Touring bike bag

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tiggertoo

Touring bike bag

Post by Tiggertoo »

I have just purchased a new saddle bag for overnight tours.

It is a SKS Explorer with 800 Cu in. capacity measuring 22.6” x 6.5” x 13.5”.
In addition it comes with a clip-on mudguard. The price is reasonable at around 80 pounds sterling, is well made and easy to attach to the seat post and saddle as any other saddle bag. It weighs in at 1 lb 2 oz with the mudguard and 14 oz without.

Load capacity is shown to be 11 lbs.
colin54

Re: Touring bike bag

Post by colin54 »

Nu-Fogey
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

That's the one.
djb

Post by djb »

13 litres btw for a better idea of volume

Bottom fender idea-- neat.
Hmmmm, I wonder if I could bodge one onto my seatpack? Zipties perhaps?
I've used those flexible thin plastic fender sectioned things for years, you know, the type that go onto a downtube or you ziptie onto a rack (like I've done) and they are incredibly tough and long-lasting.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

That looks lovely, makes me want to discard my Carradice panniers and get one, do you have any trouble dismounting over that?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

No, but it rather depends on how wide you can open your legs. This naturally, is not a question I would pose to a young lady rider. :oops:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

On the subject of mounting a bike, the time honoured method, if having difficulty cocking the leg over the saddle, is to lay the bike over enough to bring the foot - together with the leg :lol: - over the cross bar.

I had a friend who always mounted his bike that way - he was quite short - and his wife would tell him to stop getting on his bike like a girl.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

I've come off mine twice recently dismounting, get my leg caught on the top of my rack bag so may adopt the lay over method. Doesn't get any easier.