Max time/expense/difficulty to get to the start of a European tour?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Max time/expense/difficulty to get to the start of a European tour?

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 1:12pm I've asked Cycling UK to talk to Brittany Ferries about bikes again.
Just had a reply. And they've updated their web page:

***Update 23 February 2021***

Brittany Ferries are now running a normal service and carrying cyclists.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/britt ... hats-story

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 4:04pm
Jdsk wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 1:12pm I've asked Cycling UK to talk to Brittany Ferries about bikes again.

Jonathan
Excellent news
mjr

Post by mjr »

Update from last year?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 6:36pm
Will the shorter trips include shaking down all of the kit?

That's the plan. New bike testing just started, luggage bought. The main thing to verify is how will me feet cope with 50+ miles in my Spesh SPD shoes. The most I'be ever done in them is about 30 miles. Longer distances tend to be on my road bike and wearing my Spesh road shoes with Look cleats.

PH wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 8:57pm
Navrig wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 6:26pm Ironically the train to Plymouth is the most expensive leg of the non-cycling journey!! That's even trying split tickets
Are you looking at 2023 prices, or a sample from this year?
Discount tickets don't become available till nearer the time, usually IME 3 months.
I am getting prices now for a late March/early April 2022 departure. Purely for budgetary purposes. However I did this exercise a couple of years ago (pre-pandemic) and it was the same.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Navrig wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 2:29pm
Jdsk wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 6:36pm Will the shorter trips include shaking down all of the kit?
That's the plan. New bike testing just started, luggage bought. The main thing to verify is how will me feet cope with 50+ miles in my Spesh SPD shoes. The most I'be ever done in them is about 30 miles. Longer distances tend to be on my road bike and wearing my Spesh road shoes with Look cleats.
Sounds smart. Especially if you're going to be away from support or if any delay would be serious.

Jonathan
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

CJ wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 11:18pm
Slowtwitch wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 9:26am I haven't had any issues on the Santander route, used it twice last year.
Most services to Santander use the Pont Aven 'cruise ferry', that has so much passenger capacity that cyclists are generally welcome. Problems arise when a cyclist wants to go to Bilbao or take advantage of the cheaper prices on 'no frills' services, where Brittany Ferries use freight oriented ships with less generous passenger facilities compared to the size of the vehicle deck. On those they're afraid of getting stymied by the passenger limit before the more lucrative vehicle space is sold out.
They seem to take motorcycles to bilbao, so if a cyclist was prepared to pay the same as a motorcyclist, couldn't they temporarily, for the journey fit an oversized electric motor to become classed as a moped, bring mc helmet only for journey, buy insurance for a few days, etc but then if prepared to pay the same or almost the same, why couldnt they avoid the charade and just go as a cyclist...... Of course, only of use to those to whom going by ferry is more important than cost though , but some people really dont like flying.... but perhaps could be an option on routes without large foot passenger capacity unlike spain which has the santander ferry alternative.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You normally need a reg no to book a vehicle on a ferry. Don't know if it is checked.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 8:39am

Update from last year?
2022. Now amended, and they say "Thankyou".

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Navrig wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 6:26pm Ironically the train to Plymouth is the most expensive leg of the non-cycling journey!! That's even trying split tickets
Discount tickets don't become available till nearer the time, usually IME 3 months.
I am getting prices now for a late March/early April 2022 departure. Purely for budgetary purposes. However I did this exercise a couple of years ago (pre-pandemic) and it was the same.
Yes, that's probably the bets you can do. Out of interest what prices have you found? It's sometimes possible to beat the splitting websites, particularity if time isn't of the essence. I saved £30 once by having a couple of hours in Newcastle between trains, paid for a decent lunch and a bit of change, plus the satisfaction of a bargain.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

PH wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 8:04pm
Yes, that's probably the bets you can do. Out of interest what prices have you found? It's sometimes possible to beat the splitting websites, particularity if time isn't of the essence. I saved £30 once by having a couple of hours in Newcastle between trains, paid for a decent lunch and a bit of change, plus the satisfaction of a bargain.
There are 2 trains a day which stop at our local station and go all the way to Plymouth. The idea of trying to hop on and off trains to save, say, £30 is not appealing. Trainline's cheapest route takes me through London which involves routing across London from KIngsX to, I think, Waterloo. Again that is not appealing.

The split ticketing sites seem to suggest they can save me about 5% on a £220 fare (direct to Plymouth).

On the assumption that I stay in hostels then the £30 saving is equivalent to one night of accommodation and that's across about 84 nights.
PH

Post by PH »

Navrig wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 11:17pm The split ticketing sites seem to suggest they can save me about 5% on a £220 fare (direct to Plymouth).
Fair enough, there are bargains to be had, but they nearly always require some flexibility which I appreciate doesn't suit all.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Navrig wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 11:17pm
PH wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 8:04pm

There are 2 trains a day which stop at our local station and go all the way to Plymouth. The idea of trying to hop on and off trains to save, say, £30 is not appealing. Trainline's cheapest route takes me through London which involves routing across London from KIngsX to, I think, Waterloo. Again that is not appealing.

The split ticketing sites seem to suggest they can save me about 5% on a £220 fare (direct to Plymouth).

On the assumption that I stay in hostels then the £30 saving is equivalent to one night of accommodation and that's across about 84 nights.
It would be Paddington to Plymouth. There's a lovely off-road route along the Regency Canal, past Regent's Park/London Zoo and Little Venice. Deposits you outside the hospital next door to the station. Only difficult bit is through the foodie market in Camden - but a good spot for lunch.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

st599_uk wrote: 1 Mar 2022, 9:56am It would be Paddington to Plymouth. There's a lovely off-road route along the Regency Canal, past Regent's Park/London Zoo and Little Venice. Deposits you outside the hospital next door to the station. Only difficult bit is through the foodie market in Camden - but a good spot for lunch.
Where difficult means cycling is banned and there's a cobbled hump back bridge. Regent's Canal is now often a very congested route (foot and bike traffic) with few views because it's in a cutting and the ever-present threat of a swim

Much easier and quicker to leave King's Cross southwards, turn west onto Tavistock Place and then keep heading west by any obvious route until you cross Edgware Road into the Sussex Gardens/Lancaster Gate area. Turn right and you'll hit Paddington, the canal or signs to Paddington. If you reach Cycleway 3, you've overshot, but not by much and turning right will take you there.

Like Navrig, I'd still want more than £30 saving for the inconvenience of the transfer, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
CJ

Post by CJ »

simonhill wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 4:42pm You normally need a reg no to book a vehicle on a ferry. Don't know if it is checked.
In addition to refusing non-motorised bookings outright, ferry companies often charge less for four in a car - with bikes on top - than four individuals on top of bikes!

I can't help wondering what would happen if the car broke down a few miles from the port and the four passengers were nevertheless to turn up at check-in, on their bikes instead? I guess it would help if they had the abandoned car's V5C Registration Certificate to hand - or maybe an insurance document would do?

I would love for Cycling UK to stage a stunt like this. Now that so many cyclists habitually wear cameras on their helmets, it would be easy to make a casual recording of the process.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Just worth updating this to include Flixbus which is ok about bikes and goes to the sort of places that work. I remember that glucas is using one to come home from Venice and I’ve seen it mentioned a few other times.

https://www.flixbus.co.uk/service/bike-travel