Courier/Shipping options for complete bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MrCJF

Courier/Shipping options for complete bike

Post by MrCJF »

I'm expecting to put a used bike on sale in the next week, and was thinking about shipping methods.

I have a new bike on order, so should have a box to put the bike in. I've done a bit of Googling and seen a wide variation in prices, but would like to know people's personal experiences and recommendations.

thanks
jamm13dodger

Re: Courier/Shipping options for complete bike

Post by jamm13dodger »

How are you selling it? If eBay I'd insist on local collection to prevent any PayPal shenanigans.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Sendmybag do a bike shipping service - https://www.sendmybag.com/bike-shipping - it may be worth getting a quote from them.

I've not used them to ship a bike but our son used their bag shipping service last year when he was moving back from Canada & that all seemed to work OK.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
MrCJF

Post by MrCJF »

jamm13dodger wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 2:57pm How are you selling it? If eBay I'd insist on local collection to prevent any PayPal shenanigans.
I was gong to post it on this forum, but may go the ebay route. Ebay's charges have increased a lot since they changed their payments system.
delilah

Post by delilah »

Try these
https://www.paisleyfreight.com/bike-courier
I have found them to be cheap and reliable
PH

Post by PH »

I've used Hermes booked via Interparcel. needs a bit more than just turning the bars, maximum length is 1.2 mtr and maximum weight 15kg, some have reported that it's cheaper to split bike and wheels into two packages, I haven't tried that.
Two years ago a complete bike was about £25, I sent a frame for a respray last year and that was about £15. Both sent with minimal insurance, adding that can cost more than the carriage. Both collected and delivered as expected.

There's also the option of letting the buyer arrange delivery, they're then free to choose what they may consider a better service and the appropriate level of insurance, it also means your responsibility ends when their carrier collects it.
jamm13dodger

Post by jamm13dodger »

MrCJF wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 3:14pm
jamm13dodger wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 2:57pm How are you selling it? If eBay I'd insist on local collection to prevent any PayPal shenanigans.
I was gong to post it on this forum, but may go the ebay route. Ebay's charges have increased a lot since they changed their payments system.
I'd imagine you would be fine selling here then.
I actually used DHL for a Brompton I sold in mid 2020. Fully insured - it wasn't cheap but easy enough and all got there ok. Not sure how they are coping at the moment though - a lot of couriers seem to be employing all and sundry at the moment which is having obvious consequences.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

When I last posted a bike frame the box was bigger than accepted by many couriers. I found that Parcel Force was the best option - and they collected it from my home too which was handy as they're quite awkward to carry to a drop off point.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

I had a good experience using Paisley Freight, as the bike purchaser and also commissioning the bike collection/delivery.
A bike box and packaging materials were delivered to the sellers address and the bike collected on a day of our choice. I think Paisley Freight suggest they will collect the bike the day after they drop off the bike box, but were quite happy to discuss alternative arrangements.
For delivery, they didn’t manage the advertised 24hr service to my rural location, but the customer service team were very helpful and knew where my bike was at all times.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

+1 for Paisley Freight. Used them 2 months back after hearing about them on the forum.

I sold on ebay, depending on your usage of the site, usually you get an email offer of reduced seller's fees. I waited for that (had my photos and bike box ready), and then sold my bike for only a £1 selling fee. Currently, the offer seems to be 70% off selling fees. Usually you get an email selling offer on a friday, valid until the monday, hence the need to be prepared to put your ad up at short notice.

I've sold a few bikes via ebay and found that it you are prepared to post, you attract a lot more bidders/interest and therefore usually a higher price.
MrCJF

Post by MrCJF »

audaxjk wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 6:01pm +1 for Paisley Freight. Used them 2 months back after hearing about them on the forum.

I sold on ebay, depending on your usage of the site, usually you get an email offer of reduced seller's fees. I waited for that (had my photos and bike box ready), and then sold my bike for only a £1 selling fee. Currently, the offer seems to be 70% off selling fees. Usually you get an email selling offer on a friday, valid until the monday, hence the need to be prepared to put your ad up at short notice.

I've sold a few bikes via ebay and found that it you are prepared to post, you attract a lot more bidders/interest and therefore usually a higher price.
Thanks. I'll consider it if there's no interest here. I listed the bike on the forum yesterday.

Thanks to all for the paisley freight recommendation. It does look like the best option.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

delilah wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 3:26pm Try these
https://www.paisleyfreight.com/bike-courier
I have found them to be cheap and reliable
Yes.Have used them several times without any problems.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker