Mike van Erp, great cyclist or grass?

mattheus

Re: Mike van Erp, great cyclist or grass?

Post by mattheus »

jimster99 wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 10:06pm I've just discovered CyclingMikey, and at first I thought what he is doing is hilarious and I supported it. However, on further reflection and having watched quite a few of his videos, I think his overall effect on society is net negative.

The main problem as I see it is that the only purpose of his youtube channel is to humiliate, out of all proportion to the offences detected. I would guess some of his "victims" have likely suffered great embarrassment or perhaps even career damage etc.
Good.
the snail

Post by the snail »

mattheus wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 10:12am
jimster99 wrote: 2 Dec 2022, 10:06pm I've just discovered CyclingMikey, and at first I thought what he is doing is hilarious and I supported it. However, on further reflection and having watched quite a few of his videos, I think his overall effect on society is net negative.

The main problem as I see it is that the only purpose of his youtube channel is to humiliate, out of all proportion to the offences detected. I would guess some of his "victims" have likely suffered great embarrassment or perhaps even career damage etc.
Good.
I think the doctors who tried to make out it was desperately important for them to queue jump because, well, they're really important people were ribbed mercilessly by their colleagues. I'm not sure there was any lasting damage to their careers though.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

the snail wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 1:24pm
mattheus wrote: 5 Dec 2022, 10:12am

Good.
I think the doctors who tried to make out it was desperately important for them to queue jump because, well, they're really important people were ribbed mercilessly by their colleagues. I'm not sure there was any lasting damage to their careers though.
Maybe they were this type of doctor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ4U5tQ ... medyGreats
"Look, I'm a doctor. I'm a doctor and I want my sausages".
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I was originally supportive of his efforts.
No sane person can argue that reducing distracted road users is a good thing. I don't think anyone disagrees that the police do a poor job of enforcing phone laws either.
Then I reached out to him. I was concerned that filming with a headcam, placing himself in the offside blind spot, and standing in front of vehicles, were all risks in themselves.
His arrogance was astounding. It was basically 'I'm perfectly safe, and filming motorists at close quarters doesn't have any greater risk than doing it from the pavement'. He's very tetchy about criticism, even when constructive. He can be blatantly rude, making personal comments about people.
I found this attitude perplexing. Whenever I'm alongside a car, I'm acutely aware that they might do something silly...especially when I see them on their phone! His whole response seemed very blinkered...the same blinkered attitude that drives motorists to use phones at the wheel, because they feel they are above average drivers, and are safe. I've always believed it's the dangers you are blind to are the ones that will get you.
It would be interesting to do a study on drivers who have just had an encounter with him. My bet would be they are not reflecting wisely about road safety, but are in a red mist about the humiliation. Whether this is 'deserved' is largey irrelevant. He winds people up, and wound up people are liable to make mistakes. A fine in the mail two weeks later is no use when some enraged crackpot speeds off from an encounter and hurts someone.

Then of course there's the whole 'celebrity' of it. If he stood in a safe spot, took the footage and got people fined, fair enough. But adding the Jaws theme to his 'catches' just seems like his main priority is Youtube subscriptions, as much as road safety.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'd say he was wel intemtioned with noble aspirations...but seems to be going about things in a way that is deliberately provocative and inflammatory.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Do the police wind people up?

Is it likely that someone stopped by the police is going to reflect on road safety?

Or feel embarrassed and angry that they've been 'done'?

Based on what people post on other social media & gear head forums, most people just want to know know how to get out of getting points. A significant minority object to enforcement, responding rudely or blocking people who raise safety as an issue.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom