SPDs = cold feet in winter?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: SPDs = cold feet in winter?

Post by Jdsk »

VinceLedge wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:53am When my feet get cold on the bike it is usually the toes that get cold first, I suspect due to cold air flow through the shoe, the cleats seem an unlikely source of much heat loss.
This came up recently in another thread. It could be caused by local cooling. But it could also be caused by the circulation being decreased in response to cold being sensed elsewhere and setting off the relevant neural reflex. That's a major part of thermoregulation in humans.

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I remove my shoes insole then use it as a template and cut out 3 or 4 pieces of tin-foil.I place the tin-foil between the insole and sole of my shoes.Done it for years,seems to work fine for me.At the very least it's cheap to try before buying anything else.
I use overshoes in very cold weather too.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
When I have got really cold and uncomfortable in the past.
That is I have no more clothing, I cannot change the temperature, and I've eaten or have plenty of food.
The only solution there is to work harder, very difficult when you don't feel very good but that's been my only solution in the past.
Cycling uphill will of course force you to work harder, thus produce more heat.
And exercise opens the arteries.
flat exposed courses are probably one of the worst things there.
Next to of course getting wet.
Water has a very high latent heat capacity, that's why it's used in heating and cooling systems.
Avoid this contamination like the plague.
Way back then it was very common to use plastic carrier bags over your feet with elastic bands secured around your ankles.
Looked a bit silly but it did the trick very very well.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I also suffer from cold toes, so, two pairs of thin socks rather than one thick, spd boots with no ventilation and ankle cover rather than shoes, thick neoprene overshoes and finally, those heat pad/pouches which activate in contact with air as soon as you take them out of the packet. I can only get them down the side of my ankles but that still works.
I must admit I haven't done it for the last two winters now that I have Fulgaz and a trainer bike setup in the garage. :oops: :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:06amAnd exercise opens the arteries.
Predominantly arterioles: really small, typically less than 300 µm. Arteries don't usually open and close as part of thermoregulation in humans.

Jonathan
mig

Post by mig »

definitely winter shoes a half size bigger than normal to allow flexing the feet and encouraging blood flow.

mudguard with flap on the front wheel too to reduce wet feet to a minimum.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:19am Hi,
If you insulate your lower legs your feet will stay warmer.
Windchill is always big killer, so ideally windproof insulating lower leg warmers.
Interesting.how's that work?
Am currently out in about 6 degrees with vented shoes, Lidl long thermal socks and 3/4 bibs, feel fine.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:56am
VinceLedge wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:53am When my feet get cold on the bike it is usually the toes that get cold first, I suspect due to cold air flow through the shoe, the cleats seem an unlikely source of much heat loss.
This came up recently in another thread. It could be caused by local cooling. But it could also be caused by the circulation being decreased in response to cold being sensed elsewhere and setting off the relevant neural reflex. That's a major part of thermoregulation in humans.

Jonathan
You mean the body concentrating on the core, being prepared to sacrifice the extremeties?
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jamesh wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 10:49pm
Most shoes I've tried 5-6 pairs have all got ventilation holes in the uppers great for the cold and rain not!!
I once tried (when I got my first pair of Shimano SPDs) to find out why that was. I never did find out - it remains a mystery to me that winter shoes should be open to the cold air and rain (there is also some ingress of cold and wet due to the construction of the cleat area but that is at least explicable).

The conclusion I came to was that cycle shoes are designed for a type of cycling that is essentially leisure or sports orientated: there is no notion that you might need or want to wear them in inclement weather, perhaps all day and that keeping your feet dry and warm is even necessary.

AFAIK, no-one wears overshoes (the proffered solution) in everyday life, you wear the shoes that are appropriate to the weather. There are indeed SPD boots as well, but this is IMV an extreme (and very expensive) alternative to ordinary weather-proof shoes.

My solution (as others have suggested) is Sealskinz and overshoes (plus I think a bit of walking, toe twiddling, cafe stops etc if very severe). But I still think this is a very strange thing to have to do. Not fit for purpose is the phrase that comes to mind.
Last edited by horizon on 10 Jan 2022, 2:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 2:02pm
Jdsk wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:56am
You mean the body concentrating on the core, being prepared to sacrifice the extremeties?
Yes. But sacrifice is a bit strong... it's part of normal physiology.

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

By the way, just to add, a good pair of SealSkinz and a pair of SPD-style overshoes could set you back about £70.00.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mig

Post by mig »

it seems that most bike shoes are made with cruising along the riviera or mounting a big ringed challenge on the Col De L'Iseran in July in mind.

then again most bikes are made to the same thinking.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 2:18pm By the way, just to add, a good pair of SealSkinz and a pair of SPD-style overshoes could set you back about £70.00.
I think Aldi have done waterproof socks in the recent past.
I have one or two pairs of sealskins socks but have used little, always been a bit dubious about the real world be benefits of the waterproofing. Perhaps cold shielding is their best use?
Sweep
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I do think that having big metal blocks attached to the soles of the shoes makes a difference. I notice this when I sometimes cycle in my wellies on top of spd pedals. Not for long rides, but just for short local trips where I need to have wellies and don't have room to pack another pair of shoes or it is inconvenient.

I can feel the cold spot of the pedals for sure.

Overshoes etc can help, but if it gets really cold I have cycled in hiking boots, even changing to flat pedals for this.
Never tried some of the spd winter type shoes/boots available. I do not live in an area that gets very cold for a long time.
freiston

Post by freiston »

horizon wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 2:12pm . . .AFAIK, no-one wears overshoes (the proffered solution) in everyday life, you wear the shoes that are appropriate to the weather. There are indeed SPD boots as well, but this is IMV an extreme (and very expensive) alternative to ordinary weather-proof shoes . . .
True, but most people isolate themselves from outdoor weather to a considerable extent - often even the short trip from motor vehicle to building (or vice versa) benefits from some shelter. Most "walkers" will use gaiters and/or overtrousers and most will know that in prolonged rain, without gaiters or overtrousers, shoes and boots will fill with water from the ankle.

EDIT: (I replied before finishing my post) - also, when walking, the foot movement/blood circulation and wind-chill are quite different to when on a bike.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)