let the answers roll.

Unfortunately my recommendation and what I ride is a Surly LHT, which is no longer available. As you like discs, then the Disc Trucker should be worth a look, but I know nothing of these new fangled discs. Also Surly have become rather expensive.

There is a good chance that most stock bikes will have a few weak points that you will want to change before a reasonably arduous trip. This can be done by buying, riding and then changing for the trip; or getting shop to change at time of sale; or design your own bike with all the bits you want. I did the latter and don't regret it.

Have you looked at Spa Cycles options. Lots of good stuff there. https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s225p0/Bikes/Touring
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

I went to Patagonia in 2020 just before the pandemic started. It really was a great adventure.
The roads varied from very good tarmac all the way to really rough gravel tracks.

I rode a flat bar Thorn Sherpa fitted with 26" wheels and 2" tyres. The bike was good and it handled the roads well. There were people on all sorts of bikes such as Koga, Surly, and Genesis TDF, they all worked but those on thin tyres really struggled on the rough surfaces. I would also go for low gears as the hills were tough. I would also look at the luggage carrying capability of the bike, towards the bottom of Chile the supply points were up to 4 days cycling apart.

My blog can be found on, crazy guy on a bike, if you want to read it https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 22742&v=PK

cheers
Neil.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

A Spa Cycles Wayfarer seems to tick most boxes and comes under budget. 47mm tyres with mudguards and handbuilt wheels are just some of the highlights.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I’d look at Thorn for that kind of trip. Either the Sherpa or a nomad if you can stretch to a rohloff. Personally, I’d think the nomad would be ideal for that trip. Sounds a great trip and one where you want the journey to be the focus not the bike. Lots of good suggestions above as well and you’ll not go wrong with most of these.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

geocycle wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 10:23am I’d look at Thorn for that kind of trip. Either the Sherpa or a nomad if you can stretch to a rohloff. Personally, I’d think the nomad would be ideal for that trip. Sounds a great trip and one where you want the journey to be the focus not the bike. Lots of good suggestions above as well and you’ll not go wrong with most of these.
Another vote for Thorn from me.
Richard M
Cardiff
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

OP, buy this if it fits :D

https://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/produc ... isc-tourer

...or a Kibo.
djb

Post by djb »

I've traveled in Latin America (not south yet) and highly recommend very low gearing and at least 2in tires. My bike is a 26er but given that it's pretty much a no brainer to have a spare folding tire with you, whether you have this or that probably isn't really an issue. Use top quality tires in great shape and you'll be fine.
That said, I'm still fond of 26 because its what I have, I like the slightly lower gearing, no toe strike even with fenders, and yes the unlikely chance I need to source a tire easier in smalltown somewhere.
But a lot of good new tires not available in 26...

I use derailleurs, and still find a mtb triple to be best for loaded touring, 40,50 + pounds of carrying extra water food stuff in mountainous terrain. For me a 44/32/22 still is great, and the 22 gets used a hell of a lot. Long climbs, short very steep stuff or battling killer headwinds , the 22t is great.
No matter your gearing, it's a bonus to have well under 20 gear inches. My bike is 16.7g.i. with 2 inch tires. Top gear 103, so about 55kph spin out, and that's ok for me
brumster

Post by brumster »

richardfm wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 10:35am
geocycle wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 10:23am I’d look at Thorn for that kind of trip. Either the Sherpa or a nomad if you can stretch to a rohloff. Personally, I’d think the nomad would be ideal for that trip. Sounds a great trip and one where you want the journey to be the focus not the bike. Lots of good suggestions above as well and you’ll not go wrong with most of these.
Another vote for Thorn from me.
Their frame designer Andy Blance regularly spent time during the UK winter product testing in South America.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

s130 wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 4:53pm something more traditional:
genesis croix de fer
I love my Croix de Fer and have been on a few multi-month loaded/camping tours but I don't think it would meet your needs.

Reasons:
  • I carry camping gear/clothing appropriate to European summers and use 2 Backrollers, 2 front Frontrollers and a bar bag (all Ortlieb). I do carry a stove and one emergency meal and up to 2.5L water but I mostly use restaurants and don't really self cater
  • But I don't put anything on top of rack (and probably wouldn't given the rear springyness from existing load
  • When loaded the back can sometimes feel a bit "springy" - not an issue but I'm on European roads
  • Not a lot of mudguard clearance. I've gone down to 700x32 and struggle to get 6mm clearance
  • Toe-overlap - never caused me problems but some people hate it (some don't notice it)
  • I just have heel clearance to rear panniers (size 9 feet/shoes) but it's tight and not a lot of space to spare
  • Only two bottle mounts, both inside main frame i.e. no space for one under downtube
  • Gearing it comes with is probably not what you'd want
The Croix de Fer great bike and if e.g. it got stolen I'd likely buy same again, but I'd question it being suited to your trip.

But you might want to have a look at Genesis' Tour de Fer. Met somebody with one in a French camp site and they loved it and I liked it but it isn't cheap! I can't recommend it as I don't know it and don't know the terrain you are planning on. But it might be a bit closer than the Croix de Fer.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

In OP's question you mention "cheaper". Given you will have airfares, purchase, and loads and loads of costs do remember to include budget for accessories for whatever bike you chose. Decent racks, lights, maybe a dynamo hub?, maybe a better saddle, etc. can all quickly add-up to a significant cost.

Ian
djb

Post by djb »

my bike is a Surly Troll, and basically a mountain bikey type of frame, with ample ample room for big tires. This is one of the big pluses for me, that I can put 2.5in tires on it, and the 2017+ frames (stopped being made in 20 or 21) can take 3 inch tires. The surly bridge club has big tire clearance also, as does the 29er Ogre.

I bring this up in case you think the draw to more offroad stuff is there, as a frame that can take wider stuff certainly opens up possibilities of types of trips / terrain.
People have ridden Patagonia on regular "touring" bikes, with 40 or whatever mm tires, but having ridden through Central America and part of Mexico, having wider tires is nice when you find yourself on iffy dirt roads, and while I did ok with my 2in tires (which only meaured 45mm on my rims) having wider tires would be better if I knew I'd be on a lot more dirt and gravel than I was, simply from the comfort and easier riding aspect.
There are dirt roads, and there are dirt roads, and when its loose and chunky, wider tires are just so much nicer to ride on.
Always a compromise though isnt it? and reading up on trip journals to get an idea of what awaits you is great to get reliable info on stuff like road surfaces etc etc etc.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Couple of questions?

How much do you intend to carry? If loads then a MTB styled heavy tourer might be more appropriate.

How tall are you? If tall then 700c fine, if shorter then 26" wheel wil surfice.

Cheers James
pwa

Post by pwa »

I would have a look through the Thorn range, if only to stimulate thought about the kind of bike needed.

If you end up opting for a gravel bike, be very careful to check all the details because some gravel bikes are designed very much for day rides and lack practical features you would want if touring.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Some feedback from OP might be useful. I see he logged in yesterday.