Cycling to a recycling centre

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycling to a recycling centre

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 12:24pm Ok, I'll try to start a list for England and update it as we get reports. If it is enough of a mess, maybe gov.uk environment department can be prodded into action:

Cycle-recycling in England:

.................... Devon County Council
I have been looking a few times over the months and years regarding Cornwall and Devon.
Easiest place is at Crowndale near Tavistock, Devon.
Cornwall site at Saltash is much further.

This subject has been raised before, so it's at the front of my mind.

Having been into Tavistock Crowndale site many times, there are no warning signs about pedestrians or children or even horses and dogs!
It's a plan of mine to take my bike with the trailer on the back with bottles and/or cans and see if I can get in past the staff. If not, it's simple to go to Morrisons where they have skips for cans and bottles, so at least my ride won't be pointless.

I see on the Cornwall website that children are allowed, but the Devon website specifically states that they should remain in the vehicle.

Neither mention pedestrians or bicycles or the age of the cyclist.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/rubbish-rec ... g-centres/
https://www.devon.gov.uk/wasteandrecycl ... nd-safety/
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 2:54pmI see on the Cornwall website that children are allowed, but the Devon website specifically states that they should remain in the vehicle.

Neither mention pedestrians or bicycles or the age of the cyclist.

As previously posted:
Jdsk wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 9:56am
Mick F wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 9:50amIt doesn't mention pedestrians or cyclists.

No mention here either. Note the child, when Devon say children must stay in the car, Cornwall seem to be suggesting it's ok.
From that link for Cornwall:
"For safety reasons, no public pedestrian access is allowed through the entrance or exit gates at any of our household waste recycling centres."
My emboldening in each case.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Biggest danger to me as a cyclist is that I have to leave/lean my bike somewhere while I dump my rubbish. Always worried that someone might think it has been dumped and whisk it away.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 4:17pm Biggest danger to me as a cyclist is that I have to leave/lean my bike somewhere while I dump my rubbish. Always worried that someone might think it has been dumped and whisk it away.
Your dump is rubbish then! I can unload most of mine without leaving the bike. Possible exception for the DIY waste which you have to go up steps to, but even then, the bike is in sight (and it's a long way from the metal bin then).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

If your local council prevents anyone using a bicycle to access a service which is available to car users then you can argue against the ban using both the arguments of green travel and social inclusion.
No council should be offering a two tiered system where certain services are denied to segments of the population who do not have access to the same tools.
Councils are well aware of the demands that central government place on the to insure social exclusion which is why they bury their policy on it, on their website where no one can find it.
It's time to go :-)
hemo

Post by hemo »

Problem is most recycling plants aren't run direct by councils but a third party contractor who has bid for the franchise.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

You may also wish to point out that by denying your right to cycle to your recycling centre the council has infact broken the Equalities Act 2010, breach of 1.10 Regilion or Belief, in that 'it is your belief to act in a way that causes the least ecological offence, and that the denial off access to the recycling centre by bicycle is in breach of this belief', and as such you will be investigating further action against the service provider, unless the policy is changed.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

hemo wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 10:06pm Problem is most recycling plants aren't run direct by councils but a third party contractor who has bid for the franchise.
So what?...

...it is the council's responsibility that any third party organisation, contacted by the council operates in a way that ensures the continuation and protection of those policies that the council has adopted.

Any third party contracted by the council is bound by the same policies of that council which has employed them
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

hemo wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 10:06pm Problem is most recycling plants aren't run direct by councils but a third party contractor who has bid for the franchise.
Society is one of those things which is being made up all the time, and that includes council policy. It's being written and re-written all the time. Aliester Crowley is right, at the end of the day it just comes down to strength of wills. If your will is strong enough it will bend that of many council workers :-)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Given that most tips are run by private companies, maybe these should (also?) be named and lauded or shamed.

Southend is run by Veolia.

I can't say if it is policy to allow bikes or just that guys let us in. Incidentally, they don't have a booking policy, but there is a webcam so you can see the queue.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Update. Cycled to the recycling centre this morning. Staff were apparently unprepared for my arrival but I was nevertheless greeted with the usual pre-COVID good humour and helpfulness.

The problems, it seems, are with the management, not the staff.

I have contacted my local councillor to try and get the rules changed.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Stradageek wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 11:09am Update. Cycled to the recycling centre this morning. Staff were apparently unprepared for my arrival but I was nevertheless greeted with the usual pre-COVID good humour and helpfulness.

The problems, it seems, are with the management, not the staff.

I have contacted my local councillor to try and get the rules changed.
This might be obvious but be wary of congratulating the foot soldiers for ignoring rules or they may be a tad more vigilant in future.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Partially off-topic) as Councils restrict and put up barriers to using their recycling centres so I've noticed an increase in fly-tipping in our area. A few years ago my local centre introduced charges (highly dodgy as you are expected to pay cash and don't get a receipt!). That visit I was taking old timber off-cuts which they recycle but it made me think why would I drive to the tip and pay just to recycle and avoid landfill when I could not drive, not pay, not spend the time and put the same stiff in my black landfill bin (a bit each fortnight over a few collections) - free for me but not so sustainable.

But out on walks a big increase in fly-tipping in ditches. I do report this to South Norfolk (using phone app), get acknowledgement but they never seem to bother to collect it or do anything.

I'd hope cyclists are not in that group that would revert to fly-tipping but not allowing cyclists access is yet more barriers to use of recycling rather than landfill.

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

cycle tramp wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 10:16pm Any third party contracted by the council is bound by the same policies of that council which has employed them
No, any party contracted by the council is bound by the terms of that contract. If that contract doesn't fulfil the council's obligations, it's still the council that's at fault.
The idea that there's a discrimination of an individual on the basis to transport type is a non starter, cycling is a mode of transport, not a protected characteristic.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

PH wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 1:15pm
cycle tramp wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 10:16pm Any third party contracted by the council is bound by the same policies of that council which has employed them
No, any party contracted by the council is bound by the terms of that contract. If that contract doesn't fulfil the council's obligations, it's still the council that's at fault.
The idea that there's a discrimination of an individual on the basis to transport type is a non starter, cycling is a mode of transport, not a protected characteristic.
Could cycling be described as a protected characteristic if the reason for doing so was the deeply held belief that if one did not cycle, they would go to hell, and by that I mean increase green house emissions to the point that the temperature of the atmosphere would rise to an uncomfortable level?