Best bike GPS system for pre-planned tour around UK

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pete75

Re: Best bike GPS system for pre-planned tour around UK

Post by pete75 »

A Garmin GPS and a Smartphone are the same thing, a computer running a navigation program. The only thing is a smart phone will do far more than a Garmin, has a much better screen, calculates routes more quickly and can have a longer battery life as well as costing a lot less and being at least as rugged. The phone I'm referring to is this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/DOOGEE-S86-Sma ... B08W2H58DN It has a massive 8500maH battery a good screen and as for ruggedness mine survived 6 hours in mud under a couple of metres of salt water. It costs £179 an dis worth getting just as a navigation device if you don't want it's other features. There's load of good, free navigation software available on Android with downloadable maps and the Doogee has at least 128gb of memory so you've room for many maps and apps.
The best software I've found is Tahuna GPS Tuner, a German product, it's free, no adverts and has downloadable maps for most of the world. It's almost the same as the software used on this well rated standalone nav unit https://bikepacking-adventures.com/en/t ... -4-review/ . I've tried both, side by side, and the Android version is actually better. There are other good nav apps on Android such as Osmand andCycle Streets. Google maps is also not bad for cycling and improving with every new version. My son used only Google maps on a ride from the UK to Stockholm and some of back country Sweden and reckoned it excellent.

If you do go down the smartphone route I'd recommend one of these aluminium holders not the plastic. It holds the phone firmly and I've used om motorbikes as well as bikes without any problems. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303040 ... 4668%21sea
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

I don't know how the Doogee phone would work, but one of the reasons I stopped using an old phone for navigation was that the touchscreen was a nightmare if there was any rain. The rain drops would effectively cause random clicks on the screen, and make it almost unusable until it was dry again. I think you can get waterproof cases that are supposed to allow using the touchscreen through them, but I don't know how well they work, or if they get rid of the 'phantom presses' issue.
I also found that the GPS didn't work as well as with a dedicated device, but it's not such a big deal. It just meant that I'd occasionally get late warnings of turnings if the GPS signal was patchy.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gcogger wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 8:38am I don't know how the Doogee phone would work, but one of the reasons I stopped using an old phone for navigation was that the touchscreen was a nightmare if there was any rain. The rain drops would effectively cause random clicks on the screen, and make it almost unusable until it was dry again. I think you can get waterproof cases that are supposed to allow using the touchscreen through them, but I don't know how well they work, or if they get rid of the 'phantom presses' issue.
I also found that the GPS didn't work as well as with a dedicated device, but it's not such a big deal. It just meant that I'd occasionally get late warnings of turnings if the GPS signal was patchy.
It seems to work ok with a wet screen. Modern phone GPS is excellent. The Doogee picks up GPS, Glonass, Beidou and Galileo signals. It's a fairly new model, introduced last year and designed for rugged, outdoor use being rated IP68 and IP69K. The 68 and 69k rating ratings measure how waterproof a device is in different ways, 68 for resistance to being submerged and 69k to withstanding high pressure water jets.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

pete75 wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 7:48pm The best software I've found is Tahuna GPS Tuner, a German product, it's free, no adverts and has downloadable maps for most of the world. It's almost the same as the software used on this well rated standalone nav unit https://bikepacking-adventures.com/en/t ... -4-review/ . I've tried both, side by side, and the Android version is actually better. There are other good nav apps on Android such as Osmand andCycle Streets. Google maps is also not bad for cycling and improving with every new version. My son used only Google maps on a ride from the UK to Stockholm and some of back country Sweden and reckoned it excellent.
I'm afraid Tahuna devices AND software are no longer available.
It's time to say goodbye!
After 6 years, we have to say thank you and goodbye for TAHUNA and its users!

Today the app has been removed from the Appstore and Google Play Store, but those users who downloaded and installed, they can still use the TAHUNA features.
Original text here.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Angstrom wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 11:47am
pete75 wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 7:48pm The best software I've found is Tahuna GPS Tuner, a German product, it's free, no adverts and has downloadable maps for most of the world. It's almost the same as the software used on this well rated standalone nav unit https://bikepacking-adventures.com/en/t ... -4-review/ . I've tried both, side by side, and the Android version is actually better. There are other good nav apps on Android such as Osmand andCycle Streets. Google maps is also not bad for cycling and improving with every new version. My son used only Google maps on a ride from the UK to Stockholm and some of back country Sweden and reckoned it excellent.
I'm afraid Tahuna devices AND software are no longer available.
It's time to say goodbye!
After 6 years, we have to say thank you and goodbye for TAHUNA and its users!

Today the app has been removed from the Appstore and Google Play Store, but those users who downloaded and installed, they can still use the TAHUNA features.
Original text here.
That's a shame because it's a good nav system, especially for free. Luckily I downloaded the apk so can install it on future phones.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

pete75 wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 1:38pm That's a shame because it's a good nav system, especially for free. Luckily I downloaded the apk so can install it on future phones.
Good for you.
Thanks anyway for your posts. It's a shame I just bought a Garmin 530 after years of procrastination and had I read you advice before, I might have got a rugged phone instead.
The 530 unit is good. But for the price of a full phone, the latter can offer so much more...
Garmin have taken years before getting their software stuff almost OK but now with the connectivity (Garmin Connect) I must admit I can use the device with other software for the most part.
I still don't understand why Garmin Connect software on the mobile phone (and on-line) is such a bloatware with so many useless things (health stuff, bages, contacts etc.), useful stuff hidden away (planned trips), yet so many obvious things missing. Like being able to configure the device with the help of a full UI on line or in App then send the configuration to the device.
I wish for a stripped down version where I can manage the device, the files stored on the Cloud and on the device, be they activities (past trips) or planned trips.
Oh I must be alone not caring about PRs, badges, social stuff etc.... :roll:
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Angstrom wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 2:15pmGarmin have taken years before getting their software stuff almost OK but now with the connectivity (Garmin Connect) I must admit I can use the device with other software for the most part.
I still don't understand why Garmin Connect software on the mobile phone (and on-line) is such a bloatware with so many useless things (health stuff, bages, contacts etc.), useful stuff hidden away (planned trips), yet so many obvious things missing. Like being able to configure the device with the help of a full UI on line or in App then send the configuration to the device.
Did you see the discussion about using mass storage mode and dragging or copying files with no special software needed?
viewtopic.php?p=1698887#p1698887

Thanks

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Garmin have just released their latest GPS, the 1040 Solar which has (as the name suggests) solar recharging capability:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/06/gar ... eview.html
Angstrom wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 2:15pm
Oh no-one is after helping you for free! They want / need to "build a community" and "engage" cos that way they can then package stuff up and charge a subscription for it. Plus the data itself can be quite lucrative.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Angstrom wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 2:15pm[snip]
I still don't understand why Garmin Connect software on the mobile phone (and on-line) is such a bloatware with so many useless things (health stuff, bages, contacts etc.), useful stuff hidden away (planned trips), yet so many obvious things missing. Like being able to configure the device with the help of a full UI on line or in App then send the configuration to the device.[snip]

There is a software truism something like,
"A end user only makes use of 5% of the features of a device,
unfortunately each user uses a different 5%"

The new 1040 is out, it seems to address some of your issues.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rareposter wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 3:33pm Garmin have just released their latest GPS, the 1040 Solar which has (as the name suggests) solar recharging capability:

Fascinating.

Thankyou

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rareposter wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 3:33pm Garmin have just released their latest GPS, the 1040 Solar which has (as the name suggests) solar recharging capability:

I tour with a dynamo hub/USB charger and a USB battery pack. The battery life of my current Edge 1000 is a bit less than a long touring day, but newer models last longer.

The solar charging of that 1040 Solar is impressive, but I don't think that it would change what I have to carry. So the extra cost would bring little or no benefit.

Jonathan
FixedWheel

Post by FixedWheel »

I have cycled across Europe a few times only using an Android smartphone and Google maps. No issues whatsoever. Plus, you don't have to carry any extra equipment, which means less weight.
zenitb

Probably Smartphone

Post by zenitb »

Although I have a Garmin Edge Touring its really better for day rides. I tried plugging it into my B+M luxus-U dynohub setup to try and charge it as I went along and it just assumed it was plugged into a PC, bombed out of the route I was on..and reverted to USB charging mode..the only info it displays then is how charged it is:-( So if you are thinking of charging a Garmin as you go along check it's going to work first - mine doesnt

By contrast my ancient Galaxy S5 smartphone (in aeroplane mode but running Orux maps navigation app and GPS) charges fine as I cycle along...gaining 50% charge in two hours fastish cycling.
Orux Maps on my Android phone.
Orux Maps on my Android phone.
I really feel the Garmin range, for all they say, is more targeted at roadies rather than tourists, who seem to be an afterthought.. They tie you to charging it every evening (e.g. with a battery brick). That said if you want fast turn by turn navigation that works in bright sunlight it is the better option.

Do you need that for your kind of touring though? Rather than a "postbox slit" view of just the next turn ahead isnt it better to stop the bike for a bit..look at all the options, cultural sites, cafes etc and the plan the next hour or so? As you can see above the phone shows the planned route...and where you are now....but doesn't force you to stick to it.

I suppose both smartphone AND Garmin gives you the best of both worlds..but the garmin will need some sort of nightly charge.
Jdsk

Re: Probably Smartphone

Post by Jdsk »

zenitb wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 3:13pm Although I have a Garmin Edge Touring its really better for day rides. I tried plugging it into my B+M luxus-U dynohub setup to try and charge it as I went along and it just assumed it was plugged into a PC, bombed out of the route I was on..and reverted to USB charging mode..the only info it displays then is how charged it is:-( So if you are thinking of charging a Garmin as you go along check it's going to work first - mine doesnt
I didn't know this before I bought my Edge 1000. I now charge the USB battery pack from the dynamo. This works fine.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Re: Probably Smartphone

Post by Jdsk »

zenitb wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 3:13pmDo you need that for your kind of touring though? Rather than a "postbox slit" view of just the next turn ahead isnt it better to stop the bike for a bit..look at all the options, cultural sites, cafes etc and the plan the next hour or so? As you can see above the phone shows the planned route...and where you are now....but doesn't force you to stick to it.
I definitely want the option of turn-by-turn navigation for touring. Sometimes the stops can be delightful, but often I don't want to have to check anything at every junction.

Jonathan