Which size spoke key

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Michelin

Which size spoke key

Post by Michelin »

I have a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V TLR Carbon wheels on my bike and I want to buy the correct park tool spoke key for them. Can anyone tell me which is the correct one that I need.
Many thanks in advance
richardfm

Re: Which size spoke key

Post by richardfm »

Basically you need to measure the nipples.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... -selection
Richard M
Cardiff
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

They look to be square drive and so it is very likely that they will be the smallest size as this is the most common, 3.23mm.

If you have a micrometer you can measure one to confirm this.

Note also that they are described as alloy locking nipples, therefore easy to round off with an ill fitting tool. Not sure how they lock but maybe they will need heat or lubrication to adjust?
Last edited by alexnharvey on 13 Jan 2022, 2:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

richardfm wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 1:35pm Basically you need to measure the nipples.
Thanks for the link and just as a word of advice DO NOT google "how to measure nipples" on a work computer :D
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Or a flange!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

jimster99 wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 2:45pm
richardfm wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 1:35pm Basically you need to measure the nipples.
Thanks for the link and just as a word of advice DO NOT google "how to measure nipples" on a work computer :D
:D
Richard M
Cardiff
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

alexnharvey wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 2:45pm They look to be square drive and so it is very likely that they will be the smallest size as this is the most common, 3.23mm.

If you have a micrometer you can measure one to confirm this.

Note also that they are described as alloy locking nipples, therefore easy to round off with an ill fitting tool. Not sure how they lock but maybe they will need heat or lubrication to adjust?
"Alloy nipples?" :evil: One of the worst ideas ever in the whole history of worst ideas,why?Pros:Weight saving?next to nothing.Cons?They round off,seize and mine just crumbled away!!
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Alloy nipples are fine but are intolerant of slightly short spokes. The spoke needs to come up into the head of the nipple, or the head will tend to snap off in use. With brass nipples this isn't an issue, and spokes 2mm shorter than ideal are no problem.

You can't always get the exact spoke length you want, especially for small wheels.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I think the problem with alloy nipples is corrosion. On summer bike which never sees any salted roads, and rarely any rain, and is kept very clean still gave me a lot of grief when I came to replace the rear rim and found the alloy nipples to be very hard to shift. Lots of soaking with GT85 and a very good spoke key that fits on all four faces did the trick, but not without much difficulty. Needless to say I replaced them with brass nipples. I have however tried to replace rims on wheels with alloy nipples that have seen worse (i.e. normal) weather conditions and they have either been impossible to move or have just crumbled.