Mike van Erp, great cyclist or grass?

LancsGirl

Re: Mike van Erp, great cyclist or grass?

Post by LancsGirl »

I passed some of your comments on to CyclingMikey, and he's just replied:

"Dear LancsGirl,

Thanks for you support. I'm afraid I don't have unlimited time, so I'll have to pass on the suggestion to spend more of it filming close passes and sending footage to the police. However, a wide variety of cameras are available, so perhaps some of the people in the forum might like to start doing that?

I did start writing out invitations for criticism, but decided that the cost of sending out all those invitations would be prohibitive. So I think I won't bother "inviting criticism" after all.

Lots of love, CyclingMikey".
PM999

Post by PM999 »

I was searching online today for any update to Mike van Erp's current court case where he ended up on the bonnet of a Range Rover https://tinyurl.com/mvfds8m8

While doing so, I discovered that a crowdfunding campaign set up to take legal action (seemingly on grounds of privacy) against him had garnered 2 supporters and the princely sum of £6
https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/stopcyclingmikey
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PM999 wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 1:20pm I was searching online today for any update to Mike van Erp's current court case where he ended up on the bonnet of a Range Rover https://tinyurl.com/mvfds8m8

While doing so, I discovered that a crowdfunding campaign set up to take legal action (seemingly on grounds of privacy) against him had garnered 2 supporters and the princely sum of £6
oh dear how sad never mind.jpg
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
MelW

Post by MelW »

Unfortunately and quite bizarrely the driver Paul Lyon-Maris who drove into CyclingMikey was yesterday acquitted by a jury at Southwark Crown Court of dangerous driving and common assault. However he was fined £146 for disregarding a keep left traffic sign which he had earlier admitted to.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ivers.html

https://road.cc/content/news/sir-ian-mc ... ult-296569

The jury verdict sends totally the wrong message to drivers who consider it acceptable to use their vehicles as weapons. Shocking.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The video of that incident:

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

MelW wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 5:42am Unfortunately and quite bizarrely the driver Paul Lyon-Maris who drove into CyclingMikey was yesterday acquitted by a jury at Southwark Crown Court of dangerous driving and common assault. However he was fined £146 for disregarding a keep left traffic sign which he had earlier admitted to.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ivers.html

https://road.cc/content/news/sir-ian-mc ... ult-296569

The jury verdict sends totally the wrong message to drivers who consider it acceptable to use their vehicles as weapons. Shocking.
The verdicts say that sufficient evidence of the offence that CM was trying to prevent had been gathered* and that everything post that failed to convince a Jury to convict on a different charge.

I've viewed the video and can see why that may be the case.

I have no issue with the detection & reporting, where I do have an issue is often what develops into a battle of wills with the repeating of "Go back". Overall, I fear that he does more harm than good - but it could be very different with a different approach.

There, I've said it.

*A guilty plea was entered aiui
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have to agree with Bonefish. You’ve recorded the law breaking by the motorist, so why make a big song and dance about it, by jumping out in front of him ( at the last minute) and trying to force him to go back, putting yourself in danger in the process. Just report it to the Police and let them do their job. But I suppose that doesn’t make such a good YouTube video.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

PM999 wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 1:20pm I was searching online today for any update to Mike van Erp's current court case where he ended up on the bonnet of a Range Rover https://tinyurl.com/mvfds8m8

In one of those strange coincidences, the author of the campaign, a "British Asian Entrepreneur Living in the UK" (Nottingham, to be precise), shares his name with this Nottingham-based businessman: Jail for tailgating driver who attacked cyclist after being asked 'have you just robbed a bank?'
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

DaveReading wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 8:08am

In one of those strange coincidences, the author of the campaign, a "British Asian Entrepreneur Living in the UK" (Nottingham, to be precise), shares his name with this Nottingham-based businessman: Jail for tailgating driver who attacked cyclist after being asked 'have you just robbed a bank?'
Well spotted, sir! If there's anything to be learnt from that imo it's that you never know the state of mind/ length of fuse of eg a driver in traffic so it's probably best to avoid interactions. This case seems to have involved a driver who was routinely driving when he should not have been on the road AND drawing attention by driving badly. Hence the apparent series of involvements with the police when duff details were allegedly given.

Re cycling mikey, I'd say "crass" rather than "grass." His recent case involves stacks of points I've made before. I think I can plot the progress to how he got where he is. Based on the vid, I'm surprised the case went as far as the Crown Court. (see bonefishblue's comment.) I'm way, way out-of-date but I can't see how this passed the CPS 'public interest' test. The learned friend representing the Crown must have felt let down by those giving them instruction. Overall, whatever else Mr Erp has achieved, I fancy he has damaged the general progress with enforcement based on camera submissions.
awavey

Post by awavey »

TrevA wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 12:14am I have to agree with Bonefish. You’ve recorded the law breaking by the motorist, so why make a big song and dance about it, by jumping out in front of him ( at the last minute) and trying to force him to go back, putting yourself in danger in the process. Just report it to the Police and let them do their job. But I suppose that doesn’t make such a good YouTube video.
except if it goes as the case with Gandalfs agent, thats a video you cant publish for 13months, and are the ones who do turn back then that interesting ? especially if its the nth time of exactly the same setup.

theres something like 330,000 hours of youtube videos uploaded per minute, thats a phenomenal amount of content, theres plenty more interesting & better youtubists, even just devoted to cycling as a topic.

whatever Mikeys approach is, and Im kind of agnostic on whether he should just video or confront these drivers in the way he does there, I dont think its got anything to do with making click bait youtube videos.

because its one of the weird things about the Youtube algorithm in that you cant just keep making the same old stuff all the time as your engagement indices will drop as people get bored with it, and they arent clicking the likes, or subscribing or commenting, and slowly your channel drops down the list of channels promoted, and as a commerical enterprise it kind of eats itself and you quickly get no traction on the content anymore. And thats before Youtube does the subscriber purge thing, sorry the anti fake account purge that just happens to take real subscribers off your channel with it because theyve not engaged enough with your channel lately.

Ive seen alot of new channels start up, who fail because they thought it was easy to publish a few videos and make it successful, and yet its actually quite hard to hit that consistency of views and engagement that youtube rewards.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Anyone who watches Mike Van Erp's videos knows that stopping traffic at this corner is something he does regularly. He doesn't 'jump' out in front of them. He stands on the corner and steps out when they go the wrong side of the island. Drivers know it's illegal and dangerous, and they do it, anyway.

This corner is a huge problem that way & heavily used by cyclists and motorcyclists who report frequent near misses with wrong-side traffic there.

To be honest, the blame belongs fully & squarely with the authorities involved who have not
-installed a permanent camera there
-redesigned the junction to prevent wrong-way driving.
-and/or provided police/safety officer enforcement
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 8:29am Anyone who watches Mike Van Erp's videos knows that stopping traffic at this corner is something he does regularly. He doesn't 'jump' out in front of them. He stands on the corner and steps out when they go the wrong side of the island. Drivers know it's illegal and dangerous, and they do it, anyway.

This corner is a huge problem that way & heavily used by cyclists and motorcyclists who report frequent near misses with wrong-side traffic there.

To be honest, the blame belongs fully & squarely with the authorities involved who have not
-installed a permanent camera there
-redesigned the junction to prevent wrong-way driving.
-and/or provided police/safety officer enforcement
It would be possible for anybody with the spare time to act as an intermittent camera filming offenders and then submitting their footage to the police. IMO it's going beyond that which seems to have led to the acquittal here.

I'd also suggest that a location like this is extremely difficult to enforce by standing a police officer there. In particular, I don't think it would be appropriate for a police officer there to stop an offender and then direct them to reverse.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 8:27am .......If we had enough policing he wouldn’t need to do it.
Nail,head,on!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 8:59am
It would be possible for anybody with the spare time to act as an intermittent camera filming offenders and then submitting their footage to the police. IMO it's going beyond that which seems to have led to the acquittal here.

I'd also suggest that a location like this is extremely difficult to enforce by standing a police officer there. In particular, I don't think it would be appropriate for a police officer there to stop an offender and then direct them to reverse.
That's fair enough. Although the police are aware of his activity on the corner there & chats with a patrolling officer occasionally feature in his videos. I'm not sure why they haven't advised him of this?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 9:04am
Paulatic wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 8:27am .......If we had enough policing he wouldn’t need to do it.
Nail,head,on!
I actually think that the best solution is to install a permanent camera, preferably with a sign warning drivers that there is camera enforcement. The police cannot be there all the time, even if that were the best use of police resources.