Cycling to a recycling centre

Jdsk

Re: Cycling to a recycling centre

Post by Jdsk »

cycle tramp wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 5:12pm
PH wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 1:15pm
cycle tramp wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 10:16pm Any third party contracted by the council is bound by the same policies of that council which has employed them
No, any party contracted by the council is bound by the terms of that contract. If that contract doesn't fulfil the council's obligations, it's still the council that's at fault.
The idea that there's a discrimination of an individual on the basis to transport type is a non starter, cycling is a mode of transport, not a protected characteristic.
Could cycling be described as a protected characteristic if the reason for doing so was the deeply held belief that if one did not cycle, they would go to hell, and by that I mean increase green house emissions to the point that the temperature of the atmosphere would rise to an uncomfortable level?
"Something can be a philosophical belief if you strongly and genuinely believe in it and it concerns an important aspect of human life and behaviour. The courts have said that the belief in man-made climate change and spiritualism are philosophical beliefs. But a political belief is not a philosophical belief."
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-a ... imination/

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

cycle tramp wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 5:12pm Could cycling be described as a protected characteristic if the reason for doing so was the deeply held belief that if one did not cycle, they would go to hell, and by that I mean increase green house emissions to the point that the temperature of the atmosphere would rise to an uncomfortable level?
No, it's there in the language, that "if" means it's not a characteristic.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 5:17pm
"Something can be a philosophical belief if you strongly and genuinely believe in it and it concerns an important aspect of human life and behaviour. The courts have said that the belief in man-made climate change and spiritualism are philosophical beliefs. But a political belief is not a philosophical belief."

[/quote]

Surely that'll of been challenged? Or will be at some date. Suppose Law only stands in the manner it's defined at a specific point, so will change, as that specific point changes. History is formed by individuals who have strongly and genuinely believed in their political belief's
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 7:01pm
Jdsk wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 5:17pm "Something can be a philosophical belief if you strongly and genuinely believe in it and it concerns an important aspect of human life and behaviour. The courts have said that the belief in man-made climate change and spiritualism are philosophical beliefs. But a political belief is not a philosophical belief."
Surely that'll of been challenged? Or will be at some date. Suppose Law only stands in the manner it's defined at a specific point, so will change, as that specific point changes. History is formed by individuals who have strongly and genuinely believed in their political belief's
That's what the Equality Act 2010 says, with a bit of added interpretation.

Equality Act 2010:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/10

"Religion or belief: a guide to the law":
https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sit ... he-law.pdf

Its interpretation can be challenged in court. It's primary legislation and can be changed by Parliament. If it breaches enforceable human rights legislation it could be overturned.

Shirley
freiston

Post by freiston »

I thought that this news item might be of interest in this thread:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/ ... e-22669010

Here's a little preview like wot u get on other platforms:
Untitled.png
The headline sounds (to me) to be more antagonistic than the actual article. Of course, some of the motor vehicle owning denizens have practised their own solution, commonly known as fly-tipping, down the lanes I like to ride on.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

freiston wrote: 8 Jan 2022, 12:51am I thought that this news item might be of interest in this thread:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/ ... e-22669010

Here's a little preview like wot u get on other platforms:
Untitled.png

The headline sounds (to me) to be more antagonistic than the actual article.
It is.

And having posted what the Equality Act says i was about to add that of course the smart move isn't barrack-room lawyering or confrontation or litigation. It's talking to the local dump, arranging a visit, and publicising the successful resolution. As in that article.

And doing it that way means that a few more people will be aware of what you can do with a bike.

Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

mjr wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 12:24pm Ok, I'll try to start a list for England and update it as we get reports. If it is enough of a mess, maybe gov.uk environment department can be prodded into action:
Is this a list of where it's allowed or, as seems more likely, a list of Councils for which we're trying to find out? It's a question I have wondered about for our County, but I've not tried it yet.

If it's down to local management decisions, of course, it wouldn't necessarily follow that the situation would be the same across a County.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I've not taken anything to the dump since I stopped driving 17 years ago so I don't know what the current arrangements are, but small recyclables like bottles/cans/paper etc go in the recycling sacks provided and collected by Braintree District Council. You know, the sacks that Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall found on a fly tip out in the Far East.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If somebody is compiling a list, here's the current info for Leeds
You can use our household waste recycling centres if you:
  • live in Leeds
  • need to dispose of household waste
  • visit in a car or on a bicycle
  • have a commercial vehicle permit (for large vehicles, vans or trailers)
  • follow our safety rules
(My bold)
https://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/bins ... ling-sites

I'll jump to the conclusion that a tricycle is classed as an honorary bicycle
mjr

Post by mjr »

drossall wrote: 8 Jan 2022, 1:47pm
mjr wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 12:24pm Ok, I'll try to start a list for England and update it as we get reports. If it is enough of a mess, maybe gov.uk environment department can be prodded into action:
Is this a list of where it's allowed or, as seems more likely, a list of Councils for which we're trying to find out?
It's a list of councils responsible for tips, with notes of status where it's been posted... so most of them have yet to be found.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

axel_knutt wrote: 8 Jan 2022, 2:23pm I've not taken anything to the dump since I stopped driving 17 years ago so I don't know what the current arrangements are, but small recyclables like bottles/cans/paper etc go in the recycling sacks provided and collected by Braintree District Council. You know, the sacks that Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall found on a fly tip out in the Far East.
And what about stuff like small electrical appliances, or bicycle tyres and tubes? They're not taken from the roadside in Norfolk: they have to be taken to a Household Waste Recycling Centre aka tip.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Bath & N.E. Somerset - access to cyclists allowed and no booking required.
Other vehicles need to book an appointment to access the site. Pedestrians are not allowed to access the site.

I don't drive and have often cycled to our local site in Bath, and never had any problem accessing it, though drivers do often give you a strange look. :)

This would be a good campaign to take up nationally to shame those councils where access isn't allowed to cyclists. But it would be even better if it also took up the baton for pedestrian access as well.

I've never actually tried to access our site as a pedestrian, as it is too far from me to walk there with a heavy load, but it has always concerned me that they are explicitly banned from access. I don't accept for one minute the reasoning that is given, as had been outlined in this thread. Any perceived parking problems caused by people walking in could easily be resolved (and with our site, any vehicle parking anywhere near would be on double yellow lines and cause major tailbacks to queuing vehicles).
SteveGray

Post by SteveGray »

What an interesting thread. Just another comment, unless the law has changed, councils MUST charge for the disposal of any trade or business waste (Public Health Act 1936 which may well have been amended/superseded). Their free waste disposal sites, must be for household waste only.

Perhaps councils somehow think the unwashed cyclists, will smuggle all manner of TRADE waste into their facility ?

Vehicles having registration numbers are readily traceable and policing of the non trade waste law, would be easier.

But the whole thing is a nonsense. Of course you should be able to cycle to the facility and use it freely.

Once again its "Monstrous 4 wheel drives this way please " and "Sod off cyclists".

But councils will give themselves books of green points anyway.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

For mjr's list:

Hampshire: cyclists can access the HWRCs but must book a time slot for arrival in the same way that car drivers now have to. You simply enter "BIKE" in the "registration number" field on the booking form.

The rules say that when you get there, you must park your bike in one of the car parking bays. Not sure how that works if you haven't got a kickstand - but I guess it makes it clear that you haven't just dumped your bike to be recycled. :-) Slightly worried that some inattentive Range Rover driver will reverse over my bike thinking that it's an empty parking space, though...

(That info relates to the Hampshire County Council area, not to the Southampton and Portsmouth unitary authorities.)

In 2020 the council used Covid as an excuse to ban cyclists from recycling centres temporarily. A council officer then produced a report filled with blatant untruths to justify making the ban permanent, but thanks to excellent work by some Hampshire cycle campaigners (not me) the recommendation was rejected and access was restored, albeit with this rather pointless booking system.

The council is currently experimenting with pedestrian-only time periods at some locations.
Xbigman

Post by Xbigman »

You can add South Gloucestershire council to the 'need an appointment' list. Their rules are clearly designed to put cyclists off without actually banning them.

Darren