Cartography

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Shoogle

Cartography

Post by Shoogle »

On terrain maps, why are the shadows on the south side of hills?
Jdsk

Re: Cartography

Post by Jdsk »

Please could you show an example.

Thanks

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 4:51pm Please could you show an example.

Thanks

Jonathan
Here is one.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... d_1964.jpg

I have a copy of that very map, which I remembered.
The light appears to come from the NW.
The cover price is 50p.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 4 Jan 2022, 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

That's a good question. Here's one answer:
https://ramblemaps.com/why-does-sunligh ... from-north
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the example.

Shaded relief, or hill-shading, shows the shape of the terrain in a realistic fashion by showing how the three-dimensional surface would be illuminated from a point light source. The shadows normally follow the convention of top-left lighting in which the light source is placed near the upper-left corner of the map. If the map is oriented with north at the top, the result is that the light appears to come from the north-west. Although this is unrealistic lighting in the northern hemisphere, using a southern light source can cause multistable perception illusions, in which the topography appears inverted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrain_c ... ded_relief

I think that's the same reason as the one that AndyK linked..

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

another explanatory paragraph...
In addition to boundaries and contours, a map may also illustrate topography using techniques like hypsometric tinting and hill shading. Hypsometric tints use hue to encode the elevation at a point, while hill shading conveys slope by (approximately) shading the land surface as if lit from a canonical direction – generally north-west. Both techniques leverage the human visual system, taking advantage of our propensity for interpreting shape from shading, and our familiarity with colors found in nature as a diagramatic shorthand. Terrain features depicted in this manner can generally be perceived and interpreted with little conscious effort.
"lit" from north west / top left
"lit" from north west / top left
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Here is a French one.
rando_estivales2020-rabuons-ign.jpg
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

Now I see!
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Most people spent a childhood with stuff being lit from above and, to an extent, in front (since your own body is generally occluding light from behind a little) so when faking depth via shading that needs to be followed as that's what your brain has programmed itself to expect.

Note what's being faked here isn't the *real* lighting of the world's surface, it's the lack of relief of the map. Imagine the map were a 3d model on a wall, it would (odd interior design choices aside) be lit from above, not from the south.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Stevek76 wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 5:50pmImagine the map were a 3d model on a wall, it would (odd interior design choices aside) be lit from above, not from the south.
Unless of course the map has south at the top, à la McArthur.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 5:20pm Thanks for the example.

Shaded relief, or hill-shading, shows the shape of the terrain in a realistic fashion by showing how the three-dimensional surface would be illuminated from a point light source. The shadows normally follow the convention of top-left lighting in which the light source is placed near the upper-left corner of the map. If the map is oriented with north at the top, the result is that the light appears to come from the north-west. Although this is unrealistic lighting in the northern hemisphere, using a southern light source can cause multistable perception illusions, in which the topography appears inverted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrain_c ... ded_relief

I think that's the same reason as the one that AndyK linked..

Jonathan
I used to make bespoke shaded relief maps for various professional reasons. I would routinely rotate the notional light source so that features I were interested in were preferentially picked out (eg N-S features are best shown lit from the E or W). However, often while the image looked fine to me (high points looked like highs), other people would swear the topography were inverted. Shading is surprisingly personal.
geomannie
pwa

Post by pwa »

Shoogle wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 4:45pm On terrain maps, why are the shadows on the south side of hills?
As you observe, it is very wrong. But I was told that it was done that way because if it were done the correct way (shading to the north side of hills) the image isn't interpreted as well by the human eye. You could turn a map upside down to test this. But it is a curious thing.
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

I suppose now, when I look at terrain maps, I'll just have to imagine it's the summer solstice, half an hour before sunset.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

pwa wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 6:47am
Shoogle wrote: 4 Jan 2022, 4:45pm On terrain maps, why are the shadows on the south side of hills?
As you observe, it is very wrong.
Wrong, but irrelevant.

The only people who are entitled to complain about it not being the way they are used to seeing mountains are pilots and astronauts. :D
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

While i understand that shading is a lovely thing on maps used for decoration, i fail to see what it adds to a map being used for navigation. Those french topo maps are just cluttered up with shades and colours. I dont think think I've ever looked at an OS map and thought "if only it had lots of shading on"
This is very much imho of course, and perhaps influenced by my 1st year cartography and drawing practicals involving proper ink and drawing film...
Last edited by Pendodave on 5 Jan 2022, 10:43pm, edited 1 time in total.