Europe 2022

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jack1

Europe 2022

Post by jack1 »

🤔 Europe 2022 🤔 I’m wondering if touring will happen this year.??? 🤔
simonhill

Re: Europe 2022

Post by simonhill »

Yes.

Currently musing over Southern Spain in Feb and March.

I had 7 weeks in Portugal Oct - Nov last year. You just need to read the rules and go. Once on the road, I had no problems at all. They did change the return rules just before I returned, but nothing a smartphone couldn't handle.

Go and enjoy.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

simonhill wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 6:35pm Yes.

Currently musing over Southern Spain in Feb and March.

I had 7 weeks in Portugal Oct - Nov last year. You just need to read the rules and go. Once on the road, I had no problems at all. They did change the return rules just before I returned, but nothing a smartphone couldn't handle.

Go and enjoy.
Well I struggle with "smart" phones. I too travelled last autumn.
Requirements were, at that time, that one needed to book a test within 48 hours of returning and fill in an Advanced Passenger Information form for every individual travelling. Five pages!!

I found a site offering the said tests and ordered and paid for them, using my iphone. I hardly ever pay with the iphone but was forced to do so effectively.

I chose ( as you would?) a cheap option from the extensive list on the official UK Govt site that covered my area; The Vivo Clinic.
They confirmed my order by email immediately, confirming my home address and a delivery date for the Lateral Flow Tests and sent a booking number.

The API requires a test booking number/reference.
This is entered on the last(!!) page of the API online form.
Having got though the 4 or 5 pages of the API form, when I entered the Vivo Clinic number the API website said it was "invalid"!
But gave no further information.

No matter what I did the number supplied was "invalid".
I thought it might be a Welsh language address problem!! It happens sometimes!!!
Got stressed about it and gave up.
I had other things to do.

I tried to fill in the second passenger API form the following morning, just before a thousand mile road journey to Calais but came up against the same problem- "booking number invalid".

Now proper stressful.
Helpline at Vivo Clinic stating a minimum 2 hour waiting time!!

The upshot was arriving at Calais early evening without API document and was inevitably told at the booth we couldn't board the booked ferry.
I explained the problem but she couldn't help or be bothered.

I was told to go out of the Port confines again to the Portacabin ticket office and they might be able to help.

A French Angel in the ticket office did help me, I could have hugged her!

She had seen the problem before!!
The booking number the Vivo Clinic had sent was a character too short.(Govt accredited really!! Such tosh)
She merely added some letter (apparently random) and she was able to complete the form. Unbelievable.

Additionally, my old device was unable to connect to the wifi in the office for some unknown reason so she used another email address(!) that of the ferry company itself.
We missed the booked ferry because of all the problems and travelled by the next one- which wasn't the ferry on the API form!!

A case of Covid onboard either ferry would therefore not have been notified to us.
The test kits were here on arrival. They were duly used, and were negative.

Upon emailing the photographed results with numbers etc to Vivo Clinic I was told I needed to include my passport open at the photo (and ALL the numbers) page.
They were insistent and ignored my complaint about the invalid booking number.
I told them I would not send such a clearly incompetent firm such sensitive passport details. Easily enough to forge a Passport convincingly.

And they refused to verify my test results!!
And I told them to shove it where the sun don't shine in no uncertain terms.
The stress at Calais was really pretty bad and that hardened (think very hard indeed) my stance on the giving of passport details.

So I entered the UK on the wrong vessel,
with a made up booking number, and my test status was never officially confirmed or registered.

All in all, it was £30 that the test supplier pocketed and other than that nobody gained anything but lots of hassle and wasted time.
(This was all pre Omijob, I might add.)
It leaves me even more disillusioned with the brave new digital world.
It has become so complex and riddled with scams and unreliability that it makes life harder instead of easier.

It never works for me as it says it should, I try but something almost always goes adrift.

I thought the testing requirement was a waste of time anyway, seeing as mainland Europe had LESS cases than the UK at that time.
And this experience confirmed that.

To me it looked and felt like a simple moneymaking scam by the UK with little or no value other than to Vivo Clinic.

Smash the smart phone!
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 9:10pm I chose ( as you would?) a cheap option from the extensive list on the official UK Govt site that covered my area; The Vivo Clinic.
I'd look for reviews and comments, especially from friends. Pay peanuts, get monkeys, as you sadly demonstrated again.

Rather than smash the smart phone, how about smashing the idiots that accredited such a shifty firm?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mjr wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 10:45pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 9:10pm I chose ( as you would?) a cheap option from the extensive list on the official UK Govt site that covered my area; The Vivo Clinic.
I'd look for reviews and comments, especially from friends. Pay peanuts, get monkeys, as you sadly demonstrated again.

Rather than smash the smart phone, how about smashing the idiots that accredited such a shifty firm?
I take the point but, firstly I have far better things to do with my time than search through endless and unsubstantiated reviews. Reviews are one of the most abused areas of the Net.

I put my (little) trust in the UK Govt website, one is "over a barrel" there really.

Secondly, do you think that a positive review or two would really guarantee a better result?
Vivo Clincic do have some good reviews if you check, though I never looked, would have been in practice futile.

And given absolutely the awful keypad of this iphone 7 which is worse by far than the old 4, I think smashing them both is quite a likely outcome at some point.
I could design a better keypad and I'm a farmer!

It's all too complicated now.
Everything needs endless updates to maintain security.

I have a paper vaccination certificate.
No NHS App. I simply can't be bothered with the faff of that and I also don't trust it to function.
Paper copy served me far far better than the phone would. IMHO.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Hoping for a nice ride somewhere in Germany.

Only problem is demand - I think my work trips may push me over 90 in 180, so will have to get someone to sort out the relevant work Visa.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I had to jump through the same hoops in September on a trip to France.
My impression is that the government by means of it's testing regime has given it's criminal friends a licence to pick our pockets.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Yes PDQ Mobile and ANTONISH, it really is all crap!
The government haven't a clue - and couldn't care less - the testing bods are ripping us all off and having a good laugh about our sheep like mentality, and there is no end to it until the day we fizzle out.
In the mean time, there are plenty of places in Britain still unexplored, so give the two fingers up to those who are making our lives miserable, and go ride your bike somewhere closer to home and just imagine you are cycling through the beautiful Loire valley as you dodge the Chelsea tractors along our narrow country lanes. :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

For testing kits, moneysavingexpert have a review section. I also used recommendations on the TripAdvisor page for the country I was going to. Not reviews, just " I used xxx and it worked well" from longstanding contributors.

I also used the link from my airline to their recommended (and discount) one. It was also recommended on moneysavingexpert. Couldn't see the airline(s) being too happy with dodgy no show tests.
delilah

Post by delilah »

jack1 wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 6:32pm 🤔 Europe 2022 🤔 I’m wondering if touring will happen this year.??? 🤔
Mmmmm... Good question.
I have a voucher left over from a cancelled Easy jet flight so I am going to use that before it expires. Portugal looks favourite.
I would also like to re-visit Belgium for the excellent cycling. No ferry anymore to Zeebruge and its logistically difficult to travel from Manchester to Flanders. There are some cheap flights to Brussels but I'm reluctant to book anything under the present circumstances.
This virus has certainly changed things!
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

simonhill wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 4:07pm For testing kits, moneysavingexpert have a review section. I also used recommendations on the TripAdvisor page for the country I was going to. Not reviews, just " I used xxx and it worked well" from longstanding contributors.

I also used the link from my airline to their recommended (and discount) one. It was also recommended on moneysavingexpert. Couldn't see the airline(s) being too happy with dodgy no show tests.
In my case I tried to use the company associated with P&O Ferries but the website said they were out of stock!!

So I went to the Govt list and chose a cheap option; you would wouldn't you?

The tests did arrive of course.
I was very unhappy about giving them ( or any unknown party) my passport details. And therefore didn't.

The not recognised booking number fiasco is simply not understandable, however you slant it.
Not everyone travels simply for holidays.
mjr

Post by mjr »

delilah wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 4:51pm I would also like to re-visit Belgium for the excellent cycling. No ferry anymore to Zeebruge and its logistically difficult to travel from Manchester to Flanders.
Except for the virus-related requirements, it seems easier at first glance than the old Zeebrugge ferries from Felixstowe or Hull: one train to London Euston (still limited bike spaces but far more trains), a short transfer to nearby St Pancras International and then either Eurostar to Brussels (normally 9 a day) for south/east Flanders, or Southeastern to Dover (hourly trains, 6 bikes per train plus more at guard's discretion) for a ferry to Dunkirk (normally every 2 hours) and the recently-completed EuroVelo 4 section to De Panne for western Flanders and beyond (the weakest link is now the little bit out from the port to EV4).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 11:07pm I take the point but, firstly I have far better things to do with my time than search through endless and unsubstantiated reviews. Reviews are one of the most abused areas of the Net.
Oh for sure, there are dodgy (dud, paid-for, astroturfed, ...) reviews out there, which is why I suggested not just searching for them... but if you feel that fighting with a clueless test company is a better use of your time, then go ahead and knock yourself out.
I put my (little) trust in the UK Govt website, one is "over a barrel" there really.
Do you really still trust that bunch of truth-twisters at all? Why?
Secondly, do you think that a positive review or two would really guarantee a better result?
Vivo Clincic do have some good reviews if you check, though I never looked, would have been in practice futile.
Not guarantee, but it makes it more likely, especially if (as I suggested) you look for reviewers you trust, rather than rely on the apparently-incompetent gov.uk review.
[...]
No NHS App. I simply can't be bothered with the faff of that and I also don't trust it to function.
I don't have the NHS App either but I scan or save the vaccination certificate square off the website when I need it, then show it on my screen. No reason to rely on paper that is easy to lose and can be destroyed forever by a little water!
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mjr wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 5:12pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 11:07pm I take the point but, firstly I have far better things to do with my time than search through endless and unsubstantiated reviews. Reviews are one of the most abused areas of the Net.
Oh for sure, there are dodgy (dud, paid-for, astroturfed, ...) reviews out there, which is why I suggested not just searching for them... but if you feel that fighting with a clueless test company is a better use of your time, then go ahead and knock yourself out.
Do you really still trust that bunch of truth-twisters at all? Why?
Not guarantee, but it makes it more likely, especially if (as I suggested) you look for reviewers you trust, rather than rely on the apparently-incompetent gov.uk review.
[...]
I don't have the NHS App either but I scan or save the vaccination certificate square off the website when I need it, then show it on my screen. No reason to rely on paper that is easy to lose and can be destroyed forever by a little water!
I don't think any of that stands slightest scrutiny.

One looks for a provider, they mess up big time on the digital side of things, and cause huge difficulties.
But they did provide the tests on time as ordered.
And they sent a booking number straight away and confirmation email straight away. Address etc correct.

It was impossible for me to tell ithe booking number was wrong or rather incompatible with an unknown system.
What would you do?
It is not a Govt "recommendation" but the Home Office website showing accredited test providers.
I expect the Home Office to help me, yes.

I didn't have that much spare time what with the preparation for the coming road travelling and the filling in of the API form - twice it's quite long.
The dreaded iphone keypad makes it slow and difficult.
Have you filled one out?
To find it refused at the very last hurdle for an unspecified and unfathomable "invalid number" is crap, I can assure you.

It all proved a complete waste anyway in that little was correctly recorded on the API.

Paper serves me best.
I am of that generation which views digital as unreliable- with good reason as it turned out.

I am also of the generation that always takes good, dry, safe care of my passport. Which is surprisingly where I keep the paper NHS certificate!
I never find it a problem.
And have never had a problem with acceptance anywhere.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I almost forgot that this post is about Europe in 2022.