Best bike GPS system for pre-planned tour around UK

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Best bike GPS system for pre-planned tour around UK

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 10 May 2022, 9:10am I really want something that will give me a route from A to B without having to stop and check maps / phone which on a longer fast ride takes up considerable time.
Just about everything being discussed here will show you a route. Turn-by-turn navigation is a bit more than that, and I find it very helpful in avoiding those checks and delays.

"Give me a route" is complex... there are several different ways of getting routes that you want: creating them within the device, creating them yourself on a computer, importing someone else's. I use all of those at different times. Just about everything being discussed here will support all of those.
Jamesh wrote: 10 May 2022, 9:10amI don't want to be unloading routes etc either.
I haven't heard that described as a problem in practice.
Jamesh wrote: 10 May 2022, 9:10amI don't mind touch screen or not, battery life is an issue though. Do they not dim or sleep between turns?
They have lots of tricks to extend battery life, and it's worth working through a fair number of settings to find what's right for you.

I mentioned this with the Edge 1000 because it wouldn't always last a long touring day. but that was an early all-singing all-dancing model, and the ones that i would look at now (upthread) are better.

There are also strongly held opinions on removable and non-removable batteries.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I measure battery life in days. rather than hours with the Lezyne. Recently did three days and still another day left in it when I got home.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Paulatic wrote: 9 May 2022, 11:02pm
Jamesh wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:11pm Is the edge explore the best value bike GPS nav?

Thinking if getting one.

Does it record basic stuff like time riden, AVG speed etc?

Would a 530 be better but the screen is smaller?

Cheers James
Providing you have a smart phone take a look at Lezyne Mega XL.
I’ve used one for years. Great battery life and a b£w screen easy to read without glasses for me.
It was always a bit quirky getting to learn how to use but a recent update to their Ally app has been superb. Uploading routes from eg CT is now very straightforward.
Thanks for that recommendation.

Why do you say "Provided you have a smart phone..."?

I read this review:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/lez ... er-review/

And couldn't really see anything that made a smart phone essential in order to use the Lezyne Mega XL

My common usage pattern would be to create on route on a computer at home, via cycle.travel/cyclestreets/whatever, save as a GPX, then upload to target device, in this scenario the Lexyne Mega XL you recommend. Would I need the smartphone for that?

To be clear, I do have a smartphone (iPhone 7), but whenever I've used it for cycling navigation, the battery life plummets.

Thanks.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

LancsGirl wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:06am
My common usage pattern would be to create on route on a computer at home, via cycle.travel/cyclestreets/whatever, save as a GPX, then upload to target device, in this scenario the Lexyne Mega XL you recommend. Would I need the smartphone for that?

To be clear, I do have a smartphone (iPhone 7), but whenever I've used it for cycling navigation, the battery life plummets.

Thanks.
You're not using the smartphone for nav, you're using the computing power and connectivity of the phone (which is vastly superior to even the best GPS unit) to do the thinking and then just transfer the route across (via Bluetooth) to the GPS. The GPS then does the nav; the phone can be turned off / put on airplane mode / left at home and it won't affect the nav at all.

No different to plotting a route on a laptop and then uploading it really but it just gives you the freedom to do that anywhere you want. Handy for mid-ride re-routes in particular.

The initial set-up relies on using the companion app as well. Not dissimilar to setting up a Fitbit or other smartwatch if you've ever used one of those? If you remember setting up the old basic handlebar computers running off a front wheel sensor and how clunky a lot of that was to programme date, time, wheel size etc on a tiny unit with only 2 buttons...? Using a phone app does away with all that, it's far simpler and quicker on a big touchscreen.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 9 May 2022, 11:02pm Providing you have a smart phone take a look at Lezyne Mega XL.
I’ve used one for years. Great battery life and a b£w screen easy to read without glasses for me.
It was always a bit quirky getting to learn how to use but a recent update to their Ally app has been superb. Uploading routes from eg CT is now very straightforward.

I read this review:

And couldn't really see anything that made a smart phone essential in order to use the Lezyne Mega XL

Same thought. Lezyne's product page emphasises the 'phone app:
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/gps ... ent=megaxl

But is it essential for configuring the device?

And can routes be uploaded from a computer without a 'phone with the app?

Thanks

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed post.
Last edited by Jdsk on 21 May 2022, 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

rareposter wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:19am

Thanks.
You're not using the smartphone for nav, you're using the computing power and connectivity of the phone (which is vastly superior to even the best GPS unit) to do the thinking and then just transfer the route across (via Bluetooth) to the GPS. The GPS then does the nav; the phone can be turned off / put on airplane mode / left at home and it won't affect the nav at all.

No different to plotting a route on a laptop and then uploading it really but it just gives you the freedom to do that anywhere you want. Handy for mid-ride re-routes in particular.

The initial set-up relies on using the companion app as well. Not dissimilar to setting up a Fitbit or other smartwatch if you've ever used one of those? If you remember setting up the old basic handlebar computers running off a front wheel sensor and how clunky a lot of that was to programme date, time, wheel size etc on a tiny unit with only 2 buttons...? Using a phone app does away with all that, it's far simpler and quicker on a big touchscreen.
Many thanks. I read another review...

https://road.cc/content/review/251364-l ... s-computer

I would, probably, always have my phone with me, for emergencies. But if it can be put in airplane mode and the Lezyne still work then all is good.

One more question, if you don't mind. Assuming I've loaded the maps for the area I'm in, onto the Lezyne, it still won't generate a route for me on the device. Is that correct? That's what the app is for? I'm thinking of a "I've got to get home now but I don't know where I am" scenario. That's where I'd have to use the smartphone app and transfer it across, yes?
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:21am
Paulatic wrote: 9 May 2022, 11:02pm Providing you have a smart phone take a look at Lezyne Mega XL.

I read this review:

Same thought. Lezyne's product page emphasises the 'phone app:
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/gps ... ent=megaxl

But is it essential for configuring the device?

And can routes be uploaded from a computer without a 'phone with the app?

Thanks

Jonathan
I think so. This writer...

https://road.cc/content/review/251364-l ... s-computer

...mentions creating routes with RideWithGPS and transferring it across.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

LancsGirl wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:36am
One more question, if you don't mind. Assuming I've loaded the maps for the area I'm in, onto the Lezyne, it still won't generate a route for me on the device. Is that correct? That's what the app is for? I'm thinking of a "I've got to get home now but I don't know where I am" scenario. That's where I'd have to use the smartphone app and transfer it across, yes?
Most units will do a "get me back to the start" without actually plotting a route. Assuming you started your unit at / near home or the car or your weekend accommodation* you can usually just tell it to route you back to the start via most direct / back the way you came / quietest etc.

*delete as applicable

Or yes, you could use the map function on the phone to work out where you are and where you started, plot a route in RwGPS and transfer it over.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The review, two years old, which mentions BLE lag can now IME be totally ignored. Firmware updates and a very recent app update has dismissed any criticism there.
It does come with a lead for a computer connection, I’ve used for Firmware updates, and also to put map areas onto the device. I have in the past used their web navigation route making page ( used to give different results to the app route maker but I’ve not used it for a couple of years) and sent a route to the device. The app makes everything quick and easy so haven’t used the computer for some while. All saved routes can sit on their server and also your phone. I make sure I’ve downloaded any saved routes onto the phone if I’m going away from home. Just in case there’s no signal or wifi.
As @rareposter states you don’t need the phone for the device to work I too often have it in airplane mode. It needs the phone for the Tracker application. I’ve tried it but it does use some phone battery Mrs P keeps her eye on me using'Find my phone' :)

E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Thinking of getting the edge explore touring which s/h looks gvm.

I don't need HR or cadance stuff.

What do you think?

Cheers James
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 3:57pm Thinking of getting the edge explore touring which s/h looks gvm.
Which model is that? The Garmin Edge Touring?

Thanks

Jonathan
toontra

Post by toontra »

Here's what works for me when touring:

Plan routes on RidewithGPS
Rides are synced automatically to my Wahoo Bolt 2
Choose what I want to see on the Bolt via the Elemnt app - usually map page with elevation profile and stats page
Choose the day's route (from phone app or Bolt) and set off
If I somehow get lost or confused (difficult to do with the Bolt's sound/LED alerts) get out the phone & check

I'm getting up to 15 hours mapping on the Bolt with HR and power meters connected.

I've used this system for years (previously original Bolt) and toured in many continents without issue.

I won't try and persuade you (or anyone else) to go for the Bolt - just saying what works for me.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Jamesh wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 3:57pm Thinking of getting the edge explore touring which s/h looks gvm.

What do you think?

Cheers James
Do you mean the Edge Touring (which is the older model with two buttons on the lower front of the unit) or the Edge Explore (which is the newer version of the Touring, that has two buttons on the bottom edge of it)? That's the easy way of telling them apart!

I've had both - as with most Garmins they "die" by simply taking forever to acquire satellites and the battery life falls off a cliff.
The new Explore is pretty good for the basics - there are units out there with far longer battery life though.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

What do you think?

Cheers James
I think https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154775010895 ... media=COPY could save you money and Garmin grief.

E2E info