Nominate your best cycling product purchase of 2021

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Debs

Nominate your best cycling product purchase of 2021

Post by Debs »

My award goes to the Busch & Muller bar-end Star Mirror 901/2 :D

Purchased two for both my bikes, the best mirror i've had by far, and i've had quite a few (that are no where near as good)

Can be purchased from Cycle Sense for £15 each + £1.50 postage.

<<>>

Which best 2021 cycle product purchase do you nominate?
Audax67

Re: Nominate your best cycling product purchase of 2021

Post by Audax67 »

This:

Slow cooker for wax-lubing chain with wax/PTFE mix. I actually bought it for <20€ in the post-Xmas 2020 sales but I didn't get the PTFE until 2021. Anyway, I'm now using two chains alternately: every 600k the one on the bike comes off & gets cleaned and re-waxed then hung up, while the one that's already done goes onto the bike. Last chain I treated this way reached 5600 km with much less than 0.5% extension before getting impressively b0rked when I put the RD into the back wheel, so I think I can get ~10,000 km per chain.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

What's the recipe today folks. :lol:

Good idea, ive got an old slow cooker hanging around which i can prise out of SWMBO's grasp.
What are you using for your lub mixture. ?

As an alternative you could keep the mix in a large glass jar then microwave it to heat it up before dunking the cleaned chain in
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Either Carradice bar bag I got second hand otp, or front mudguards for the recumbent trike. The latter may be the biggest game changer but have not been used in anger.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
WOT

Post by WOT »

Nitto NJS72 W44 27.0
I’m done with single screw saddle clamps.
Attachments
6220358B-A99E-4F24-A72C-6529F43E1AAD.jpeg
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Either the Bikefit wedges for my clears which have reduced my ankle soreness or the new Cube Attain GTC , great to ride an with disc brakes and stealth mudguards.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Debs wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 1:15am

My award goes to the Busch & Muller bar-end Star Mirror.
I got one of those on Mick F's recommendation in a post somewhere, a handy item for sure, and it might indeed have come 'top of my pops'( if I had a chart).
However I think my best item is a pair of braces I bought from a charity shop a month back, keeps me strides up without all that unpleasant below the gut, belt-bunching I used to get.
A good diet plan might be a contender in the coming year!
Nu-Fogey
Debs

Post by Debs »

colin54 wrote: 1 Jan 2022, 11:38am However I think my best item is a pair of braces I bought from a charity shop a month back, keeps me strides up without all that unpleasant below the gut, belt-bunching I used to get.
I guess it's a case of whatever works, i remember folk wearing braces on lycra shorts back in the 90s, lycra shorts must have been baggier in them days.

Meanwhile, a couple of weeks ago i was having one of my remembrance rummages though my forgotten wardrobe of yesteryore cycle clobber, which contains garments up to almost 40 years old, when suddenly i was lucky to find a pair of lycra bib-shorts in as new condition and certainly only a few years old... but something on my mind worried me why they would be dumped in the old-stuff wardrobe (?) ..so thinking they would be just the job for wearing under winter bib-tights i did just that on my next ride.... and it was on this ride i remembered why this particular pair of bib-shorts were placed so out of the way; they had a hard nylon stitching around the padded gusset, which after riding for half an hour or so, became a saw tooth action around the inner-crutch, which became very painful to pedal after an hour, and even more painful in the bath later. Those bib-shorts went in the bin :|
drossall

Post by drossall »

I still wear braces with various pairs of cycling longs. It just works.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

A cheap 26" mountain bike tyre from local Wilko's.
£11:99 if memory serves.
I don't manage to do online shopping any more.

I was a bit desperate (old tyre really worn out) so grabbed anything they had- thinking it would be a stop gap.
Only has a "pimple" type tread pattern
It has proved very reliable ( no fairies) and grips surprisingly well,
Been pleasantly surprised.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I was given one of these for Christmas.

[Edit]
That wasn't my purchase, but this was
Richard M
Cardiff
ket

Post by ket »

Debs wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 1:15am Image

My award goes to the Busch & Muller bar-end Star Mirror 901/2 :D

Purchased two for both my bikes, the best mirror i've had by far, and i've had quite a few (that are no where near as good)

Can be purchased from Cycle Sense for £15 each + £1.50 postage.

<<>>

Which best 2021 cycle product purchase do you nominate?
+1 for the B+M Star bar-end mirror. From Cyclesense too.
Got one on both bikes after Mick F's recommendation in another post.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What a great topic!
I'm going for the mirror :D although it'll means I have to swap the bar-end shifter to t'other side.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re braces.

A bit of a blast from thIe past but I think they are great. Through being short in the leg, in 1967 I was issued with a pair of winter weight uniform trousers of a quality from an earlier age, and a cut from an earlier age intended for wearing with braces only. In those days, the uniform trousers normally had belt loops and buttons for braces. I used to keep trouser buttons salvaged from discarded uniform trousers in a tobacco tin as spares. I'd be cautious about sewing buttons onto Lycra but I sewed them on all my Tudor plusses and longs. One thing I found more comfy when riding in braces was to cross them at the front, which removed the tendency to rub the front of the arm pits. IME, the best braces for buttons used to be from places like Millets - as they used to be - claimed to be RAF surplus. Really good quality. I needed some buttons-type braces recently and the best I could find were RAF copies: ok but not a patch on the original
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

the best braces for buttons used to be from places like Millets
True Story - you'll perhaps recall Hyacinth Bucket? Well, my folks used to revolve in the same social circles as the grande damme of the Millet family and likewise, she would insist that the name was spoken as Mee Yeh...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)