Here I go again....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Here I go again....

Post by al_yrpal »

5ft 11, 14st 6, BMI 28.2
I woke up this morning and suddenly thought, better lose some weight. The preferred notch on my belt was +2 which is clearly unsatisfactory.
So at 6am I was wandering around checking the calories in various favourite foods. How many calories in those sourdough rolls, should I go back to salads at lunchtimes. Can bacon sandwiches be a part of a diet? Snacks of a glass of wine, a small scotch and 3 squares of dark Bournville seem possible. Then I got up and did a 90 minute muddy dog walk because little Minnie is looking a bit porky too.

Been here many times before. Lost 48 lbs once. My Fitness Pal app on my phone is my route to success. Looking at a 20lb reduction which means at least 14 weeks on a diet.

Anyone else up for it, particularly those with different methods?

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 3 Jan 2022, 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
axel_knutt

Re: Here I go again....

Post by axel_knutt »

al_yrpal wrote: 3 Jan 2022, 12:11pmCan bacon sandwiches be a part of a diet?
As Ben Goldacre once said, there's no such thing as an unhealthy meal, only an unhealthy diet, and as the overweight are fond of saying, everything's fine in moderation. The problem with moderation is that most people aren't going to be bothered setting themselves a ration and then monitoring their intake to check that they're sticking to it. This is particularly the case when you consider that calories/fat/sugar/salt etc are found in everything, so there's little point in just recording just one foodstuff. I had a serious cheese habit at one time, so I decided to cut it out altogether because that's easier than keep checking up on how much I'm eating, and it's also easier to go without if I don't keep reminding myself what I'm missing. That wasn't until I'd seen that cheese was a major source of excess fat in my diet though. If you're trying to resist temptation, the best place to do it is in the supermarket aisle, because once it's in the kitchen cupboard the writing's already on the wall.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Al, sympathies to you with a weight problem.
Luckily, I don't have one, or ever had one.

Bacon sarnie for breakfast this morning. Often have bacon and egg with buttered bread or toast.
Skip lunch generally.

Ride the bike, walk the dog, do some logging, do some gardening ............. varies a bit but I have an active life.
Usually have a beer or three in the afternoon. Today is no different.

69years old, and 11st 11lbs
5ft 9ins tall.

Having toad in the hole for tea, with gravy, spuds and veg. :D

What's my BMI?
https://patient.info/doctor/bmi-calculator-calculator

= 24.37
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Good luck Al, you know you'll do it. :)
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Diets are a short term fix and most put any weight lost (and more!) back on when the diet stops.
Lifestyle change is the way forward.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote: 3 Jan 2022, 12:11pm 5ft 11, 14st 6, BMI 28.2
I woke up this morning and suddenly thought, better lose some weight. The preferred notch on my belt was +2 which is clearly unsatisfactory.
So at 6am I was wandering around checking the calories in various favourite foods. How many calories in those sourdough rolls, should I go back to salads at lunchtimes. Can bacon sandwiches be a part of a diet? Snacks of a glass of wine, a small scotch and 3 squares of dark Bournville seem possible. Then I got up and did a 90 minute muddy dog walk because little Minnie is looking a bit porky too.

Been here many times before. Lost 48 lbs once. My Fitness Pal app on my phone is my route to success. Looking at a 20lb reduction which means at least 14 weeks on a diet.

Anyone else up for it, particularly those with different methods?

Al
You've got me thinking maybe I should check my weight. I've fed well over Christmas and now the 'extras' have been eaten my waistline has increased.
This morning I jumped on the scales after my shower and was rather surprised to see them hovering around the 86 kg mark.
I'm normally 80-83kg and at 6 feet I'm not exactly fat but getting fatter around the waist.
I'll see if I can ween myself off treats and shed a bit of weight.
I mostly notice I'm carrying extra weight when cycling uphill.
I too have been here before and I've found that by cutting down on portion sizes and snacks I start to lose weight.
I've never followed a recognised diet. Taking more exercise also helps but weather this week isn't great.
My goal is 82 kg and I hope to get there in 8-10 weeks.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Fats like cheese etc are slow burn and won't give you the sugar rush of three squares of Bournville - I would suggest that if you are going to eat dark chocolate that the aforesaid is not sufficiently high in cocoa solids and 85% + would be better.
Good luck with the diet.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Yes I’ve put weight on at Xmas I always do. I’ve a rule that I don’t weigh myself until the end of January and deal with it from there. To depressing to deal with cold dark days as well as worrying about my weight. I’ve also never used a diet, like Franco, I cut out biscuits and snacks and those Xmas chocolates have all been eaten.
It’s always longer and harder to lose weight than to gain it but a good week on the bike in summer usually gets it acceptable again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Interesting lecture - Cambridge professor to the RI.

The fact that the calotype values on foods are estimated using data from one experiment in 1900 was very interesting.

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Good video!

I eat as much as I want without limit (i.e. until I am full and don't wish to eat any more). I have done that all my life. I'm medium build, 5'10", 72 kg. I vary in weight over the years between 70 kg (recently) and 78 kg max (a few years ago). I wear the same trouser size as I did when I was 18 (32 inches) and always have.

So here goes:

1. I like walking, so going for a walk (short round the block or a long walk over the hills) usually appeals. However, I don't "exercise" - I like it.
2. I hate going by car. So most of the time I go by bike even if Mrs H goes by car. I take the train as well but cycle somewhere along the route.
3. I like working outside and like physical work but I don't like sports and have never in my life been to a gym.
4. I don't mind going without food and the longer I go without the better I feel.
5. I don't drink much alcohol (glass of wine per week maybe).
6. I eat meat but not a lot as I prefer vegetables and pulses.

Basically I do what I like and I eat what I like.

But I do have rules:
1. I insist on being able to cycle to where I want to go despite the protestations of train managers, family, friends, hotel keepers, weather forecasters, cafe owners, employers, motorists, police constables, road designers, relatives, journalists and dogs. It is quite extraordinary just how much initial prejudice there is against cycling.
2. I don't eat meat at home (virtually never as a general rule). I do eat butter, cheese etc.I like sweet things.
3. I never go into a supermarket. That by the way means never. OK maybe once per year because there is no other available source of food.
4. We get a weekly veg box from Riverford (that's about 700 boxes to date and counting).
5. My rule should be "Don't own a car". Unfortunately I do but the battery tends to run down.
6. All our food as far as possible is wholefood and organic.

I cannot say for sure that the two lists above of six points each create the conditions in themselves for the description of myself at the top. But I think there are two key points: firstly, cycling is really important and looking at most cyclists, it seems to work. Secondly, I eat a very high fibre diet. That's mainly because I like it but the veg box is crucial as is the rule on choosing wholefoods such as wholemeal bread.

So my conclusion (and advice) is not to deprive yourself but change your lifestyle and what you eat but not how much you eat..
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Good for you.How many miles do you cycle a day? How much do you weigh in kg? What is your metric height?

I was up all New Years night reading Chris Froomes book "The Climb" an autobiography.He recounts how one rider ate everything in sight and still remained in good shape.Sadly to shake his head at Chris and the others who ate virtually nothing.Also in Winter you need to up calories by 10% especially if your cycling.This week 15% might not hurt coz of the freeze.Otherwise your metabolic rate will drop.You postpone the inevitable more kg's down the line.
Did you know Chris Froome had 3 pet pythons (he was born in Kenya).When he cycled in Europe Mum looked after them. Although she was dead scared of them.They had a habit of coiling and uncoiling around people - How endearing.Which is why if you get a book make it a diet one.Chris Froomes one will keep you up all night.Probably also why Mum's are everyone's best friend.Now who else would look after your python when your cycling?
*********************************************************************************
My bikes are a full 100% British hand built vintage and a trusty Brompton
pwa

Post by pwa »

Good luck with that Al. Personally, I have little self control with food once it is in the house, so it is at the point of purchase that I make my choices. If I don't want to be eating loads of biscuits, I don't buy biscuits and I don't really miss them.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a few saddles that look after it while your cycling! 😆

Seriously though if I read the op right he's asking who else is up for a bit of communal weight loss effort and potential recording on this thread.

Can't say I am. 87kg for 20+ years which is right for my height. Don't want to lose anything, doubt I could. I think diet isn't right but eating appropriately for your needs is right. I somehow found I could eat what I needed and not be interested in eating more. Take Xmas day for example. I never put weight on over Xmas but often lose weight. I eat and just stop before I feel full.

I can't say I'm the same weight as I was at 18 because I wasn't a healthy weight then. I was 9 stone 7 and 6 foot 4 or 5. That's not healthy. I was 32" waist which went up to my current 34" when about 25 and I got to my current weight. I have been like that ever since.

My issue isn't weight but fitness. I've lost too much since my son was born. Priorities changed and long walks out but potters and taking son to things came in. Family time is so important and with everything else I am usually tired or its very late to do any exercise. I'm limited to 10 minutes bike ride commute, shortish evening dog walks and weekend activities. That's what I need to improve on
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 7:01am There's a few saddles that look after it while your cycling! 😆

Seriously though if I read the op right he's asking who else is up for a bit of communal weight loss effort and potential recording on this thread.

Can't say I am. 87kg for 20+ years which is right for my height. Don't want to lose anything, doubt I could. I think diet isn't right but eating appropriately for your needs is right. I somehow found I could eat what I needed and not be interested in eating more. Take Xmas day for example. I never put weight on over Xmas but often lose weight. I eat and just stop before I feel full.

I can't say I'm the same weight as I was at 18 because I wasn't a healthy weight then. I was 9 stone 7 and 6 foot 4 or 5. That's not healthy. I was 32" waist which went up to my current 34" when about 25 and I got to my current weight. I have been like that ever since.

My issue isn't weight but fitness. I've lost too much since my son was born. Priorities changed and long walks out but potters and taking son to things came in. Family time is so important and with everything else I am usually tired or its very late to do any exercise. I'm limited to 10 minutes bike ride commute, shortish evening dog walks and weekend activities. That's what I need to improve on
A relative of my wife used to jog to and from the railway station as part of his commute. Which had the added advantage of meaning no bike to lug on and off the train. Just a smallish pack on his back.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

3lbs gone so far. No hunger. Waist feeling more comfy, its working. I know on the first few days of a diet you loose fluids and therefore weight fast. Nethertheless a good start. A weight starting with 13st approaching fast....its the weight starting with 12 I am after.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......