Max time/expense/difficulty to get to the start of a European tour?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Max time/expense/difficulty to get to the start of a European tour?

Post by simonhill »

Most airports now charge a drop off fee - about a fiver, normally.

CJ, I presume your friend's bike that was refused on the bus was a bike, not boxed or bagged - or was it.

For my last few trips I have been using a Groundeffect Body Bag. An expensive Kiwi soft bag. It's tough, but I line it with cardboard, plus some pipe lagging, etc. The bike has survived 2 EU trips and a long haul from Japan with transit. Last time outbound, I managed to carry the cardboard on the back of the bike, but had minimal cycling (2kms), plus 3 train changes. I carry the bag in my panniers, which saves the hassles at the end and I can leave quickly if necessitated by these troubled times.

I prefer a cardboard box, but getting to the airport is the hassle. A mate used to do it for £50, but he has given up and now it's likely to be nearer £100.
slowster

Post by slowster »

MrsHJ wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 9:06am I’m now replacing my pedals too as I think the threads are also a bit worn on them.
I would normally expect only the aluminim crank threads to be likely to be damaged, since the pedal threads are usually steel.

MKS make tool-free, quick detach versions of some of their pedals, designated Ezy and Ezy Superior. Unfortunately only a few of them are readily available in the UK, e.g. not the clipless version, and they are expensive, exorbitantly so in the case of at least one retailer (not SJS or Spa).

Ezy range - https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/term/4

Ezy Superior range - https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/term/3

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?ter ... &brand=mks

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m17b0s183p0 ... emountable

Easier to buy in the US, but still expensive - https://www.renehersecycles.com/product ... ts/pedals/
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

"I drive a 2008 Astra estate by the way"
This is the only reason I bought my VW Tiguan. With the second row of seats down I can load by bike with the wheels on and lots of space for luggage.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

CJ wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 11:45amI drive a 2008 Astra estate by the way: it's not such a big car, but the rear seats fold flat so a couple of big 1.5m-long bike boxes slide in the back no problem, with room around the sides or on top for a suitcase or two. I'd like to go electric when that wears out, but can't see any electric car that converts to offer the same van-like cargo space without being hugely bigger than my old Astra. Any ideas? Maybe in another thread.
Yes, please. How about this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=148970&start=90

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 8 Jan 2022, 2:18pmYou’ll get a interegional train to Brig and the glacier express to Andermatt-presumably you’ll stay overnight there?. Then there’s a little train for the final leg from Andermatt to the start if you don’t want to begin with a climb. Swiss railways (SBB) are good with the bikes- use the app for e tickets and also buy a day pass for the bike. On the routes mentioned I didn’t need a bike reservation when I did it last summer as you only need a reservation for the inter city trains I think but obviously do check.
Our last connection from Zurich to Andermatt involved lifting the bikes quite high and round a corner to get them into the passenger area. We have a routine for doing this... two riders, two bikes, no front panniers. But other cyclists joined in to help anyway.

Edited: It was Basel to Andermatt.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 9 Jan 2022, 4:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 3:40pm
MrsHJ wrote: 8 Jan 2022, 2:18pmYou’ll get a interegional train to Brig and the glacier express to Andermatt-presumably you’ll stay overnight there?. Then there’s a little train for the final leg from Andermatt to the start if you don’t want to begin with a climb. Swiss railways (SBB) are good with the bikes- use the app for e tickets and also buy a day pass for the bike. On the routes mentioned I didn’t need a bike reservation when I did it last summer as you only need a reservation for the inter city trains I think but obviously do check.
Our last connection from Zurich to Andermatt involved lifting the bikes quite high and round a corner to get them into the passenger area. We have a routine for doing this... two riders, two bikes, no front panniers. But other cyclists joined in to help anyway.

Jonathan
Maybe a different train? - the Zurich line towards Andermatt that is- maybe called the Gottard train- can you remember your route? Swiss rail is amazing isn’t it with so many access points to little places in the mountains. I tend to travel by myself at the moment and agree that other cyclists (and non cyclist) help but I’m keen not to be stranded so I have to be able to do it by myself. Also sometimes you’ll get 2 types of train on a line- a nice modern style you roll onto and a more old fashioned type that involves lifting. From Geneva you’ll usually take the glacier express- although I got off at Oberwald it was going onto Andermatt which was another stop or 2. https://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/travel-planning/route/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 4:06pm
Jdsk wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 3:40pm
Maybe a different train? - the Zurich line towards Andermatt that is- maybe called the Gottard train- can you remember your route? Swiss rail is amazing isn’t it with so many access points to little places in the mountains. I tend to travel by myself at the moment and agree that other cyclists (and non cyclist) help but I’m keen not to be stranded so I have to be able to do it by myself. Also sometimes you’ll get 2 types of train on a line- a nice modern style you roll onto and a more old fashioned type that involves lifting. From Geneva you’ll usually take the glacier express- although I got off at Oberwald it was going onto Andermatt which was another stop or 2. https://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/travel-planning/route/
Doh! It was Basel to Andermatt.

Sorry.

Would the last train have been Göschenen to Andermatt?

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

[quote=Jdsk post_id=1664669 time=1641744492 user_id=
Sorry.

Would the last train have been Göschenen to Andermatt?

Jonathan
[/quote]

I think for the gottard line yes, no need to apologise. Fantasy travel for a rainy Sunday afternoon. Swiss rail is very good. I’d recommend the glacier express just for the trip.

The link I posted seems to be for the same line but the flashy service with meals and reservations. I did the same journey with no reservation (or meal!) on a nice but regular train - I think it still had glacier express logos.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 9 Jan 2022, 5:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Trouble with being on your own is unloading.

Bike off first, find somewhere to lean it and you hope train won't set off before you clamber back on to get your bags.

Bags off first, leave on platform while you quickly re-enter train for bike, hoping no one nicks a bag.

It's always good when someone sees your plight and lends a hand.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

simonhill wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 5:13pm Trouble with being on your own is unloading.

Bike off first, find somewhere to lean it and you hope train won't set off before you clamber back on to get your bags.

Bags off first, leave on platform while you quickly re-enter train for bike, hoping no one nicks a bag.

It's always good when someone sees your plight and lends a hand.
I usually chuck my panniers out onto the platform (nothing breakable in there), leave the bar bag on the bike or carry it on me by the strap and then carry the bike off.
CJ

Post by CJ »

simonhill wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 12:03pmCJ, I presume your friend's bike that was refused on the bus was a bike, not boxed or bagged - or was it.
It was heavily bagged. Shuttle bus drivers know what a bike-bag looks like.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

CJ wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 11:45amI drive a 2008 Astra estate by the way: it's not such a big car, but the rear seats fold flat so a couple of big 1.5m-long bike boxes slide in the back no problem, with room around the sides or on top for a suitcase or two. I'd like to go electric when that wears out, but can't see any electric car that converts to offer the same van-like cargo space without being hugely bigger than my old Astra. Any ideas? Maybe in another thread.
Some suggestions:
viewtopic.php?p=1664664#p1664664

Jonathan
SA_SA_SA

Re: Max time/expense to get to the start of a European tour?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

CJ wrote:.....As a British cycle-tourist who learnt Spanish at school .....it pains me greatly that flying is now the only practical way of exploring my favourite country in my favourite way - apart from the ferry to Santander.
Do you prefer trains to the ferry? I think I'd prefer the Santander ferry (which for me would really be 2 trains to Cork or ride to Cork and ferry..)

I hope your leg is healing well.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
CJ

Re: Max time/expense to get to the start of a European tour?

Post by CJ »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 3:12pmDo you prefer trains to the ferry? I think I'd prefer the Santander ferry (which for me would really be 2 trains to Cork or ride to Cork and ferry..)
If the trains would also carry my bike as it is, I would prefer trains, for three reasons.
1) Trains are a whole lot quicker
2) High-speed trains go to all parts of Spain, not just Santander, which I've been to already, several times.
3) Last but not least, if the point of NOT flying is to avoid burning carbon, high-speed trains are electric (potentially renewable or nuclear-powered) whereas the ferry to Spain is a badly-insulated floating hotel, powered by burning gunky bunker oil for 36 hours per trip, the carbon footprint of which may well be just as bad as a 2 or 3 hour flight!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

But ferries are normally mainly funded by freight, so going anyway, trains are still only possibly renewable powered , ships can move / are moving to greener power too , and I haven't seen any reports suggesting passengers on ropax ferries are worse than trains or even planes, when everything such as freight cargo is considered, have you found any?

To be fair the comparison would need to campare the fuel needed to also transport the ropax ships' freight cargo by air if comparing with planes or land if comparing with trains... I am dubious that planes could win that?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)