Best deals for roaming?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Best deals for roaming?

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 11:52am
mjr wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 11:36am
simonhill wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 10:42am According to this
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/e ... ore-years/

the EU are extending roaming for 10 more years.

Phew, lucky we don't have all this bureaucracy anymore.
... Russian (3 and its subsidiaries)...
I was not aware of this and would be keen to know more (but Google not a lot of help). Any further info (not disputing, I never heard and an interested as my impression it's not widespread knowledge).
In part of Europe, 3 is a joint venture of CK and some Russian telecom company. I can't look it up right now and things change quickly but I think Italy was one. If you roam a UK 3 there, money will go to the joint venture 3 with a share of profits to the Russian owner. And can anyone run a telecom company in Russia without Putin's blessing these days?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 11:58am
Psamathe wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 11:52am
mjr wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 11:36am
... Russian (3 and its subsidiaries)...
I was not aware of this and would be keen to know more (but Google not a lot of help). Any further info (not disputing, I never heard and an interested as my impression it's not widespread knowledge).
In part of Europe, 3 is a joint venture of CK and some Russian telecom company. I can't look it up right now and things change quickly but I think Italy was one. If you roam a UK 3 there, money will go to the joint venture 3 with a share of profits to the Russian owner. And can anyone run a telecom company in Russia without Putin's blessing these days?
Don't spend your time looking it up (it's just personal interest and I'd not want others spending time researching for me). My Google search did include an article about Mikhail Fridman but I couldn't trace a link to Hutchinson (though there do seem plenty of links to Putin).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Extension of and improvements to the EU scheme from yesterday:
https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.eu/e ... es/roaming

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"MoneySavingExpert.com has today published a new report containing worrying findings on EU roaming. It comes as post-Brexit roaming protections have now ended and most major networks have reintroduced roaming fees in the EU, ultimately leaving mobile users with weaker rights and many with higher costs."
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... g-warning/

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What is the word for having to say thanks for the something unpleasant? :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hmmm. It all sounds so complicated.
I'm increasingly anxious about phone network charges when I go to Denmark this winter. I'm wondering what steps to take to keep costs down as low as poss.. Presumably simply turning data roaming off is a good start, if somewhat crude. My travelling companions are thinking we should use WhatsApp while there - I'm worried that as we're all using different cell companies, we'll somehow get stung for phoning or texting each other, even though we'll be in the same country - any comments?
Last edited by simonineaston on 8 Aug 2022, 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What's your UK provider and deal?

WhatsApp and similar use the "data" charging system rather than the 'phone or text charging.

Jonathan

PS: I prefer not to use WhatsApp because of its ownership. How about Signal?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

EE, as pictured.
re Signal, all my chums are firmly embedded with WhatsApp so it's non-starter.
phone contract
phone contract
roaming add-on
roaming add-on
S
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Turn off roaming before you get there and check its off if you've switched phone off on a plane.

Check out what EE charge (your plan) for texts. Most are free to receive anywhere, just as well as most of mine are from EE. You may find texts a good way of keeping in touch.

Get the EE app, it shows what you have used so you will know if you have somehow slipped into payment mode.

WhatsApp will only be useful when you have WiFi. It won't be worth paying roaming data just for that.

I travel a lot outside Europe, so am experienced in what people are now getting in EU. To sum up: Data roaming off. Your phone will pick up local network for phone etc, but no charge for this. Don't answer any phone calls as you will be charged by the minute to receive. Receiving texts free. Make contact when WiFi available by email or WhatsApp. I have never paid any extra.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 9:31am What is the word for having to say thanks for the something unpleasant? :wink:
Brexit. The largest involuntary revocation of citizenship the world has ever seen.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks Simon :-)
S
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Maybe look at the other providers when your contract runs out in October. Some of them are offering ok roaming included (but beware fair usage limits as you do a a fair bit of travelling). Isn’t O2 now going to be the one to go for for Europe? My three contract runs for just over a year still with roaming and I’ll review then. I’m sim only. Daughter included roaming in her latest contract with EE maybe but I haven’t checked her terms.

Stupid b thing that I can’t mention. Hopefully some sanity with prevail at government levels eventually and they’ll deal with a few of the worst issues. Money saving expert can be quite influential on consumer matters so his bringing this up is helpful but I think the government is out to lunch atm.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

If you had a phone with a dual SIM, would it work to buy a local SIM (PAYG, for a month, say) in your touring country for data, and keep your original number for emergency contact?
OK that woudn't work for WhatsApp 'cos your number would be wrong. So you'd need WiFi for that.
If you don't need WhatsApp, you only need one (local) SIM, just divert incoming calls to your temporary number?
Chris F, Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 8 Aug 2022, 5:37pm Maybe look at the other providers when your contract runs out in October. Some of them are offering ok roaming included (but beware fair usage limits as you do a a fair bit of travelling). Isn’t O2 now going to be the one to go for for Europe? My three contract runs for just over a year still with roaming and I’ll review then. I’m sim only. Daughter included roaming in her latest contract with EE maybe but I haven’t checked her terms.
MSE guide updated 12 July:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobil ... ing-calls/

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What's worrying me is the added complexity of my companions using different carriers. I may be over-complicating things but these days when companies seemingly conspire to deliberately obscure and complicate the arrangements, I'm not so sure that there's any such thing as worrying too much!
So, if my chums and I all use different carriers - and lets assume for simplicity's sake that we all turn mobile data off and let's assume too that we have all either bought a roaming add-on or have it in our contracts, is there any possibility that we are in for any nasty shocks, charge-wise? I don't think so, but as I say they're slippery beggers and I don't trust them one inch!!
S