Travel to celebrate NYE in England's more relaxed covid restrictions, OK or not?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Travel to celebrate NYE in England's more relaxed covid restrictions, OK or not?

Post by Tangled Metal »

BBC news had just interviewed two young women who travelled to party around Carlisle City centre tonight. They came from Glasgow because of the stricter Scottish restrictions AND all their friends have covid! Are people really that stupid?

Apparently there's a lot of Scots in Carlisle tonight. Is that right? Ludicrous that the whole of the UK can't keep the rules the same. Stupid that people put a good time over accepting their local restrictions.

Apparently Cumbria and Lancashire had among the lowest omicron cases in the UK a few weeks back but this past week it has been rising. I expect Carlisle to be a hotspot.

Me and my family are staying at home and I intend to get out again on my recumbent. If only people could get their jollies on a bike rather than drinking to excess in crowded pubs during a pandemic with a new strain spreading like wildfire. Still, I'm going to continue my avoidance of people until covid slows again. I'm not sure if seeing what people are like during this pandemic has made me antisocial or just brought it to the surface! :lol:
661-Pete

Re: Travel to celebrate NYE in England's more relaxed covid restrictions, OK or not?

Post by 661-Pete »

I know this isn't really a joke, but I can't help wondering - could these hapless young ladies be persuaded to continue their journey as far south as York*...?

*Actually, the Grauniad story is a myth, the law has long since been repealed. Pity... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Paulatic

Re: Travel to celebrate NYE in England's more relaxed covid restrictions, OK or not?

Post by Paulatic »

BBC Scotland has a headline "Scotland's target of 100% electricity generated from renewables missed". We are at 98.6 :D
Border news tried the same story and spoke to a couple from Annan who had done some shopping in Carlisle and were having a couple of drinks before going home. The last train I suspect.
Moffat was full of tourists yesterday but unlike a few people having a drink isn’t newsworthy.
Barrow and Copeland are the most recent hotspots after London they are in the top 5.
I have a walk with a friend in the village every couple of weeks and we both agree, as we are both fairly anti social, the virus hasn’t bothered our social life one little bit. :lol:
Ludicrous that the whole of the UK can't keep the rules the same.
Which countries rules would we follow?
Do you know Scotland is ranked third in the world for delivering the booster jag. Wales helps England with 4 million tests because they can’t plan ahead. All nations being in step with England might not go down too well :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

He'll not like England. Wales would be my bet as the best set of restrictions but Scotland too would be good.

Having said that it's not a few shoppers it's late night boozers filmed tonight after dark in full night out clobber. Early 20s lasses in full makeup, party frocks and heels. Not shopping get up you normalay see. Then there's the 60 something man who's made the point about just up the road you can't go out for a drink so we come here. A few others too who were happy to go on camera to say they're flouting the Scottish restrictions by hopping over the border. Ridiculous and indefensible IMHO.

Barrow is a rule unto itself. It has pretty much been a hotspot throughout this pandemic I think.

I think yourin the wrong thread with the renewable comment. Where were the Moffat tourists from? Were they there from England to avoid following stricter English covid restrictions aimed at restricting the spread of omicron variant? :lol: If not then whataboutery I call.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 10:21pm Apparently there's a lot of Scots in Carlisle tonight. Is that right? Ludicrous that the whole of the UK can't keep the rules the same. Stupid that people put a good time over accepting their local restrictions.
Lots of Scots in Newcastle last night apparently. Do I mind? - no. Of course I wasn't there I but spent the week over Christmas in two different hotels a long way from where I live. Excluding breakfasts and snacks we ate out four times (two different restaurants) and had other dinners at two private homes. Saw relatives we've not seen for a long time. As of right now no Covid seems to be sweeping through the family. Very good Christmas though!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

@TM, I think yourin the wrong thread with the renewable comment. Where were the Moffat tourists from? Were they there from England to avoid following stricter English covid restrictions aimed at restricting the spread of omicron variant? :lol: If not then whataboutery I call.
Right thread you missed the point I was making :D
BBC news, after watching it you made all the thoughts and assumptions they wanted you to take. So much so you were stirred to broadcast and comment on it. Ask yourself why they tried to make a story out of people crossing the border? As I pointed out people are crossing the border both ways but not reportable news. You’ll find Scot’s in Carlisle drinking most nights its a certain kind of person who wants to spend their night in Wetherspoons Botchergate. As I said Border news couldn’t find anyone out of the norm.
I won’t/ can’t watch BBC news anymore it makes me angry :oops: but do land on their web pages. BBC Scotland have one purpose to support the Union and make Scotland look bad.
Here’s a recent example of the same news reported in different ways.
19230F29-B3D6-4093-AAF8-7EE4C06AB552.jpeg

E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

@paulactic you missed my point I think too. I remember the first incarnation of the tier system I questioned a lot the use of large scale boundaries considering it groups high infection rate areas with very low areas with boundaries that locals normally cross as part of their daily life. Technically against the rules. I got heavily criticised for that. However now it seems you think that's now OK.

However there were people travelling a lot further from Glasgow. A city with normally a good nightlife but due to restrictions perhaps not allowed now. So it's OK to break local rules and travel over an hour to not just another county, but another nation with different rules. No matter whether this was a story to create conflict or mislead is irrelevant because they found and filmed examples. Are those examples acceptable or not? Now it seems you're saying they are. Bear in mind there's a big difference between local travel across boundaries but another to cross multiple boundaries. Perhaps you can confirm the exact number of county and unitary authorities they crossed from Glasgow to Carlisle let alone a national boundary with different rules and covid policies.

I know you have an opinion that any news outlet critical of Scots or their politics is simply biased. But taking that aside is it OK to breach boundaries with different rules with something as important as covid pandemic? I must admit I was annoyed with the first tier system in 2020 but I took on board comments on here and elsewhere to stop crossing boundaries where possible. Have you changed your view to believe it's now OK?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

@paulactic you missed my point I think too. I remember the first incarnation of the tier system I questioned a lot the use of large scale boundaries considering it groups high infection rate areas with very low areas with boundaries that locals normally cross as part of their daily life. Technically against the rules. I got heavily criticised for that. However now it seems you think that's now OK.
Don’t know exactly what you are referring to but I’d guess it was over a year ago. Do you not believe things are more relaxed now to back then. Have we not had a couple more jags since then? As you say "technically against the rules" Are there any similar rules now a year on? AFAIK I thought people were now free to travel now and why a town full of tourists is not newsworthy.
However there were people travelling a lot further from Glasgow.
Two girls you tell me apparently newsworthy. Depending where they were from would have travelled through D&G or even Lanarkshire and D&G. Does it matter you follow the rules of wherever you are at the time is my understanding. Try telling that to a lot of English people when they enter the M&S at my local services :lol:
Try the #Carlislenewyear on Twitter and you’ll discover what a joke it’s all been.
I know you have an opinion that any news outlet critical of Scots or their politics is simply biased
Untrue, criticism is fine if it’s justified. I have an opinion the BBC should report the news as it is without trying to deliver any U.K. gov agenda. I assume you find the two examples, from the last week alone, I gave as totally acceptable. Can you explain to me why the glaring difference in the similar isolation news for Wales and Scotland?
is it OK to breach boundaries with different rules with something as important as covid pandemic?
You follow the guidelines of the country you’re in I’d have thought and if there are any rules then the shining example from Downing street on how to break them has made any rule worthless.

Scotgov advice relevant for the time avoid travelling to other parts of the UK to attend events, celebrations and other activities, if they are not permitted in Scotland.

E2E info
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Travelling to England in a few days time -- anyone know what the restrictions are if you get covid 19 ? ( none of us have it presently although prevalence is very high I believe here ( NI ) and England.)
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 7:34pm Travelling to England in a few days time -- anyone know what the restrictions are if you get covid 19 ? ( none of us have it presently although prevalence is very high I believe here ( NI ) and England.)
NHS advice in England:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

Cowsham wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 7:34pm Travelling to England in a few days time -- anyone know what the restrictions are if you get covid 19 ? ( none of us have it presently although prevalence is very high I believe here ( NI ) and England.)
No restrictions, just get on with your life :wink:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yes, it's as if it's all been forgotten about, all the drive through testing centres have been gone a while now.
Last edited by philvantwo on 30 Jun 2022, 6:31am, edited 1 time in total.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I'm glad someone posted a ink to an NHS site with relevant information and didn't waffle on about some totally irrelevant stuff to do with their holiday.
Richard M
Cardiff
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

ossie wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 9:40pm
No restrictions, just get on with your life :wink:
Thanks
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

philvantwo wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:06pm Shame some folk are just plain lazy and post a link to the NHS.
:lol: maybe shame on me -- I couldn't be bothered to look it up.