Europe 2022

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Europe 2022

Post by Jdsk »

All P & O Ferries across the Channel are suspended over Easter. Compensation and some transfers are being offered.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A slightly worrying report in Schengen Visa Info.

Basically detailing how the Spanish could ask for €100 a day and the French even more.

Personally I don't think this will trouble normal tourists, but a handful of credit/debit cards won't go amiss. (Incidentally, some countries I've encountered (non EU) don't count credit cards because you have no money, only an unsubstantiated offer of credit.)

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/e ... quirement/
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I've been asked the last 3 times I went in to Germany for proof of funds (I think they require about 58 Euros per day). Showed tham HSBC app.

France is a bit more picky - they require 60 per day if you have pre-booked Hotel accomodation or 120 otherwise. So I think for a camping trip it would be 120. I know a few retired yachties have been caught out and complained online - applied for a 6 month tourist Visa but didn't have the income to get it.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

st599_uk wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:11pm I've been asked the last 3 times I went in to Germany for proof of funds (I think they require about 58 Euros per day). Showed tham HSBC app.
When was this? Was this flying directly in?

I've sometimes travelled to Germany with almost no immediate funds available, i've been staying with friends or pay day was due partway through a trip. It doesn't sound a lot but it soon mounts up for a 2/3 week trip.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

How do they check how much you've got? Have they a machine to check your balance? If you said you were only staying for 7 days and showed £1000 in your account what is to stop you touring for a month? You could have a return cheapo ticket for the 7 day which you chuck. I can't see how they can police it efficiently.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I presume it's done at the usual arrival / passport / kiosk spot prior to embarkation and they'll pick the odd vehicle / passenger / cyclist to confirm.

How you prove it is interesting. Any experience of touring cyclists using channel ports?
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Went to Netherlands a week ago. Didn’t even check Covid passport let alone money.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

foxyrider wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 6:15pm
st599_uk wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 12:11pm I've been asked the last 3 times I went in to Germany for proof of funds (I think they require about 58 Euros per day). Showed tham HSBC app.
When was this? Was this flying directly in?

I've sometimes travelled to Germany with almost no immediate funds available, i've been staying with friends or pay day was due partway through a trip. It doesn't sound a lot but it soon mounts up for a 2/3 week trip.
October, February and last week.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 8:21pm Went to Netherlands a week ago. Didn’t even check Covid passport let alone money.
At the moment it's all based on passport stamps and getting checked at entry. From September it's meant to be automated - finger print checks and the like.
A novice learning...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bogawski wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 6:53pm How do they check how much you've got? Have they a machine to check your balance? If you said you were only staying for 7 days and showed £1000 in your account what is to stop you touring for a month? You could have a return cheapo ticket for the 7 day which you chuck. I can't see how they can police it efficiently.
It would be for you to prove you have funds, not them to disprove. Nowadays, easily done on a smartphone with banking apps. I have a savings account that I could show that would cover a prolonged stay. Not that I intend to spend it, of course. Also, if credit cards are accepted then that's 5 grand that ' I've got ' - sort of.

Personally, I don't think this will be a problem for normal tourists. It is an underlying set of rules to use against undesirables (however you may perceive them). Nonetheless, for a variety of reasons, you could be challenged.

If you don't have enough funds, then a bit of planning may be necessary. Remember it's only to show when you enter, you don't have to spend it. Borrowing some cash from family or friends that you repay the minute you get your passport stamp could be an option for some. As you say, a throw away or amendable ticket to show a much shorter planned trip is another option.

For the UK, evidence of salary or pension paid into your account can be taken into consideration, not sure if the EU do this.

As an alternative, you could draw up a spreadsheet of your planned expenses, particularly if camping. A schedule showing daily spend could help show why you have and need less money.

Many of these 'little fiddles' have been commonplace in countries where visa rules are tighter. Hopefully none will prove necessary.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

A recent trip through Dover and Calais:
viewtopic.php?p=1688336#p1688336

Jonathan
RickH

Post by RickH »

Eurostar Train Manager on Twitter (link) posted the following yesterday
"To all the #Eurostar cyclists waiting for news: #cycling #vélo"
Eurostar - bikes on board.jpg
Blue bar says "We’re planning to relaunch our bike service in mid-May, on selected trains between Paris and London. Look out for more details on this page soon." (is this updated info?)

but main text says (still?)

"Travelling with your bike on Eurostar
Until further notice, our usual bike on board service is suspended on all routes, and we will be unable to accept any bookings for fully assembled bikes or boxed bikes."

(Direct link to the Eurostar info)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
twowheelstwokids

Post by twowheelstwokids »

Bogawski wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 6:53pm How do they check how much you've got? Have they a machine to check your balance? If you said you were only staying for 7 days and showed £1000 in your account what is to stop you touring for a month? You could have a return cheapo ticket for the 7 day which you chuck. I can't see how they can police it efficiently.
I think they'll want to know about your planned return date and will calculate it from there. I suppose you could say 7 days then change your booking and stay longer? The rules are only going to get tighter when the new ETIS system kicks in, which is like the US ESTA system. All this extra hassle (amongst other things) thanks to Brexit!

At least covid testing restrictions have relaxed.
Life on two wheels - with the family and for the holidays and a bit of campaigning thrown in.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

ETIAS could make it easier as you won't need a passport stamp and therefore might not need to see a human if using an e-gate.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"There are reports coming in that Spanish authorities are refusing entry to British nationals trying to enter the country from Gibraltar."

"A number of travellers were also asked to show proof of funds for the duration of their stay in Spain, the Express newspaper reported, which wrote that not only Brits but also a range of other, non-EU nationals have been affected by the tighter border checks."

https://www.cityam.com/brexit-disbelief ... -entering/

Jonathan