Various q's - deraileur hanger & cable replace / disc brake pads / plastic bit on rear wheel / more rust!! :D

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
richardfm

Re: Replacing deraileur & cable / do my disc brake pads need replacing / plastic bit on rear wheel / more rust!! :D

Post by richardfm »

Threadlock isn't needed and if you really aren't going to take it apart again, ever, then grease isn't either.
Richard M
Cardiff
pwa

Re: Replacing deraileur & cable / do my disc brake pads need replacing / plastic bit on rear wheel / more rust!! :D

Post by pwa »

jimster99 wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 9:05pm So I've been wrestling with the drive side cup for about half an hour, and finally got it off with an adjustable pipe wrench - the trickiest bit was keeping it in place and then applying enough torque, but once I had it figured out, the cup came straight off.

Any views on whether threadlocker is really required for the replacement bottom bracket? The Halfords video says grease is fine, and I have grease (white lithium and copper grease) but no threadlock, although I could go get some if it's really useful. However, this is an old bike and I can't see myself ever changing the bottom bracket again. So probably grease will do. :)
Copper grease is perfect. And lots of it.
jimster99

Re: Various q's - deraileur hanger & cable replace / disc brake pads / plastic bit on rear wheel / more rust!! :D

Post by jimster99 »

Hello! I have now managed to purchase a replacement rear mech hanger for my son's potential next bike and unfortunately the one I got isn't right! Photos below. Can any kind soul guide me as how to better identify the correct part so I can order a replacement? I've also included a couple of photos of the derailleur it came off, and the attachment point on the bike. I've tried googling this but apparently there are a huge number of possibliites and it's beyond me to figure out which is the right one.... :?

The old hanger (with one attachment point half snapped off) sitting next to the new (but incorrect) intended replacement rear mech hanger purchased from Decathlon
1653091031554.JPEG
Pictures of the derailleur (with the broken rear mech hanger reattached)
1653091026894.JPEG
1653091029060.JPEG
The rear mech hanger attachment point on the bike
1653091024727.JPEG
The bike itself (just in case someone can identify the model!)
1653091020837.JPEG
richardfm

Re: Various q's - deraileur hanger & cable replace / disc brake pads / plastic bit on rear wheel / more rust!! :D

Post by richardfm »

Have a look here for a replacement hanger
https://derailleurhangerstore.co.uk/pag ... our-hanger
You can upload photos of your hanger to allow them to help you find the right one
Richard M
Cardiff
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

Thanks Richardfm! Will send the pics to that site and see what they say. Updated pics also below :)
1653133475643.JPEG
1653133466624.JPEG
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

So I've been advised by the kind people at derailleurhangerstore that this is the correct hanger for my bike. Looks pretty close!! https://derailleurhangerstore.co.uk/col ... oem-silver

THE REPLACEMENT
gh-001_large.jpeg

THE ORIGINAL

ZOOMED IN FRONT.JPEG
ZOOMED IN FRONT.JPEG (17 KiB) Viewed 98 times
ZOOMED IN BACK.png
ZOOMED IN BACK.png (121.07 KiB) Viewed 98 times