Comfort bar ends

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
arnsider

Comfort bar ends

Post by arnsider »

Hi,
As said before, I suffer with Thumb Arthritis and have recently modified my E bike, replacing thumb shifters with grip shift.
The downside is the short stub length of any profiled bar end grip such as the Ergo.
The lengths available are just too long and would push the brake and shifter a further 30 millimeters inboard, which is too much.
The alternative is a bar end "hook"
These are available in bewildering combinations, even models like the origin 8 which is a dropped hook.
Could anyone suggest a type that would offer maximum comfort, a sound fitting and durable material.
I have a large hand, 160 thumb to pinkie and 200 wrist to tip.
simonineaston

Re: Comfort bar ends

Post by simonineaston »

I recall fitting a rotary gear shifter to a straight bar, also fitted with Ergon grips and simply cutting the Ergon grip to length, to accomodate the rotary shifter, with a hacksaw. Obviously, the trim took place at the inner end of the grip.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
slowster

Post by slowster »

Buy some new bars. For example, the ones below are 740mm wide and appear to have a long grip (straight) section, so you could choose how far inboard you wanted the grips and levers plus shifter and cut the bars down accordingly.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/ ... 0mm-black/

Edit - those bars are currently £11.49 at Wiggle https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-mounta ... -riser-bar
PH

Post by PH »

Just checking you're aware that Ergon grips come in a variety of styles to compensate for the twist shifters, either short both sides or just on the right which are sold as the Rohloff version, though suitable for any single R/H gripshift. Though if you have large hands you might still prefer the full length grip.
Isn't any bar end going to occupy some bar space? At the risk of stating the obvious, wouldn't a slightly wider bar be a better option than compromising the choice of grip? (EDIT - Cross posted with slowster)
I like the comfort of the Ergon grips, I have a couple of different styles, I haven't tried anything else that comes close. The durability isn't the best, the grip on the twist shift side wears after a few years and becomes sticky, otherwise I can't fault them.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I spoke to SJS this morning and the shortest Ergo grip they know of is 100 millimeters.
The simple bar end hook is looking like the only solution.
I've just got back to SJS and they recommend the Humpert MF3, which has a pistol grip.
PH

Post by PH »

arnsider wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 2:19pm I spoke to SJS this morning and the shortest Ergo grip they know of is 100 millimeters.
The simple bar end hook is looking like the only solution.
I've just got back to SJS and they recommend the Humpert MF3, which has a pistol grip.
I still don't get it, that's going to occupy at least as much bar space as the Ergon bar ends, what grips are you going to pair it with? The 100mm SJS quote includes the bar end, the actual grip on the short version is about 80mm. I have fairly large hands and with a Rohloff shifter I couldn't comfortably use anything shorter, combined grip and shifter gives around 105mm for the hand to rest on. What's the length of your shifter?
hufty

Post by hufty »

I'm surprised SJSC didn't suggest this style of ergo bar end as an alternative to an Ergon:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/ ... rip-black/
plus any easy to trim bar grip eg Grab-On or ESI silicone. You still might want a longer bar though.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well many thanks to all for helping here. The comfort grips supplied with my Whyte E bike are similar to ergo, but have a clamp at the inboard end. This is a metal collar that can be "nipped" up by tightening a threaded pin with a small hex wrench.
I could shorten the removed right grip and carefully cut the collar width out of the rubber, then make two or three square cuts to the end of the hard tube to which the rubber is bonded. This should facilitate a sound fixture in conjunction with glue.
However, the last comment may clinch the matter and I like the Ergo Control grips/ Grab On combination.
I may well go down this route and many thanks for this suggestion.
SJS only have three of the Humpert MF3 grips left so might have wanted to shift them.
When I rest my right hand on the riding position, the crook of my thumb and fore finger is snuggly against the the flare of the Centera twist grip and I ride like that, leaving at least thirty millimeters to the end of the bar. This is more than enough to sleave over an Ergo Control grip
The forty odd millimeters can be made up with the Grab On, obviating longer bars.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well, Hufty, many thanks for your suggestion and link to the SJS bar ends.
I went for these and I'm well pleased. They are great and much more comfortable, even than the original whyte grips I took off.
They were endorsed by Dan Joyce, who was once a CTC adviser.