Europe 2022

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bohrsatom

Re: Europe 2022

Post by bohrsatom »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:20am Have I found an old page or is it working again?
Looks like it’s working again - that’s unexpected! Good spot.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

bohrsatom wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:33am
Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:20am Have I found an old page or is it working again?
Looks like it’s working again - that’s unexpected! Good spot.
Thanks.

It does seem to appear when using the URL that previously said that the service was down. : - )

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Looks good, not that a trip to Dover would entice me at the best of times and this isn’t those.

Does anyone know if other ports are flowing ok? My main interests would always be the western approaches so Plymouth, Poole and Portsmouth are of interest to me and I’m not aware of problems at Plymouth as my local city but what about Harwich and Folkestone I guess too?

I get the ferry in just under 6 weeks and am already really looking forward to it and over preparing. .
mjr

Post by mjr »

Reports on another online group say that the "red line" cycling&walking route into Dover port bypasses nearly all of the queueing motorists. This is probably due to active travel being much more space-efficient and much of that route also being the staff entry route, splitting only a short while before the security checkpoint.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 11:13am ...
Does anyone know if other ports are flowing ok? My main interests would always be the western approaches so Plymouth, Poole and Portsmouth are of interest to me and I’m not aware of problems at Plymouth as my local city but what about Harwich and Folkestone I guess too?
Roads to Folkestone and the Eurotunnel terminal now severely congested:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... nel-delays

Jonathan
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

But what if a cycle tourist wish go via a ferry can they jump the queue?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
mjr

Post by mjr »

Philip Benstead wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 1:54pm But what if a cycle tourist wish go via a ferry can they jump the queue?
What do you mean by "jump the queue"? I've already highlighted that cyclists use a different queue.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Sorry did not read yours correctly, I will stand in the corner 😉 😊
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

MRSHJ query:

Dover's problem is that they do French passport and immigration checks in Dover docks.

Portsmouth to St M had passport at exit to French docks. Probably the same for Ouistreham ferry, so no delay at Portsmouth.

Not sure about others as I haven't used post Brexit.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 3:41pmDover's problem is that they do French passport and immigration checks in Dover docks.

Portsmouth to St M had passport at exit to French docks. Probably the same for Ouistreham ferry, so no delay at Portsmouth.

Not sure about others as I haven't used post Brexit.
There's only a few that use the juxtaposed arrangement:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juxtaposed_controls

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

MrsHJ wrote: 31 May 2022, 7:47pm
bohrsatom wrote: 31 May 2022, 6:10pm
ANTONISH wrote: 31 May 2022, 9:24am That seems OK. - I take it you have checked the bike space availability from Amiens to Paris?
Yeah I have - the TER from Calais to Paris stops midway in Amiens. An overnight in Amiens means the bulk of the journey to Paris is done the evening before, and it's only 90mins or so to reach Paris the next day. Added benefit: not having to spend the night in Calais :D

Not too worried about the Paris riding, I was there earlier in the year and there are lots of new cycle lanes. Easy to get from Gare du Nord to the Seine along Boulevard Sebastopol using a new protected cycle lane, and sure there's one on the other side of the river to continue to Montparnasse.
On my last trip to Montparnasse I couldn't find a lift big enough to fit my bike - taking bike and luggage up the stairs was not fun so I need to research that more before I leave
Let us know the solution (if there is one, speaking as a veteran of quite a few bike/luggage portage exercises- this one would be a tricky one as it’s such a big station). I think SNCF have detailed plans of the big stations on their website so hopefully there is a bigger lift somewhere.
Has anyone been to Montparnasse station in Paris recently? I need to get off the TGV there and then cycle across Paris to Gare de L’Est. Would be good to know the access logistics. Lift cabin dimensions are apparently 110cm by 130cm which sounds a bit tight for the bike although I can usually wedge it into most places!

Not sure I want to test the escalator with a laden bike despite all the recent advice!
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Harwich outbound was delayed by 1hr last week but only because the ferries are fully booked for the summer holidays. Return trip starting at The Hook of Holland had no delays on Sunday.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

MrsHJ wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 8:35pm Has anyone been to Montparnasse station in Paris recently? I need to get off the TGV there and then cycle across Paris to Gare de L’Est. Would be good to know the access logistics. Lift cabin dimensions are apparently 110cm by 130cm which sounds a bit tight for the bike although I can usually wedge it into most places!

Not sure I want to test the escalator with a laden bike despite all the recent advice!

Yes, there is a lift between concourse level and ground level which is large enough for a fully laden bike, no need to remove any bags. If disembarking a TGV here, you should arrive on level 2 - head across the concourse out to towards the (newly built) shopping area and you’ll find the lift just next to a shop called Faguo.

(The SNCF ‘Ma Gare’ app is quite helpful as it has detailed station maps available)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bainbridge wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 10:02pm Harwich outbound was delayed by 1hr last week but only because the ferries are fully booked for the summer holidays. Return trip starting at The Hook of Holland had no delays on Sunday.
Day or overnight crossing?

I always has the impression the overnight crossing was going slower as it is scheduled to take longer than the day crossing.

Only wondering as I may be heading out in a couple of days (overnight crossing).

Ian
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Psamathe wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 10:19pm
bainbridge wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 10:02pm Harwich outbound was delayed by 1hr last week but only because the ferries are fully booked for the summer holidays. Return trip starting at The Hook of Holland had no delays on Sunday.
Day or overnight crossing?

I always has the impression the overnight crossing was going slower as it is scheduled to take longer than the day crossing.

Only wondering as I may be heading out in a couple of days (overnight crossing).

Ian
We took the overnight ferry both ways.