Max time/expense/difficulty to get to the start of a European tour?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Max time/expense/difficulty to get to the start of a European tour?

Post by Jdsk »

I've asked Cycling UK to talk to Brittany Ferries about bikes again.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

bohrsatom wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 8:56pm
MrsHJ wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 8:18pm Out of interest what are the logistics for getting to Stansted airport by train.

It looks like the stansted express doesn’t take bikes except folders.
It could be tough - the train route to Stansted airport is particularly cyclist unfriendly. My personal experience from a few years ago is that station staff are flexible even if trains don’t officially allow bikes, but of course you can’t rely on this.

I suspect your only guaranteed cycle-friendly route would be to take a non Stansted Express train to Stansted Mountfitchet then ride the final few miles to the airport, which rather sucks!
I haven't used the route recently, but I used to use it, with my bike, and just asked nicely. The one time I had a bit of uncertainty, my alternative, the Norwich line, had a replacement bus service, so I just explained that since I wasn't sure of using the replacement bus service, could I please take the Stansted express? I was given a rather gruff sort, 'just don't get any oil on the seats' or something to that affect.

That said, it seems ridiculous that they advertise "NO LIMIT ON LUGGAGE SPACE", yet say only folded folding bike are allowed on board. I'm pretty sure that their policy used to say that only folding & boxed bikes were allowed on board. If there's no limit on luggage space, surely they can take boxed bikes? :?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Vorpal wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 1:55pm
bohrsatom wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 8:56pm
MrsHJ wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 8:18pm Out of interest what are the logistics for getting to Stansted airport by train.

It looks like the stansted express doesn’t take bikes except folders.
It could be tough - the train route to Stansted airport is particularly cyclist unfriendly. My personal experience from a few years ago is that station staff are flexible even if trains don’t officially allow bikes, but of course you can’t rely on this.

I suspect your only guaranteed cycle-friendly route would be to take a non Stansted Express train to Stansted Mountfitchet then ride the final few miles to the airport, which rather sucks!
I haven't used the route recently, but I used to use it, with my bike, and just asked nicely. The one time I had a bit of uncertainty, my alternative, the Norwich line, had a replacement bus service, so I just explained that since I wasn't sure of using the replacement bus service, could I please take the Stansted express? I was given a rather gruff sort, 'just don't get any oil on the seats' or something to that affect.

That said, it seems ridiculous that they advertise "NO LIMIT ON LUGGAGE SPACE", yet say only folded folding bike are allowed on board. I'm pretty sure that their policy used to say that only folding & boxed bikes were allowed on board. If there's no limit on luggage space, surely they can take boxed bikes? :?
If its in a box/case its no longer a bike but a box or case.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 1:12pm I've asked Cycling UK to talk to Brittany Ferries about bikes again.

Jonathan
They look ok for France when I’ve been looking at. Booking but I seem to remember Santander can be an issue. In Spain you can probably meet someone at the campsite with a camper van who’ll take your bike and you can be a foot passenger. We did that when I went home in plaster and crutches one year after cycling from roscof and then sticking my foot down a rabbit hole in Santander. Clearly not an ideal approach.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I haven't had any issues on the Santander route, used it twice last year.
50sbiker

Post by 50sbiker »

I have just booked Santander to Plymouth in June..Two adults plus two bikes.No problem on website.Am I missing something?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

50sbiker wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 1:08pm I have just booked Santander to Plymouth in June..Two adults plus two bikes.No problem on website.Am I missing something?
Probably not.

Thanks for sharing the experience, especially when so much is changing.

Jonathan
CJ

Post by CJ »

Slowtwitch wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 9:26am I haven't had any issues on the Santander route, used it twice last year.
Most services to Santander use the Pont Aven 'cruise ferry', that has so much passenger capacity that cyclists are generally welcome. Problems arise when a cyclist wants to go to Bilbao or take advantage of the cheaper prices on 'no frills' services, where Brittany Ferries use freight oriented ships with less generous passenger facilities compared to the size of the vehicle deck. On those they're afraid of getting stymied by the passenger limit before the more lucrative vehicle space is sold out.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I like the Santander crossing because it isn't usually busy (outside of the few weeks in high summer), wet dont take the car, so it's relatively straightforward for us.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

I chose my planned starting point for my retirement (and first) tour. I live on the east coast of Scotland and I regularly travelled (for business) on the Cross Country Glasgow to Plymouth train. That made me look at what ferries left from Plymouth.

I am now planning Santander to Athens as my first long distance tour. It will be 2023. Meantime I have a new bike coming and two shorter trips in Scotland planned.

The journey will be:
Scotland - Plymouth (train)
Plymouth - Santander (ferry)
Santander - Athens (cycling)
Athens - Edinburgh (flying)

Ironically the train to Plymouth is the most expensive leg of the non-cycling journey!! That's even trying split tickets
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sounds great. Have fun.

Will the shorter trips include shaking down all of the kit?

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Navrig wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 6:26pm Ironically the train to Plymouth is the most expensive leg of the non-cycling journey!! That's even trying split tickets
Are you looking at 2023 prices, or a sample from this year?
Discount tickets don't become available till nearer the time, usually IME 3 months.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I've kind of come to accept that the first day or day and 1/2 may be a bit grim but it's worth it! I'd probably accept up to about 2 days max traveling each way of a 2 week tour. I've learned a bit how to make flying a bit less painful: emailing bike shops ahead to get a box for the way home or booking a hotel at the destination where I can have a good rest on arrival and leave box etc.
Some ferry trips can even feel like part of the holiday! Eg Plymouth (or Portsmouth?) to Santander overnight and whale/dolphin watching.
The European bike express is great and I hope it continues. Not the cheapest but so hassle free and you don't have to worry about getting your bike on trains or it getting damaged.
For me the worst/most stressful part is trying to book everything to line up eg trains to airports/ferry ports that aren't too expensive and have bike reservations available.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 8:57pm
Navrig wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 6:26pm Ironically the train to Plymouth is the most expensive leg of the non-cycling journey!! That's even trying split tickets
Are you looking at 2023 prices, or a sample from this year?
Discount tickets don't become available till nearer the time, usually IME 3 months.
2 months usual at the moment, but some routes still 3 months, a few 1 month or less. Full list at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fa ... 44703.aspx
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Navrig wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 6:26pmIronically the train to Plymouth is the most expensive leg of the non-cycling journey!! That's even trying split tickets
I guess that's because shipping doesn't pay for maintenance of the sea, nor 'planes for the air.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.