Best deals for roaming?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

EE - No More Free Mobile Roaming from January

Post by simonhill »

They said they wouldn't, now they have. For new customers from 1st Jan. How long before existing customers?

Also, O2 and 3 have reduced data allowance.

This is what take back control means - the big companies are taking back control. Huzzah!

Somewhat amusingly The Daily Express are shocked. https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sc ... s-price-EU
borisface

Re: EE - No More Free Mobile Roaming from January

Post by borisface »

The latest data shows that far from being £350 million better off, the cost of Brexit to the UK has so far been £800 million a week - in other words a spectacular disaster.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

any chance that this thread might be kept to the topic of mobile roaming which may be of practical interest to folks once we can get back into europe post covid?
If not I am tempted to start using the thread to diss all silent gods of whatever brand that have allowed this hell to descend and keep us all from enjoying foreign parts.
Sweep
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

I've not seen anywhere yet whether this is EE specifically, or all EE brands (BT own EE, BT Mobile and Plusnet Mobile)?

It is a backward step, which was predicted (and called "Project Fear" by the usual suspects) in 2016, and is unfortunately now coming true now that we don't have the protection of that EU law.

O2 making the limit 25GB/month seems less of a change. Hopefully more companies will pick that model over the EE one. I guess we can also see if the claim that data roaming as at home would cause domestic mobile costs to go up, as made by the networks when this came in, will hold true, and now they can charge us more for going abroad, they will be able to bring our monthly costs down, surely?

I won't hold my breath on that one.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mcshroom wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 3:59pm I've not seen anywhere yet whether this is EE specifically, or all EE brands (BT own EE, BT Mobile and Plusnet Mobile)?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... e-january/

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 24 Jun 2021, 4:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Didn't see that coming...oh wait :roll:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It's worth reading the mse link posted above.

Firstly "BT Mobile customers, which are part of the same group as EE, are not affected. ", so that answers that one.

O2 and 3 have quite large allowances after their cuts - 25gb and 12gb respectively.

EE's are the most pernicious, with a complete cut for new customers, but if you let your contract continue then you don't lose it - just a worse contract possibly. Not sure how it affects payg like me who just continue (buy new) every month on the same cost tariff.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonhill wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 1:57pm They said they wouldn't, now they have. For new customers from 1st Jan. How long before existing customers?

Also, O2 and 3 have reduced data allowance.

This is what take back control means - the big companies are taking back control. Huzzah!

Somewhat amusingly The Daily Express are shocked. https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sc ... s-price-EU
I think their phrase was 'no plans to'.

Comms by Mr W Easel :)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Who would have thought that there might be some difficulties?
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When they all do pretty much the same we have no choice. Whilst right now EE look to be "the worst" I doubt it will take the others too long to make-up new contracts to "match" EE's costs/constraints.

As others have said (going back to the long locked threads) it was always going to happen.

BUT, with the advent of dual-SIM phones I suspect ferry companies on-board shops will start stocking French or Dutch PAYG SIMs so you can get your data from an EU network. Also, EE are offering a "Travel Pass" at £10 for 30 days roaming which is more anoying than a financial impact (https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 72027.html). Also, without Freedom of Movement we are pretty limited on how long we can spend touring in the EU anyway.

It does highlight the increasing distance between UK and our largest trade partner, closest neighbours, etc. as well as how we are starting to lose the protections afforded us from EU regulations (incl. privacy, data, environmental, food standards, etc.)

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

INDY ref#1 we were told if you vote Yes Scots will incur mobile charges in the EU. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

BUT, with the advent of dual-SIM phones I suspect ferry companies on-board shops will start stocking French or Dutch PAYG SIMs so you can get your data from an EU network.
Or just buy the adaptor that allows you to insert Sovereignty into the SIM card slot?

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 5:32pm
BUT, with the advent of dual-SIM phones I suspect ferry companies on-board shops will start stocking French or Dutch PAYG SIMs so you can get your data from an EU network.
Or just buy the adaptor that allows you to insert Sovereignty into the SIM card slot?

Jonathan
I know the Queen's tiny but it would be a squeeze in there, I think.
Sure one can buy another SIM or a new and expensive phone.
It is the poorer folk that will suffer most though this, again.

But above all the complete turn around by the companies concerned is hypocrisy of the most profound kind.
After giving their word over and over again that they wouldn't do this.

In this business driven world the word of business leaders seems to be utterly worthless.
Never trust anything they say.

Remainers were right again.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 7:46pm ......
But above all the complete turn around by the companies concerned is hypocrisy of the most profound kind.

In this business driven world the word of business leaders seems to be utterly worthless.

Whilst I agree with the spirit of your post, al the "no roaming charge" from UK networks that I saw was "we have no plans ..." - and reality is plans can and do change over time (very few plans remain in place forever meaning they end-up changing).

e.g.
https://www.theregister.com/2018/09/13/brexit_mobile_roaming/ wrote:EE told us that it offers "inclusive roaming in Europe and beyond, and we don't have any plans to change these offers" and O2 said it has "no plans to change our roaming services across Europe".
Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 8:00pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 7:46pm ......

Whilst I agree with the spirit of your post, al the "no roaming charge" from UK networks that I saw was "we have no plans ..." - and reality is plans can and do change over time (very few plans remain in place forever meaning they end-up changing).

e.g.
https://www.theregister.com/2018/09/13/brexit_mobile_roaming/ wrote:EE told us that it offers "inclusive roaming in Europe and beyond, and we don't have any plans to change these offers" and O2 said it has "no plans to change our roaming services across Europe".
Ian
Sure.
Though the impression, indeed the assurance, was at the time that roaming would be unaffected!

Just as your quote states.
It would seem overly kind to describe it as misleading!

And misleading is obviously important in the context of the whole sorry saga.