Best bike GPS system for pre-planned tour around UK

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gcogger

Re: Best bike GPS system for pre-planned tour around UK

Post by gcogger »

Just some thoughts on the Garmins discussed above. I recently switched from an Edge Explore to a 1030 Plus, finding 2 major differences.

Battery life is massively better on the 1030 Plus, but can still last around 8 hours on the Explore. (I suspect the auto screen brightness on the 1030 makes a difference - on the Explore I needed the screen brightness quite high so I could read it in all situations). I'd expect that to drop if you use it to plan/replan routes, however. The Explore is also much slower at doing things like route calculation, but that may not matter to you.

The other big difference is how they handle off route excursions. The Edge Explore wants you to make a U-turn for ages, but will eventually try to route you back to the original route. The longer you are off course, however, the more it gets confused! I did a route a little while back where I took a different path than planned for a couple of miles, then rejoined the original route. A few miles later, I got to a T junction and the Garmin decided that the route went both left and right! (Luckily I was familiar with that part of the route, and knew where to go). It had some strange quirks for the next few miles before eventually settling down, although that all seemed to drain the battery quite a bit. I bought the 1030 Plus after that ride, and it seems to handle this sort of thing much better. So far it has always been able to sensibly tweak the route while making a detour, even if that detour ends up all over the place. It just does what I'd expect it to.

The Garmin Edge 530/830 have, I believe, much the same processing as the 1030 Plus, although rather less battery life (but still more than the Edge Explore). I can't be 100% sure of that, though. The main difference between those 2 is that the 530 uses buttons, whereas the 830 has a touch screen.

On the comments above about the original 1030, I've never seen anything on my 1030 Plus about the Virtual Partner (although I believe it does support that, whatever it is!) and the automatic climbing screen can be turned off.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

gcogger wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 9:24am The other big difference is how they handle off route excursions. The Edge Explore wants you to make a U-turn for ages, but will eventually try to route you back to the original route. The longer you are off course, however, the more it gets confused! I did a route a little while back where I took a different path than planned for a couple of miles, then rejoined the original route. A few miles later, I got to a T junction and the Garmin decided that the route went both left and right! (Luckily I was familiar with that part of the route, and knew where to go). It had some strange quirks for the next few miles before eventually settling down, although that all seemed to drain the battery quite a bit. I bought the 1030 Plus after that ride, and it seems to handle this sort of thing much better. So far it has always been able to sensibly tweak the route while making a detour, even if that detour ends up all over the place. It just does what I'd expect it to.
Like any mapping tool, they do need some "training" to get used to how they respond. Depends on the route loaded, the GPS unit and the settings within it as well as the actual firmware / programming on the device.

Lets says you have a route going A-B-C-D-E and at point B you decide to omit C and go D-E. Some will try and get you back to B, some will work out a route to the next "waypoint" of C, some will pick up that you're nearly at D and carry on from there. You need to check the re-direction options too because if the unit is set to always prefer off-road, it may try sending you off down bridleways, even if you've originally set it as a road route. Don't expect to buy one and just use it, it does need a few test rides to work out it's foibles. They're all different.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

gcogger wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 9:24amOn the comments above about the original 1030, I've never seen anything on my 1030 Plus about the Virtual Partner (although I believe it does support that, whatever it is!) and the automatic climbing screen can be turned off.
My 520 has a Virtual Partner. He's really annoying. He always gets to the pub before me but never gets the drinks in. :(
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:06am
gcogger wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 9:24amOn the comments above about the original 1030, I've never seen anything on my 1030 Plus about the Virtual Partner (although I believe it does support that, whatever it is!) and the automatic climbing screen can be turned off.
My 520 has a Virtual Partner. He's really annoying. He always gets to the pub before me but never gets the drinks in. :(
What exactly is this "virtual partner"? My 1030 has one but all it seems to be is a pop-up brief message after I've been on a route for a bit saying "virtual partner departed" (or something like that - long time since I've followed a route).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rareposter wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 9:09am The best resource on the net for independent reviews is DC Rainmaker:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
Thanks for the reminder. Excellent site.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gcogger wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 9:24am Just some thoughts on the Garmins discussed above. I recently switched from an Edge Explore to a 1030 Plus, finding 2 major differences.

Thankyou. Very interesting.

Jonathan
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

rareposter wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 9:47am
gcogger wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 9:24am The other big difference is how they handle off route excursions. The Edge Explore wants you to make a U-turn for ages, but will eventually try to route you back to the original route. The longer you are off course, however, the more it gets confused! I did a route a little while back where I took a different path than planned for a couple of miles, then rejoined the original route. A few miles later, I got to a T junction and the Garmin decided that the route went both left and right! (Luckily I was familiar with that part of the route, and knew where to go). It had some strange quirks for the next few miles before eventually settling down, although that all seemed to drain the battery quite a bit. I bought the 1030 Plus after that ride, and it seems to handle this sort of thing much better. So far it has always been able to sensibly tweak the route while making a detour, even if that detour ends up all over the place. It just does what I'd expect it to.
Like any mapping tool, they do need some "training" to get used to how they respond. Depends on the route loaded, the GPS unit and the settings within it as well as the actual firmware / programming on the device.

Lets says you have a route going A-B-C-D-E and at point B you decide to omit C and go D-E. Some will try and get you back to B, some will work out a route to the next "waypoint" of C, some will pick up that you're nearly at D and carry on from there. You need to check the re-direction options too because if the unit is set to always prefer off-road, it may try sending you off down bridleways, even if you've originally set it as a road route. Don't expect to buy one and just use it, it does need a few test rides to work out it's foibles. They're all different.
Why do you assume that I bought it and just used it, or that I hadn't done 'a few test rides'? I'd own the Edge Explore for a year when that issue happened, and had tried to improve it's behaviour when you go off route. Unfortunately it has minimal route recalculation options - you can tell it to favour roads, and avoid toll roads, ferries etc., but you don't have much control beyond that, other than simply turning off route recalculation.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

gcogger wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:53am
Why do you assume that I bought it and just used it, or that I hadn't done 'a few test rides'? I'd own the Edge Explore for a year when that issue happened, and had tried to improve it's behaviour when you go off route. Unfortunately it has minimal route recalculation options - you can tell it to favour roads, and avoid toll roads, ferries etc., but you don't have much control beyond that, other than simply turning off route recalculation.
Apologies, gcogger, that comment wasn't aimed at you, it was a more general one I always make about GPS units - plenty of people seem to assume that you can buy one, bung it on the bike and set off but I was picking up on your point about re-routing and expanding on it, not directing the comment TO you.

Sorry if it came across that way, my poor phrasing to blame.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Psamathe wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:12amWhat exactly is this "virtual partner"? My 1030 has one but all it seems to be is a pop-up brief message after I've been on a route for a bit saying "virtual partner departed" (or something like that - long time since I've followed a route).
It's a training thing, I think. The Garmin sends off a "virtual partner", travelling at 15mph (or whatever) along the same track you're following. The idea is that you race against them and try and get to the end of the track first. They're shown as a little icon on the screen. Not something I'm at all interested in but I just haven't bothered to turn it off!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

rareposter wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:02am
gcogger wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:53am
Apologies, gcogger, that comment wasn't aimed at you, it was a more general one I always make about GPS units - plenty of people seem to assume that you can buy one, bung it on the bike and set off but I was picking up on your point about re-routing and expanding on it, not directing the comment TO you.

Sorry if it came across that way, my poor phrasing to blame.
No problem - I'm under the weather, so I think I'm just being grumpy today :lol:
RevDonkBonkers

Post by RevDonkBonkers »

To everyone who has replied, it has been really useful, especially hearing first-hand experience from you all. The link to the dcrainmaker site as well as the link to the navigation gadget for LEJOG thread. Much appreciated.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Is the edge explore the best value bike GPS nav?

Thinking if getting one.

Does it record basic stuff like time riden, AVG speed etc?

Would a 530 be better but the screen is smaller?

Cheers James
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:11pm Is the edge explore the best value bike GPS nav?

Thinking if getting one.

For touring:

I'd start with the screen size and quality touch control. if that isn't adequate it's always going to be frustrating. And for many riders that may also affect the need for glasses etc.

Then decide if you want turn-by-turn navigation.

Jdsk wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 7:45pm I'm currently using (!) a Garmin Edge 1000. Very pleased with it, and the biggest single improvement would be a longer battery life. On long days I recharge it from the USB battery pack at lunchtime.

Then the Edge 1030 came out... with longer battery life.

But if I were buying now it would probably be an Edge Explore:
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/611996

That site allows you to compare models side by side.
Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jamesh wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:11pm Is the edge explore the best value bike GPS nav?

Thinking if getting one.

Cheers James
Providing you have a smart phone take a look at Lezyne Mega XL.
I’ve used one for years. Great battery life and a b£w screen easy to read without glasses for me.
It was always a bit quirky getting to learn how to use but a recent update to their Ally app has been superb. Uploading routes from eg CT is now very straightforward.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I really want something that will give me a route from A to B without having to stop and check maps / phone which on a longer fast ride takes up considerable time.

I don't want to be unloading routes etc either.

I don't mind touch screen or not, battery life is an issue though. Do they not dim or sleep between turns?