Djokovic Yes Or No - Will Be, Not Should Be?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Djokovic Will be deported?

Poll ended at 10 Jan 2022, 6:27pm

Yes Djokovic Will be deported.
45%
No Djokovic Will Not be deported.
55%

Total votes: 11

horizon

Re: Djokovic Yes Or No - Will Be, Not Should Be?

Post by horizon »

al_yrpal wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 1:07pm Watching BBC News, I despair... Headline News, what a joke?

Al
Be grateful that it wasn't Strictly Come Dancing (or as the breathless BBC news presenters call it, "Strickly", without the "Come Dancing").
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Deportation is too good for him.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

No vacc there's a Joke avic somewhere there.....

The rich get richer whilst their wealth screams obscenities in the face of the rest of us... ....meanwhile his "fans" worship him.

Dear me how low humanity has sunk......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 4:03pm ...The rich get richer whilst their wealth screams obscenities in the face of the rest of us... ....meanwhile his "fans" worship him.
(Off-topic) have you watched the film "Don't Look-Up"? A fun "poke" at a lot of things and whilst primarily having a dig at political response to climate change, for me it was more having a dig at the mad billionaires from tech world (the social media/space cowboys) and how their money and connections gets them whatever daft whim the feel them want at that moment.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 4:03pm No vacc there's a Joke avic somewhere there.....

The rich get richer whilst their wealth screams obscenities in the face of the rest of us... ....meanwhile his "fans" worship him.

I think he's a genuinely 'unusual' character in many senses, but he's firmly convinced that his choices have helped him be as successful as he is. I do know he's a substantial donor to child and healthcare causes in Serbia.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 5:17pm
reohn2 wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 4:03pm No vacc there's a Joke avic somewhere there.....

I think he's a genuinely 'unusual' character in many senses, but he's firmly convinced that his choices have helped him be as successful as he is. I do know he's a substantial donor to child and healthcare causes in Serbia.
He's not all bad then :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 4:51pm
reohn2 wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 4:03pm ...The rich get richer whilst their wealth screams obscenities in the face of the rest of us... ....meanwhile his "fans" worship him.
(Off-topic) have you watched the film "Don't Look-Up"? A fun "poke" at a lot of things and whilst primarily having a dig at political response to climate change, for me it was more having a dig at the mad billionaires from tech world (the social media/space cowboys) and how their money and connections gets them whatever daft whim the feel them want at that moment.

Ian
Yes I watched it just befor Christmas,I mentioned it on a couple of other threads.Yes very funny and yet very poignant.
A masterpiece IMHO.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 7:40pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 5:17pm

He's not all bad then :wink:
Hard to like, mind. Very hard.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Very few people are *all* bad
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 4:03pm
BITD there was a thing called Lloyds Names whereby extremely rich individuals could place their wealth onto the Lloyds insurance market. The catch was that there was no limited liabilty i.e. all their wealth was at risk. Naturally the rewards were great and in any case no-one had ever lost money on Lloyds, your Rolls just got bigger. One year there was a great natural disaster (cannot remember which*) and suddenly all those Names' cash was at risk. Mentioned amongst those affected were a couple of tennis players. We used to play tennis (not a lot, I never really took to it) on the courts in the local park so I was astonished that tennis players could be so rich - just from playing tennis.

PS The Lloyds Names system was abolished soon after (or at least the unlimited liability bit) - the rich generally like risk-free accumulation of wealth.

* Checking on Wikipedia, it seems it was asbestosis.
Last edited by horizon on 10 Jan 2022, 11:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

horizon wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:31pm BITD there was a thing called Lloyds Names whereby extremely rich individuals could place their wealth onto the Lloyds insurance market. The catch was that there was no limited liabilty i.e. all their wealth was at risk. Naturally the rewards were great and in any case no-one had ever lost money on Lloyds, your Rolls just got bigger. One year there was a great natural disaster (cannot remember which) and suddenly all those Names' cash was at risk.
Asbestos causing mesothelioma?

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:36pm
horizon wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:31pm BITD there was a thing called Lloyds Names whereby extremely rich individuals could place their wealth onto the Lloyds insurance market. The catch was that there was no limited liabilty i.e. all their wealth was at risk. Naturally the rewards were great and in any case no-one had ever lost money on Lloyds, your Rolls just got bigger. One year there was a great natural disaster (cannot remember which) and suddenly all those Names' cash was at risk.
Asbestos causing mesothelioma?

Jonathan
Yes, and since many of these cases not only came up much later in the lives of those affected but also meant large pay-outs, no-one really knew just how much liability had been taken on - it was open-ended.

The only tennis player mentioned is Buster Mottram but I seem to remember others, better known in fact.

More here:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2000/ ... nancenews1
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Asbestosis scare! Scared the shoot out of the pink panther that they left the spun fibre business and wouldn't touch the stuff with a barge pole. In fact I know of a company taken over by the pink panther's parent company and they brought in an industrial deep clean company to remove all such fibre from the business premises. Cost a tidy sum too by all accounts. Plus they paid for the company being bought out to lay everyone off before they took over just so there was no possibilities of liability.

Asbestosis was a big liability indeed.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
horizon wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:38am
al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 10:11pm Can someone please tell me why the hell has this got any interest for us. The BBC is obsessed with sport, most of us are totally disinterested. Load of crap...

Al
Al: this really, really isn't about sport.
The BBC are obsessed with sport if you regard sport as football for two or three top teams, who seem to be playing every day of the week and the only people in football playing the game!
Second comes cricket.
A lot of this has got a lot to do with peoples obsession with a football team even though they live in a different country on the other side of the world.
Cricket, it's all about gambling, and that's on the other side of the world too.

Not the only things that BBC are obsessed with or or emphasising on because they are under some obligation etc.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just as I thought!
There was a mention of wrong Visa?
And I calculated then that this was on purpose

So today Djokovic has apologise on behalf of his administrative staff.

He admits breaking isolation rules, he described it as an error of judgement.
They ticked the wrong box, About his previous travel before coming to Australia.

Me being a bit of a cynic means that this was well calculated and they hoped it would go under the radar.

Considering his amount of money and status the sort of mistakes would never be made really.

Boot him out I say!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.