Best deals for roaming?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: EE - No More Free Mobile Roaming from January

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:49pm I'd wait and see what they say post January.

Plenty of companies said they would hold till then. I am currently using my ee in Europe on a very basic package. I'll be surprised if this is still going next summer.
why January?
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Read the very first post. Originally, some companies said that existing customers would retain rights till January.

It may, or may not, be a watershed moment.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 8:11am Read the very first post. Originally, some companies said that existing customers would retain rights till January.

Ah sorry - mind fried by all the inevitable stuff about folk debating brexit.

This may of course affect Asda mobile who piggy back onto Vodafone who I believe made an announcement over the summer.

I generally only use the smartphone and mobile comms for data and am PAYG with no commitment beyond a month at most so unless my addled head (I'm not as up to speed on tech as I used to be) has missed something it should be pretty easy for me to just bung in a sim for whoever is offering the best service on this and other matters?
As far as I can think nothing is really linked to a particular mobile number - I don't use whatsapp for instance which I believe needs one (along with lots of other stuff to pass to facefark)
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 8:59am
simonhill wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 8:11am Read the very first post. Originally, some companies said that existing customers would retain rights till January.

Ah sorry - mind fried by all the inevitable stuff about folk debating brexit.
Including all the people debating brexit by telling others not to talk about brexit when this mess wouldn't have happened without it!

We were told the UK would keep the consumer protection laws, or even strengthen them, so when will Boris and co bring back fair roaming? Or was it... a lie? :shock:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 8:59amAs far as I can think nothing is really linked to a particular mobile number - I don't use whatsapp for instance which I believe needs one (along with lots of other stuff to pass to facefark)
Many people have security and password systems that are linked to mobile 'phone numbers. I have to use that for an organisational Microsoft account.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 9:14am
Sweep wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 8:59amAs far as I can think nothing is really linked to a particular mobile number - I don't use whatsapp for instance which I believe needs one (along with lots of other stuff to pass to facefark)
Many people have security and password systems that are linked to mobile 'phone numbers. I have to use that for an organisational Microsoft account.
I think many banks now authenticate by phone.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jonathan
thanks for the reply - wouldn't affect me - I access my personal msoft outlook mail from all sorts of devices.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 9:16am
ah - yep on some things - including paypal (I have set up two-stage authentication on paypal) I do get texts sent to a mobile sometimes as a security check but I use a dumb phone on a cheap PAYG thing (Asda) for that which does have a permanent number I've had since last century.

So should be OK I think freewheeling - I have also just acquired an android tab which takes a mobile SIM - anyone's.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 9:32am
Jdsk wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 9:14am Many people have security and password systems that are linked to mobile 'phone numbers. I have to use that for an organisational Microsoft account.
ah - yep on some things - including paypal (I have set up two-stage authentication on paypal) I do get texts sent to a mobile sometimes as a security check but I use a dumb phone on a cheap PAYG thing (Asda) for that which does have a permanent number I've had since last century.
And of course using anything different while abroad from what we're using all the time at home requires extra preparation and checking, and incurs a higher risk of failure just when it's needed and when we have fewer mitigating resources to hand.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Yes, my mobile number is becoming almost as important as my email address.

At first I hesitated to give it out, but it is so often required for all sorts of things. Often used by banks, etc to log in, make change etc.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 4:54pm BUT, with the advent of dual-SIM phones I suspect ferry companies on-board shops will start stocking French or Dutch PAYG SIMs so you can get your data from an EU network.
Many countries need you to present your ID card and complete an online registration with a government official before they'll sell you a SIM card. Some even require a local address.

The UK is the odd one out.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Re the dual SIM thing, it used to be that most dual SIM phones only worked on one sim at a time (2 could be used on special expensive phones). If dual, you chose which at the time.

Is this still the case?

In the old days receiving a text when (non EU) abroad cost a bit. Now it's free. Like it or not that phone number is part of your I'd nowadays.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 10:57am Re the dual SIM thing, it used to be that most dual SIM phones only worked on one sim at a time (2 could be used on special expensive phones). If dual, you chose which at the time.

Is this still the case?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When I travel I use pre-paid debit cards topped-up from bank account (to keep card balance low in case of theft). But (UK) rules over the last few years seem to require such a transfer be verified by a OTP code SMS texted to your mobile. And if you are outside the UK, then they still require this procedure. I tried having my mobile number removed from my account but then ended-up spending hours on the phone (poor connection Cambodia to UK bank!).

So only realistic option is to keep your UK SIM running whilst travelling.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

st599_uk wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 10:49am
Psamathe wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 4:54pm BUT, with the advent of dual-SIM phones I suspect ferry companies on-board shops will start stocking French or Dutch PAYG SIMs so you can get your data from an EU network.
Many countries need you to present your ID card and complete an online registration with a government official before they'll sell you a SIM card. Some even require a local address.

The UK is the odd one out.
In Bolivia I had to spend several hours in the Bolivian Gov. telecoms office (but got a local SIM). In Thailand they need your finger prints of photo - you have to go to the network provider outlet (3rd party wont do) and have your photo or fingerprints taken (although in my experience it was fairly quick and painless once you get to one).

Reading the instructions about installing and operating it made it sound rather daunting, but reality of doing it was very straightforward.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 20 Oct 2021, 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.