SPDs = cold feet in winter?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Re: SPDs = cold feet in winter?

Post by horizon »

This is what I meant by "not fit for purpose". I had a pair of Lidl shoes once that didn't have this problem - the cleat is integrated into the sole. Back to Shimano - yes, I use gaffa tape but for a £60 pair of shoes?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 6:44pm This is what I meant by "not fit for purpose". I had a pair of Lidl shoes once that didn't have this problem - the cleat is integrated into the sole. Back to Shimano - yes, I use gaffa tape but for a £60 pair of shoes?
not sure what you mean by the £60 pair of shoes thing horizon.
If the gaffa tape works what's the problem?
Sweep
jb

Post by jb »

Shamano used to supply a sticker to place across the plate so I guess any decent tape will do. The insole will protect it.
Just replace it every year.
Cheers
J Bro
horizon

Post by horizon »

jb wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 7:30pm Shamano used to supply a sticker to place across the plate so I guess any decent tape will do. The insole will protect it.
Just replace it every year.
Yes they do, but it's not much more than a price label and not as good as a few yards of gaffa tape. :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

Sweep wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 6:46pm
horizon wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 6:44pm This is what I meant by "not fit for purpose". I had a pair of Lidl shoes once that didn't have this problem - the cleat is integrated into the sole. Back to Shimano - yes, I use gaffa tape but for a £60 pair of shoes?
not sure what you mean by the £60 pair of shoes thing horizon.
If the gaffa tape works what's the problem?
The shoes are worth £60 IMV (and it isn't a lot to pay for good shoes) but you shouldn't really have to be slapping gaffa tape on to make them fit for purpose (IMV).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Back in the late early eighties i had a pair of Duegi overshoes that came up to the knee and always had toasty feet, they were made from a foam backed vinyl which was pretty impervious to wet and certainly kept the wind out. Over the intervening years (the Duegi's died from toe clip rub after several winters) i've tried just about everything on the market (or not) from carrier bags to pricey winter boots but regardless of pedal type i still suffer with cold feet. For me, i find a bit of walking does help warm things back up and spats rather than tight neoprene offer a bit more defence.

Currently i have two pairs of Specialized Defroster winter boots, one SPD the other 3 bolt. The 2 bolt pair are warmer tho, comstruction of the upper is the same, various flaps/covers and Boa adjustment but the 3 bolt pair do have a sort of sole vent which is probably because they share the same sole unit as some of the summer shoes. I've just looked and there is no through holes but maybe just the lack of material ahead of the cleat is enough to cool things - mayhap i'll try some duct tape over the holes see if it makes any difference :D

Regarding sizing - just like decent walking boots, good winter cycling boots are sized to accomodate thicker socks although i must admit that it would have to be sub zero before i move to more than 'summer' short socks :lol:

Maybe step in pedal systems do contribute to cold feet - i seem to recal various attempts back in toe clip days to keep the wind and wet off our feet using a variety of enclosed plastic over toe clip set ups which may or may not have worked but i think also, pareticularly if not using cleats, your feet tend to move about more with T/C's so encouraging better blood flow.

I'm generally more liberal with foot temperature than hand or head which has led to a few comedy dismounts with numb feet over the years! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
dragonrider

Post by dragonrider »

Search the internet for “My Coal” foot warmers. Use between 2 pairs of socks. The chemical pads give off enough heat to last about 5 hours.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

My (old) Shimano SPD winter/MTB boots DEFINITELY have a fixed sole over the top of the bit of metal the cleat bolts into....that bit of metal slides back and forth in a void between different bits of the fixed sole construction.....then they have a removable insole. (which I have replaced with a leather insole, but thats not important.)
On the minus side, this means that if I ever let the cleat bolts rust in place in their bit of metal, then a rather expensive pair of boots are less than useful.
On the plus side, I don't get cold feet in them.
Bathroom silicone sealer is worth a try to block the cleat slots on cycling shoes where the slot goes straight through to where your foot/insole is.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Colin: I think I followed up your SPD boots from a previous post. They looked great but were out of my price range. I take your point about the cleats and have reconciled myself to that - it only leaves the problem of the mesh top on the ordinary shoes!
zenitb

Larger size SPD boots for winter

Post by zenitb »

mig wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 1:41pm definitely winter shoes a half size bigger than normal to allow flexing the feet and encouraging blood flow.

mudguard with flap on the front wheel too to reduce wet feet to a minimum.
TOTALLY agree here. I use SPD size 44 in summer and 45 size SPD winter boots in winter (like foxyrider I have Specialized Defrosters...3 pairs over the years in fact). I then have room for two pairs of socks including thick bridgedale walking socks. Mudguards and mudflap natch. 6 years all year commuting with dry warm feet.

Treat yourself to some warm winter boots in a larger size + thick walking socks. ..job done.

[ All my Specialized Defroster models shown here http://zenit-b.blogspot.com/2017/09/cyc ... s.html?m=1 ]
Last edited by zenitb on 13 Jan 2022, 6:37pm, edited 3 times in total.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

NickJP wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 1:22am I have a pair of Shimano SPD winter boots that I use when the temperatures drop below freezing. They have a fleece lining on both the insole and upper, a neoprene collar that comes up above the ankle, and do a good job of keeping my feet warm in sub-zero (Celcius) temperatures. I bought them several years ago, but I think they're still available: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... MW500.html.

I believe they also make pretty much the same shoe but with a road sole for three-bolt cleats.

Another way to help prevent your hands and feet getting cold in winter is to have good head covering. The brain considers itself the most important organ in the body, and if it thinks it's getting cold, it will decrese peripheral circulation so that it can do a better job of keeping itself warm, which will lead to hands and feet getting cold.
Fair point nick...I see so many people trying to cycle is summer gear over winter. In frosty weather I can get a numb forehead/headache so here is my gaffa solution plus Abus waterproof cover over the top. I have one helmet permenently setup like this now with a new ungaffered one for summer.. this way i dont have to keep taking the gaffa on and off.
Attachments
Waterproof cover
Waterproof cover
my inner gaffa !!
my inner gaffa !!
Last edited by zenitb on 13 Jan 2022, 10:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Thermal cameras can be hired quite easily and for not too much money. They're typically used for checking heat loss in buildings. It should be easy to use to check whether there is indeed much heat loss through the cleat.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 10:23am Thermal cameras can be hired quite easily and for not too much money. They're typically used for checking heat loss in buildings. It should be easy to use to check whether there is indeed much heat loss through the cleat.
Yes: do the experiment. Always good advice. : - )

And many cheap multimeters now come with temperature measurement, with the sensor on the end of a very thin wire.

As upthread: for those of us with two feet it's simple to control for a whole load of confounders including air temperature and wind speed when studying this.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 10:23am Thermal cameras can be hired quite easily and for not too much money. They're typically used for checking heat loss in buildings. It should be easy to use to check whether there is indeed much heat loss through the cleat.
That's an interesting idea (I think we had a freebie done of our house a few years ago!)

But what would it show? Probably only radiant heat loss? I believe wind chill is the biggest effect when cycling.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I rode with Bar Mitts today for the first time. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1 They were great. Worked very very well. Started off at 4deg, it was up to 8deg by lunchtime. I just wore regular summer fingerless mitts on my hands and never had even a hint of cold fingers.

OTOH my toes did get very cold after about 2 hours. I'd forgotten to put overshoes on over my boots. All of which suggests that wind chill is the most significant problem and that it may be a good idea to try toe covers/mitts to keep the air flow off your shoes. A lot cheaper and less bother to put on than full overshoes.