Europe 2022

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
horizon

Re: Europe 2022

Post by horizon »

Many thanks for that Jonathan. The expectation was that they would change the rules on May 15th but then they didn't - and now they have :) .
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

This is the view on that announcement by a TripAdvisor regular:

"Before jumping up and down with joy, just hold fire a few days until the legal decree is published. I’m just urging caution as Reyes has a track record of going off on one, only to have her off the cuff statements overruled by the minister for health who has the final say. Hopefully it is about to change for the better, but if you are un-vaccinated, don’t book until it is confirmed in Spain’s Boletín and the exact text is clear.🤗"
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

With no intention of going to Spain my interest in this is limited but the thing that jumped off the page for me was that the announcement was by a tourism minister which seems to chime with simonhill's quote.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

According to reports it has now been published in the Boletin, so people with test are good to go.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks for that. Yes, they did have to retract it once before so it's good to have it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Aside from the covid aspects of this, I'm just reminded of the time when it was possible to throw away the International Driving Licence. Things seem to have taken a slide downhill in the past few years - hopefully they will slide back up again.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 8:54am Continued delays in issuing blue passports. No solid data but doesn't sound as if it will improve soon.
The best data that are currently available:

"Not everybody is getting their passports issued in four to six weeks":
https://fullfact.org/immigration/passpo ... klog-pmqs/
includes:

During a debate in the House of Commons on 12 May, Home Office minister Tom Pursglove said that “the vast majority of passport applications are being processed within the 10-week time frame and more than 90% within six weeks”.

In addition, Mr Pursglove said that fewer than 1.4% of UK passports printed in the previous week “had been in the system for longer than 10 weeks”.

A spokesperson for the Passport Office told Full Fact: “Since April 2021, we’ve clearly stated that people should allow up to ten weeks when applying for their passport to factor in the increased demand”. They added that the “overwhelming majority” of applications are completed within this time.

Jonathan

PS: Also includes a terminological inexactitude from the Prime Minister, but what doesn't?
pal

Post by pal »

Bikes on Eurostar update (not a happy one...): https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycle ... e-eurostar
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for that. : - (

Jonathan
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

pal wrote: 27 May 2022, 4:16pm Bikes on Eurostar update (not a happy one...): https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycle ... e-eurostar
Just infuriating. Luckily I'm not planning on needing it this year, but even so!
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I wouldn’t be surprised (but would be seriously disappointed) if this “coming soon” continues for a while longer, then Eurostar stop carrying bikes altogether
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

bohrsatom wrote: 28 May 2022, 4:33pm I wouldn’t be surprised (but would be seriously disappointed) if this “coming soon” continues for a while longer, then Eurostar stop carrying bikes altogether
There is the option of south east train to Ashford and get the channel tunnel cycle shuttle service to Calais - then ter to Lille.
Some of the TGV's have bookable bike space.
I realise that this may be a slower option.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:17am
bohrsatom wrote: 28 May 2022, 4:33pm I wouldn’t be surprised (but would be seriously disappointed) if this “coming soon” continues for a while longer, then Eurostar stop carrying bikes altogether
There is the option of south east train to Ashford and get the channel tunnel cycle shuttle service to Calais - then ter to Lille.
Thanks. We were discussing options yesterday.

Is that this:

"Cycle to the Continent with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle":
https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travellin ... /bicycles/

The website says that it's closed.

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Jdsk wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:21am
Thanks. We were discussing options yesterday.

Is that this:

"Cycle to the Continent with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle":
https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travellin ... /bicycles/

The website says that it's closed.

Jonathan
South east to Dover then ferry to Calais - my preferred route.
I usually carry my bike dismantled in a light bike bag - TGV luggage size allowance is better than Eurostar - there is of course some bookable cycle space on some TGV's and ter are quite extensive.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Dover port and roads and buses at a halt:
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news ... rt-267906/

Jonathan
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I’ve been researching this route for an upcoming trip and I’ve not found any Lille-Paris TGVs with bike spaces for reservation

The only route options seem to be:
TER Calais - Amiens - Paris (every day)
Or take one of the two daily Lille - Paris TERs which operate at weekends only