New derailleur

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GeneralSoulfly

New derailleur

Post by GeneralSoulfly »

Hi, I have 10 and 2 speed SRAM double tap flat bar shifters and derailleurs. The front derailleur hasn't been working properly for some time now and I want to get something to replace it. These are what I currently have: Image

I wanted to replace it with something decent like a 105 level but i'm not sure what to use as a replacement for this setup. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Eyebrox

Re: New derailleur

Post by Eyebrox »

Your existing derailleur will have a make and serial number on it. Use this as a starting point. Sometimes SRAM levers will be paired with SRAM derailleurs, other times the mech may be Shimano or Microshift. Compatibility can often be checked online but this can be more difficult where the shifter and mech brands are different. Post the details on here and someone will help. Also, please advise on fitting style - braze-on or clamp. How many teeth on each of the chainrings?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Are you sure it is the derailleur mechanism that is faulty? In my experience, unless the derailleur has been damaged directly it is far more likely to be a cable issue or a shifter issue bought on by poor cable maintenance.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

peetee wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 9:27am Are you sure it is the derailleur mechanism that is faulty? In my experience, unless the derailleur has been damaged directly it is far more likely to be a cable issue or a shifter issue bought on by poor cable maintenance.
I would concur. Most likely this is an issue of maintenance. I would not embark on changing parts before assessing the cable situation. Sometimes the derailleur needs slight tweaking. A visit to a bike shop for minor maintenance is likely to be cheaper than a visit for rescue when the bike is made unrideable.
pwa

Post by pwa »

For some reason I don't fully understand, front derailleurs continue working long after they start to look tired. I can't remember replacing one because it had actually stopped working. I have had some for a decade or more of all weather use, and they still haven't got to the point where a good clean and lube hasn't been enough to restore full function. The shifter on the bars is likely to be the thing that malfunctions first. But the prime culprit for gear malfunctions is usually the cable getting sticky.