PLYMOUTH TO EXETER

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dodger1

PLYMOUTH TO EXETER

Post by dodger1 »

Does anyone have advice on a route between the two cities, avoiding the A38?
I'm actually thinking of cycling on from Exeter to my son at Tring in Hertfordshire, avoiding busiest roads, so if anyone has further advice on this I'd be grateful. Not after speed (that's impossible) or the most direct route, and I can manage hills (I live in Cornwall, so no choice there)
Thanks and Happy New Year's cycling.
MrsHJ

Re: PLYMOUTH TO EXETER

Post by MrsHJ »

I have hardly ever cycled it despite living here for more than 20 years but past experience leads me to suggest Okehampton as one possible via. I’m sure others who live locally will have better suggestions.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/278986
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mick F will be able to advise. I turned up in Plymouth looking for a bike shop on a lejog years ago, having broken a spoke on a very wet day. In the circumstances, having fixed the bike, I abandoned plans for a scenic route and took to the A38 to Exeter. Unpleasant and hazardous.
rjb

Post by rjb »

When the A38 Express Way was built it was a new road separate from the existing A38. There were a few sections where the old and new road became one. From memory a short link from Ugborough into South Brent, the drop down into buckfastleigh and a section near drumbridges. I wouldn't want to cycle on the Express Way nowadays. It's name tells you why. :(
If they have now built separate cycle paths beside the road to join up these sections then it's now a viable alternative. Just need someone local to confirm this. NA where are you. :wink:

If you look at a map you can see where the old road is. From Plymouth it went up through plympton, then ivybridge, bittaford, almost to South Brent. :wink:

Back in the 1970s the volume of traffic was a tenth of what it is today. It was so low they ran a stage of the Tour de France on it.
26978885.jpg
Last edited by rjb on 2 Jan 2022, 4:51pm, edited 2 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

I cycled Plymouth to Totnes last week (you would continue at South Brent to Exeter). I've cycled the remainder of the route to Exeter at different times. Basically there is AFAIK now an excellent cycle route between the two cities that doesn't take you onto the dual carriageway A38. At the very worst you cycle alongside it (on a good, wide, separated path) for a mile or two.

Others may correct me, but off the top of my head (so I'll check) I can't think of any impossible section (i.e. requiring going on the dual carriageway). The bit I cannot be certain of is Heathfield to Chudleigh Knighton where the cycle path (if it exists) runs alongside the A38. I haven’t done this for a while so not sure about it.

The route would be:

Plympton
Smithaleigh
Wrangaton
Ivybridge
South Brent
Harbourneford
Dean
Buckfastleigh
Ashburton
Mead Cross
Bickington
Heathfield
Chudleigh Knighton
Chudleigh
Clapham
Shillingford
Alphington
St Thomas

HTH :)

PS I intend to do this route shortly so I would like to know myself. Back in the day I was willing to cycle parts of the A38 but won’t now. However, in that time, a cycle route has in any case emerged.
PPS I'm still checking it!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

If it helps: The Peak Tours route goes like this:

From Plymouth take the (some time) cycle path along side A386 to Yelverton,

At mile 6:0 take 2nd exit B3212 to Princetown

After going through village turn right into B3357 (mile 13.3) then left on B3212 to Moreton Hampstead

Mile 25.6 go through Moreton Hampstead stay on B3212 to Dunsford (5 miles)

Mile 36.8 Exeter.

I hope this makes sense, I haven't ridden it - yet. :roll:
Last edited by Tiggertoo on 2 Jan 2022, 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The Dartmoor route is great - I've done it - and at one time a stop-off at Bellever YH was possible (maybe still is). However there are reasons both the A38 and A30 run on the edges of the moor . . . :D :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Loads of possibilities but what sort of route do you want? One day or two? How much kit will you have? Scenic or quick?
Roy A

Post by Roy A »

+1 for the Dartmoor route.I cycled it during a West Country tour in summer enjoying fine weather. From Moretonhampstead I recall it was mostly downhill into Exeter making for a good ride overall.
King of Mercia, Giant Defy, Raleigh MTB, Brompton M3L & S6L
honesty

Post by honesty »

The 2 I’ve done are as follows:

Out to Yelverton on the Plym valley/Drakes Trail then straight over the top through Dartmoor. Follow over through Princetown, Postbridge (YHA near here was good when I did this as well), Mortonhampstead. Fantastic ride. Lots of climbing. Weather can be “unpredictable” over Dartmoor.

Or

Drakes trail to Yelverton, and on to Tavistock. Back road to Lydford. Granite way to Okehampton. Then you can take the old A30 to Exeter. Very petty route but a bit roundabout…
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Jan 2022, 3:42pm If it helps: The Peak Tours route goes like this:
The Peak Tours route would be my choice too as I like riding over Dartmoor. (Although the old A38 route people have mentioned, the first half of which is NCN2, is also a lovely ride.) However, the following is the one bit that I really don't like:
Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Jan 2022, 3:42pm From Plymouth take the (some time) cycle path along side A386 to Yelverton,

At mile 6:0 take 2nd exit B3212 to Princetown
This bit is really unpleasant to cycle on - a narrow, blind, fast, busy road. I'd avoid it. (The specific bit I'm on about is the B3212 from Yelverton to just past Dousland - only a mile or two.) If you're okay on bumpy off-road, there's are much nicer way to get from Plymouth to Princetown via some old tramlines. Slower, a bit more climbing and a lot bumpier - but you said speed/hills weren't an issue. Let me know if you're interested and I'll explain the route as I don't think it's yet made its way onto the cycling maps.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Or yelverton via the Plymouth bridge cycle route which is on the old railway line. Depends on exactly where you are starting from.
horizon

Post by horizon »

honesty wrote: 2 Jan 2022, 4:54pm Drakes trail to Yelverton, and on to Tavistock. Back road to Lydford. Granite way to Okehampton. Then you can take the old A30 to Exeter. Very pretty route but a bit roundabout…
+ 1 I've done it this way too and it's a good route. Granite Way is a bit iffy in small parts but overall excellent. Old A30 is a breeze.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F had a quest crossing all the bridges on the A38. If you pick through this thread you could plot your route on the back of his experience.
viewtopic.php?t=121917

The A38 quest from Exeter starts on page 6. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Thanks for all the advice. I've driven along the A38 numerous times and have seen cyclists alongside in places. I've also now looked at the Sustrans routes and they confirm it's OK for at least 60% of the way. The rest looks possible, with a long climb up Haldon Hill from Chudleigh on the Old Exeter Road.
I have cycled the Plym Valley Trail, then on to Tavistock, Brentor and the Granite Way, so I'm au fait with that. Much better now there's that new(ish) bridge there.
I love Dartmoor, but when I've cycled sections of the main road it's invariably busy. The old rail track to Princetown is too rough for me, but wonderfully scenic.
After giving it all much thought I think I'll opt for a route through quiet roads to Okehampton via places like Pensilva, Golberdon, Kelly Bray, crossing the Tamar at Horsebridge. Granite Way from Lydford, then back roads towards Exeter, but maybe deviating to the North and continuing via Tiverton, Taunton and the Somerset Levels. The rest I've yet to plan, but I guess it's a 6 - 7 day journey to Tring in Hertfordshire. (New granddaughter to visit) But an adventure to try when the weather's better and the days are longer!
Thanks again.