SPDs = cold feet in winter?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Boring_Username

SPDs = cold feet in winter?

Post by Boring_Username »

I have used SPDs for many years and am a great fan.

However, I also suffer from cold feet in winter. I have tried many solutions - mountaineering socks, winter shoes, overshoes, thermal insoles, etc. All help, but none really seems to hit the nail on the head.

I can't get the idea out of my head that putting your cold-vulnerable foot 3mm from a cold metal plate which attaches to your cold metal SPD cleats and your cold SPD metal pedals and your cold metal bike, probably doesn't help.

So I'm thinking - could I break the chain - e.g. with plastic SPD cleats (yes I would be happy to change them once every few weeks) - and address the cold feet problem at that end?
jb

Re: SPDs = cold feet in winter?

Post by jb »

The heat transfer to the pedal can only be via two small points of contact so I wouldn't think it would be a big heat sink. Have you tried fleece lined overshoes? or shoes with more room in them? tight shoes squash out all the insulation pockets in whatever socks you have on.
Cheers
J Bro
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Overshoes is what works best for me.

Most shoes I've tried 5-6 pairs have all got ventilation holes in the uppers great for the cold and rain not!!

Cheers James
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Can you actually get plastic SPD cleats? I’ve never seen any for sale. You can get plastic SPD-SL cleats but that’s a completely different pedal system.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
freiston

Post by freiston »

I've never knowingly experienced heat loss through the cleat. For one, the insulation that I get from the insole and the surrounding sole structure is probably more than from anywhere else on the shoe. The backing plate that the cleat screws into is well insulated from my foot via the insole. I did pull the insoles out and covered the area where the plate lies with duck tape, after an incident of water ingress there.

My experience with SPD cycling shoes is limited - although I've used them for years, I'm only on my second pair of shoes (I have a pair of winter boots too). My shoes are very well ventilated with mesh panels in the uppers and this can be rather cooling. When I wear my Eager spats (waterproof nylon that cover the shoe and leg up to just below the knee), I notice that my feet get considerably warmer and so I suppose it is the wind-chill that contributes most to heat loss.

I don't particularly suffer from cold feet (and so don't often wear my winter boots primarily for warmth) but when there's a threat of rain and/or plenty of surface water and muck about, I often wear the spats - as well as keeping my feet warm, they also keep my shoes and lower legs from getting mucky and wet.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

If you have a pair of basic flat pedals with rubber grips, you could tryusing them with ordinary footwear on a cold day and see if they make any difference versus SPDs. I suspect they will not.

I would suggest trying looser but unventilated shoes, may be 2 pairs of thin wool socks, hiking boots, chemical foot warmers, insulated overshoes instead. I have tried them all and still get cold feet if the temperature is below 8 deg C.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you insulate your lower legs your feet will stay warmer.
Windchill is always big killer, so ideally windproof insulating lower leg warmers.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

As above,
keeping the leg warm up to the knee was my winter saviour. I do this by wearing walking gators on top of my neoprene overshoes, these go up to just below the knee and presumably by stopping wind chill they keep my whole lower leg + my feet warm.

I also wear the same socks and shoes as I do in the summer, I also have my laces less tight, which feels a little odd but that helps with warmth too. as others have said, more socks don't help one little bit

I did modify the walking gators by extending them so as they cover all of the foot (a bit like a yeti gator) ( i will try and do a pic the morrow)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I use waterproof socks (sealskinz, others are available).

They're normally good even enough without overshoes, but if sub zero, overshoes as well does the trick.

Waterproof socks are much better than normal thick socks because the waterproof membrane is also windproof.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:19am Hi,
Windchill is always big killer, so ideally windproof insulating lower leg warmers.
I have been given some 3/4 length thermal tights I cannot see the point of them. First class tacket to cold feet imho!
rjb

Post by rjb »

I keep my shoes in the airing cupboard so are nice and warm when I put them on. Gloves too and wooly hat. :wink:
Marginal gains but it all adds up.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Yup, cleats = cold feet, especially for long legged individuals such as myself but only really when 'feet forward' on a recumbent and at temperatures below 0°C.

As I've suggested on previous threads there is one sure fire solution costing <£1 per ride; activated charcoal thermal insoles that warm the critical cleat area.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HANDS-Foot-War ... th=1&psc=1
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Pebble wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:46am As above,
keeping the leg warm up to the knee was my winter saviour. I do this by wearing walking gators on top of my neoprene overshoes, these go up to just below the knee and presumably by stopping wind chill they keep my whole lower leg + my feet warm.

I also wear the same socks and shoes as I do in the summer, I also have my laces less tight, which feels a little odd but that helps with warmth too. as others have said, more socks don't help one little bit

I did modify the walking gators by extending them so as they cover all of the foot (a bit like a yeti gator) ( i will try and do a pic the morrow)
Exactly what Ee ^ said.
This also works for hands too.
If you have cold hands then think about keeping your arms better covered.
I am stuck with wearing one particular type of glove after nerve damage to my hands which lasted well I'll probably still have muscle loss even after over two years.
If my wrists or there is a gap between the gloves and the cuff of your shirt, you need to protect this.
Arm lengths are different so anybody with long arms might have similar problem to me.
I have taken to use short lengths say about five or 6 inches of tubular bandage the ones that you would normally fit on your lower leg or wrist et cetera, that go under the cuffs of my shirt and go right down to my gloves.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Jamesh wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 8:33am
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:19am Hi,
I have been given some 3/4 length thermal tights I cannot see the point of them. First class tacket to cold feet imho!
I'm unusual in the fact that I have actually warm feet and normally warm hands.
I can still get away with wearing shorts at 3° C.
so I have one pair of three-quarter shorts, I think I've worn them three times in five years.
My knees are normally the first thing that would feel the cold, like going downhill just above freezing and my knees will complain but only on the first hill.
Although I have circulation problem in one of my lower legs I find that the solution to feet or toes getting cold is simply to wear windproof shoe covers.

It cannot be overstated that –
Loose not tight shoes.
So don't overdo it with socks being too thick.
Shoe covers.
Make sure your shoes are warm before you leave.
Covering your limbs well and making sure there are no drafts.

Everybody has a limit to when they start feeling cold, so even I eventually start to suffer.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

When my feet get cold on the bike it is usually the toes that get cold first, I suspect due to cold air flow through the shoe, the cleats seem an unlikely source of much heat loss. My feet usually stay warm with thick-ish socks and thick neoprene overshoes down to about 0C if colder than that or likely to be especially wet then I use season socks as well. A pair of thicker insoles helps insulate as well.
One thing I have to be careful of is the footwear being too tight around the foot as that can reduce circulation and make the feet cold really quickly.