Djokovic Yes Or No - Will Be, Not Should Be?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Djokovic Will be deported?

Poll ended at 10 Jan 2022, 6:27pm

Yes Djokovic Will be deported.
45%
No Djokovic Will Not be deported.
55%

Total votes: 11

Tiberius

Re: Djokovic Yes Or No - Will Be, Not Should Be?

Post by Tiberius »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 10:11pm Can someone please tell me why the hell has this got any interest for us. The BBC is obsessed with sport, most of us are totally disinterested. Load of crap...

Al
If you are 'totally disinterested' why did you investigate the thread?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The BBC like all other media can spot a controversy when they see one. Anything which could go either way makes for the endless speculation which passes for news with the bonus that whichever way it does go will lead to more controversy and the "newsworthiness" is potentially endless with either footage of a deportation with accompanying demos, or him getting to play with the possibility of ... er .... demos. Endless scope for studio (or zoom) interviews with celebs and whatever the outcome, they'll still be milking it at the jewel in the BBC's sporting crown - Wimbledon; especially during breaks for rain.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Tiberius wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 8:19am
al_yrpal wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 10:11pm Can someone please tell me why the hell has this got any interest for us. The BBC is obsessed with sport, most of us are totally disinterested. Load of crap...

Al
I am not talking about the thread which I havent investigated, my beef is with the news media and with their preoccupation with this triviality. As for Wimbledon....ugh, the telly gets switched off for 2 weeks.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm with you on the tennis stuff - but problem is, this has repercussions way outside of sport. The whole sorry business could be meat and drink to the anti-vax brigade, with their campaigns of violence and intimidation. Which does interest me a lot - or to be more precise, worries me a lot. It is generally accepted that vaccinated people pose less risk to others than unvaccinated. That doesn't mean we should force vaccine on everyone - but I agree to certain rules being imposed on those who refuse for no good reason.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 8:17am So he's in, having won his appeal, because they didn't follow their own procedures.
Australian legal people on the radio this morning are now saying it's possible the Government will use it's executive powers to cancel his visa. The court apparently only found a failure of process (procedural error in visa cancellation). sounds like Gov. have the powers to cancel the visa anyway.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 9:44am
Tiberius wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 8:19am

Al
I am not talking about the thread which I havent investigated, my beef is with the news media and with their preoccupation with this triviality. As for Wimbledon....ugh, the telly gets switched off for 2 weeks.

Al
For me the significance is in the prominence an anti-vaxer has got and how he seems able to circumvent immigration requirements (when others, even Australian citizens) cannot. Not only is he an anti-vaxer but he seems to have behaved totally irresponsibly (and in a public manner) with regard to isolation with symptoms (day after being tested for infection he was close with others for a group photo). This sends a terrible message to others who endure constraints, often severe constraints.

I'm no tennis fan but my interest is in relation to pandemic measures and how wealthy celebrities seem exempt from rules the rest of us have to endure.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

If the quarantine hotel is as bad as he says his complaints are well justified.
At least his detention has publicised the conditions there that "ordinary" refugees have to suffer.
Novak Djokovic: refugees hope tennis star’s hotel detention will cast light on their ‘torture’
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ir-torture
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All they need to do, is deport him.
When that happens, he can fight for the right to enter OZ .................. like he should have done in the first place.

No sympathies for him in the slightest.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:35am All they need to do, is deport him.
When that happens, he can fight for the right to enter OZ .................. like he should have done in the first place.
They can't deport him he's won his appeal.
Very embarrassing for the Australian authorities :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

Hellhound wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:47am
Mick F wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:35am All they need to do, is deport him.
They can't deport him he's won his appeal.
Apparently they still can, it's being reported the minister has that option.
What a farce, it should have been determined before he got on the plane.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

TBF it had been determined by Tennis Oz and State of Victoria.

Until it hadn't.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Al
Al: this really, really isn't about sport.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Forgot to say

Novax Jokertwit

You couldn't make it up
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:30am If the quarantine hotel is as bad as he says his complaints are well justified.
At least his detention has publicised the conditions there that "ordinary" refugees have to suffer.
Novak Djokovic: refugees hope tennis star’s hotel detention will cast light on their ‘torture’
I suspect it's just not five star...

Having seen various people's reports the hotels are fine, they're not luxurious, but they are perfectly adequate space.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:44am
Mike Sales wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:30am If the quarantine hotel is as bad as he says his complaints are well justified.
I suspect it's just not five star...

Having seen various people's reports the hotels are fine, they're not luxurious, but they are perfectly adequate space.
Various reports on various hotels, or another report on this one?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?