Europe 2022

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Europe 2022

Post by simonhill »

ETIAS delayed (yet again). Implementation now planned end of 2023.

(EU online entry and visa system)
wendyd

Post by wendyd »

Not sure if this is the correct place for this topic, however we arrive in Geneva with two cardboard bike boxes on the 11th August. We are cycling home, so wondering if anyone would want them for a return journey. Or would anyone know where to recycle them at the airport? Thanks
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If no one coincidentally wants them (likely) then just leave them at the airport. I usually try to find a cleaner or some official.

Otherwise I leave them next to a rubbish bin, hopefully they will be recycled.

If I can't tell someone, then I usually break the bottom and flatten, so less of a security worry.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

simonhill wrote: 4 Aug 2022, 5:51pm ETIAS delayed (yet again). Implementation now planned end of 2023.

(EU online entry and visa system)
The entry system is a different thing. That's still rolling out this year.

It's the pre-authorisation that's been delayed.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, sloppy shorthand, although once ETIAS is in it wil be part of the entry procedure.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

wendyd wrote: 7 Aug 2022, 2:00pm Not sure if this is the correct place for this topic, however we arrive in Geneva with two cardboard bike boxes on the 11th August. We are cycling home, so wondering if anyone would want them for a return journey. Or would anyone know where to recycle them at the airport? Thanks
At the airport in Geneva I usually leave any rubbish by the oversize belt which is at one end of the luggage hall a little separate to the other belts (far right hand side as you enter). They’re pretty quick to clear it away but obviously best to leave it in such a way that it doesn’t look like it could constitute a threat ie better spread out than compact and unclear as to whether it presents a risk. From a practical point of view unless you unpack them outside or in a hotel somewhere that’s where you’ll have to leave it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The EU has delayed the introduction of a €7 visa-waiver form to enter its passport-free zone, meaning British travellers are unlikely to face the charge until 2024 at the earliest.
"The European travel authorisation and information system (Etias), which applies to non-EU citizens from 60 countries that have visa-free travel with the EU, is now scheduled to start operating from November 2023. Travellers will then benefit from a six-month transition period while border authorities run information campaigns on the new requirements."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... eu-delayed

(i can't find the official announcement.)

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Johnathan, announced at top of this page. Official announcement said November 2023.

You can usually find links on schengenvisainfo.com
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

Is the ETIAS delay the same as the €7 fee delay?

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Yes.ETIAS is the online visa(?) system. You pay for 3 years of entry. Similar to the US and Australian systems.

(Of course not a visa as we are visa exempt, but pretty much like a visa to me.)

As far as I am aware there are 3 main EU wide 'entry' systems.

A security/terrorism/criminal database currently operational. Only checked if suspicion.

EES (Entry/Exit System). This will log you in and out of Schengen area with biometric checks. Doing away with passport stamps, enable e passport checks at airports etc. I think coming in this autumn
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/e ... ew-months/

ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System), basically entry register for visa exempt and full visa system for those that need one.

Happy to be corrected.
Last edited by simonhill on 10 Aug 2022, 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thankyou

Jonathan
wendyd

Post by wendyd »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:41am "The EU has delayed the introduction of a €7 visa-waiver form to enter its passport-free zone, meaning British travellers are unlikely to face the charge until 2024 at the earliest.
"The European travel authorisation and information system (Etias), which applies to non-EU citizens from 60 countries that have visa-free travel with the EU, is now scheduled to start operating from November 2023. Travellers will then benefit from a six-month transition period while border authorities run information campaigns on the new requirements."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... eu-delayed

(i can't find the official announcement.)

Jonathan
THANK YOU. We ended up running for our connecting train, but great to know for next time :D
pal

Post by pal »

Perhaps relevant to some late summer travellers: a strike's been announced for Dutch railways, starting on 24th August -- initially on individual days depending on the region, though the threat is then for a national strike in early September if no settlement is reached. Some preliminary info here (the NS website is promising more details on cancellations &c early next week): https://dutchreview.com/news/ns-workers ... therlands/
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

pal wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 10:19am Perhaps relevant to some late summer travellers: a strike's been announced for Dutch railways, starting on 24th August -- initially on individual days depending on the region, though the threat is then for a national strike in early September if no settlement is reached. Some preliminary info here (the NS website is promising more details on cancellations &c early next week): https://dutchreview.com/news/ns-workers ... therlands/
Thanks for the heads up pal. Might be useful to know but hopefully not!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Reports on the news and Twitter that longish delays at Calais. Due to absences by UK Border Force.

Presumably our Govt spokespeople will be castigating the Brits for purposely screwing the free flow of traffic.

Oh hang on, it's us - must be a good reason, couldn't be helped.