PLYMOUTH TO EXETER

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Re: PLYMOUTH TO EXETER

Post by honesty »

Getting to Taunton from Okehampton again 2 options I’ve done -

1. From Okehampton, head out on the B3215 then make your way to The old turnpike that goes out through Morchard Bishop, Littleborough Cross, Pennymoor and Tiverton. Just be aware the short section just before Withleigh is not really cyclable (unless you can cycle up incredibly steep very damaged cobble road I’d turn just before it to get on the B3137). From Tiverton you can take the canal out and to Taunton, or go up to Bampton and go that way.

2. Take the old A30 to Crediton, cut through on the back lanes to Thorverton, skirt under Silverton, cut past the mill and get on the B3181 (I wouldn’t go through Bradninch as there’s a really steep hill going out of it). Follow this through Cullompton and Willand. Then head over to Uffculme, Nicholashayne, Sampford Moor and Wellington.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

"NA where are you :)"
Concocting :P
One of the most enjoyable rides will probably be to use the coast all the way.
Without a doubt one of the most scenic of routes.

If you're going via Dartmoor I would suggest to use the drakes trail to get up to Yelverton then go onto Tavistock then Princetown, or you can simply cut Up to Princetown From Yelverton.
From there you just head past Postbridge and onto Moretonhampstead.
From there go to Dunsford Then Longdown and finally Exeter.

You could also go via South Dartmoor which is just skirting along the edge of the moor.
Unless you're interested in going to Totnes I would just head along to Heathfield, from there a cycle path will take you to Newton Abbott, head to the coast and then at Dawlish the cycle path is continuous all the way to Exeter and Exmouth / Haldon / Teign Valley.

1) Scenic coast route, continuous off-road cycle path is from Dawlish to Exmouth, the hills start at Slapton sands :)
Only coastal winds and hills to contend with part way.
Yealmton - Modbury - Kingsbridge - Slapton - Street - Blackpool Sands - Dartmouth - take the Ferry / Totnes?
Kingswear - Berry Head - Follow the coast to Shaldon - Teignmouth, Then (all off road cycle path) Dawlish to Exeter / Exmouth.
There are a few killer hills thrown in there :mrgreen:

2) South Dartmoor route, (Easiest route.) would be mostly lanes Quiet, Plympton, Ivybridge, South Brent, Buckfast, Chudleigh Knighton, Haldon to Exeter. Haldon is the only Hill to worry you.
Only problem parts are N-East of Harbourneford and two small parts N-East of Ashburton.
The route zigzags the A38, some of the A38 has offroad pavement adjacent for cyclist, ashburton to bickington and stover & heathfield to chudliegh knighton.
You could turn off right at Heathfield and Stover Country park to the coast, off-road cycle path from Heathfield to Newton Abbot, Teignmouth then off-road cycle path Dawlish through to Exeter Exmouth.
Or between Chudleigh Knighton and Chudleigh, head off left up the Teign Valley to Long Down. Or Past Chudleigh to Haldon and on to Exeter.

Alternatively you could go through South Hams, Avonwick, Totnes, Newton Abbott, Kingsteignton, TeignValley, Long down / head to coast / head over Haldon
That would be mostly quiet lanes with no views. With exception of coast route bits.

3) Dartmoor route, easy off-road cycle path to Yelverton.
Then there is a cycle path also which takes you to Princetown (access via Burrator Resovoir / leave Yelverton and join the cycle path at a narrow bridge when you start to climb a hill), but this is more gravel uphill, disused railway bed, easy on a touring bike with 32 mm tires, alternatively you can go on an easy cycle path / road the short distance to Tavistock.
There is little point in going to Okehampton. Unless you want up hill all the way (I always find it a bit soul destroying south to north Plymouth to Oakhampton) It could be argued that it is the fastest?
And possible going south Exeter to Plymouth yes!
From Princetown you would simply, if you like the Moors route go to Two bridges, Postbridge, Moretonhampstead, Dunsford, Then down Long Down to Exeter.

Next to the coast ride the Moor route through the centre of the Moor is for sure most scenic (Nothing in Devon and Cornwall compares) if the weather is okay. ) (Dartmoor Take off 5C!) Also expect dramatic climbs and descents :)
You won't see anything until you get to Yelverton.
From there there will be many views of scenic tors, Either route, Yelverton to Princetown And Tavistock to Princetown.
From Princetown to Moretonhampstead are too many tors to mention, Be warned the route from Warren house Inn too Moretonhampstead Is the most exhilarating off the moors also one of the most dangerous in bad weather!
If you have time here then go to coast (extends the route but views on a nice day) if not then head straight to Long Down.

Dedicated Cycle paths -
Plymouth to Yelverton = easy / easier going south.
Burrator to Princetown disused railway bed = hardish uphill and gravel and has become rough of late.
(There is also Gutter Tor Elylesbarrow South Hessary Tor Princetown, not that bad even on a touring bike :) = hard at first to eylesbarrow then easy )
Yelverton to Tavistock = V-easy
Lydmouth to Oakhampton disused railway bed = V easy
Mortenhampstead to Bovey Tracy disused railway bed = easy down hill.
Bovey Tracy to Newton Abbot = V-easy
Dawlish to Exeter and Exmouth = V-easy

P.S. I see the OP knows most of his way around, I wrote this before seeing his latest post.
Which route would I take-
Probably the coast on a nice day.
The moors route if I was feeling athletic.
Dartmoor Route is shortest, Oakhampton is least climbing for each mile.
South Dartmoor is least climbing as well as short.
Coast is just for nutters :mrgreen:
Attachments
2022-01-02_204830.jpg
2022-01-02_203358.jpg
2022-01-02_201743.jpg
2022-01-02_200632.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Thanks NA - bags of info.
Honesty - just what I needed, so thanks. I know it's hilly, but it looks the quietest route to me and reasonably direct.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good morning guys.
For me, the way from Plymouth to Exeter would be up Route 27 to Tavistock, then via Brentor and Lydford, to join the Granite Way to Okehampton, then the Old A30 into Exeter.

Perhaps forget much of Route 27 as it's uphill all the way from Plymouth to Yeleverton ........... as it's hard work on a relentless uphill slope for 12miles. Much better heading south!

Instead go Route 27 but peel off at Plympton and head out over the hills via Cornwood, Wotter and Cadover Bridge to Yelverton. Good varied terrain and good scenery. Then back on Route 27 to Tavistock.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

horizon wrote: 2 Jan 2022, 3:50pm The Dartmoor route is great - I've done it - and at one time a stop-off at Bellever YH was possible (maybe still is). However there are reasons both the A38 and A30 run on the edges of the moor . . . :D :wink:
I've also done this, and stayed at Bellever YH. As far as I know the YH is still open (Covid permitting) Yes it's hilly, and be aware that weather conditions at sea level are not indicative of what to expect at 1000'.

I've also done Okehampton to Exeter on the the old A30 but I'm wondering, if you're ultimately heading for Bristol, then you might want to give Exeter a miss and head a little further north. A route that I've used is to follow the old A30 as far as Whiddon Down and then follow minor roads via Hittisleigh and Yoeford to Crediton. At Crediton pick up Rob's Passage* via Thorverton. There are various options from here but joining the B3181 at Hele and following the Culm valley towards Wellingnton would be my choice.

*Search this forum for Rob's Passage.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Thanks Norman H. I agree there's little point in going via Exeter, so your route looks good. Cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
My route illustrations (images) above are just to illustrate the miles and climbing, and I have tried to fill in some details.
On the Oakhampton route, I know well up to Oakhampton, I have no knowledge beyond Whiddon Down going east.
Which is the best road, cycle route or A30?

P.S. What slows you down in general will be killer hills which reduce your speed below say 8 mph, night riding, lots of junctions, lanes that meander.
So on some cycle paths you can make better headway, as they can be some what flat.
Remove the traffic and I find its a win win.
I luv fast roads but over time roads with traffic are becoming more a hazard every year.

I realise that the OP is trying to make it more laid back and interesting, so forgive my digressing :P
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Bellever hostel is now called YHA Dartmoor, in case anyone wants to stay there. It doesn't look like it is open until the end of March.

In case Mick F missed it, he has often posted on here about cycling to Bedford from near Plymouth, so may well also be able to comment on a route towards Tring from Exeter.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I don't think I've ever been on the A30 from Okehampton to Exeter, I've never driven it even.
So I went on Google Earth and had a look at the road A30, It's a dual carriageway all the way so there's no way you're going to cycle on that is there ha ha.

So you are going to use the recognised cycle route only?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I rode to Bedford and back a few times, as Daughter2 lived there.

Here's a pastiche of Here/Bridgwater, Bridgwater/Swindon and Swindon/Bedford.
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 10.34.58.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 10.37.18.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 10.36.51.png
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 10:27am Hi,
I don't think I've ever been on the A30 from Okehampton to Exeter, I've never driven it even.
So I went on Google Earth and had a look at the road A30, It's a dual carriageway all the way so there's no way you're going to cycle on that is there ha ha.

So you are going to use the recognised cycle route only?
We are talking about the OLD A30, NA!! :shock: :roll: :( :) :!: :mrgreen:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I know that was mentioned the old A30.
I see I will have to go and look at the map to see if the old A30 is still on and written.
I imagine that the cycle route that is marked on Maps follows the old A30.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Just a comment; is it possible that when locals use such terms as Old A30, etc. and mention Route numbers they could be accompanied by an explanation for those of us who are not familiar with the area and plan to ride through and are looking for guidance?
Thanks.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That is a VERY good point.

The Old A30 went from LE/Penzance to London, but by far the most of it is gone the way of all modern roads. Curves removed, bypasses, completely new roads and dual carriageways .............. we all know about this.

Old A30 from LE to Penzance is still there, but there's a Penzance bypass leading to a modern dual carriageway all the way to Exeter.
Yes, before anyone mentions it, there is a long stretch from Chiverton to Carland that is still single, but a new road is in the process of being built.
From there, the dual carriageway - a motorway by any other name - is there all the way.

Old A30 list.
Find a map and trace it out.

Penzance town centre to Longrock, then basically the same as the new road to Hayle.
Hayle town centre to Connor Downs, Camborne, Tuckingmill, Redruth, Blackwater, Three Burrows (Chiverton Cross).
From there it follows the main single carriageway A30 soon to be bypassed with a dual.
Old A30 went through Zelah and then through Mitchel, Summercourt, Blue Anchor, Fraddon, Indian Queens, then Goss Moor (now partly a cycle off-road track) to Victoria.
Then Lanivet to Bodmin town centre.
Out via Asda :wink: then over Bodmin Moor, but most of the Old A30 no longer exists.
The Very Old A30 went through Temple, but that was bypassed during the Turnpike days of the 18c.
Then through Bolventor past Jamaica Inn then Trewint and Kennard's House and Tregadillett. The stretch to Launceston has been obliterated.

Launceston to Exeter is all complete and mainly an un-named, un-numbered road.
Launceston over Polson Bridge into Devon and to Lifton, then Tinhay, Portgate and Lewdown past (the late) Jethro's place.
Through Bridestowe village centre to Sourton.
A few hundred yards of Old A30 obliteration, then off down to Okehampton. You can bypass the obliteration very easily without going out of your way.

From Okehampton town centre, go up the hill and head for Sticklepath and South Zeal, then Whiddon Down.
Crockernwell, Cherition Bishop, Tedburn St Mary, Pathfinder Village, to Exeter St Thomas.

Hope that helps! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

Tiggertoo wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 3:37pm Just a comment; is it possible that when locals use such terms as Old A30, etc. and mention Route numbers they could be accompanied by an explanation for those of us who are not familiar with the area and plan to ride through and are looking for guidance?
Thanks.
Tiggertoo: I have some sympathy with your point - fair enough. But what gets my goat is:

1. The new dual carriageways trashed the old roads, full stop. It happens less today than it did but it is still a monstrous crime IMV. This I'm afraid colours my thinking about this issue.

2. AFAIAC, the old A30 is still the A30 - if they want to build a new one then call it something else (like the M30, maybe). I didn't choose the numbering, they did.

3. All the long distance signage has been deliberately, wilfully, thoughtlessly and artlessly removed. They could have put up brown signs saying "the old A30" for example or just left the signs up and the A30 bit painted over.

4. I have long recommended on this forum (going back years and often) that people use an OLD Ordnance Survey map that shows the previous road numbering and the routes as they were. You will find not only the "old" A30 but many other delightful roads that took people, including cyclists, from A to B. Nowadays they are disfigured and confusingly hidden on new maps.

5. There have been threads on this forum concerning proposals to rebuild the mapping for long distance cycle routes. It's not something Cycling UK want to take on or promote: they are more interested in some muddy track across a park somewhere

I'm sorry to jump on your post like this but it is a serious issue, in exactly the way you describe. I too have spent frustrating time trying to work out the route from the crass signage and route numbering (the north west comes to mind). This thread is a good one as it is picking up on two important routes (the A30 and the A38) and it is many the time that I have seen cyclists on the new dual carriageways as they do not have access to the information we are discussing here.
Last edited by horizon on 4 Jan 2022, 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher