An overview of steering geometry, part 2 (a less long read)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PT1029

An overview of steering geometry, part 2 (a less long read)

Post by PT1029 »

An overview of bicycle steering geometry part 2

In part 1 I explained why I didn’t like the steering characteristics of one of my bikes.
In summary, on one bike I like the steering, on one bike I didn’t like the steering but changed the forks, so I now like the steering. On the 3rd bike I don’t like the steering at low speed.

Part 1 also described the factors that affect steering geometry: -
• Outer wheel diameter.
• Head tube angle.
• Fork rake/fork offset.

Other factors include;
• Tyre - ground contact area
• Angle of lean.
• Gyroscopic effect of the rotating front wheel.

Now I will try to put some numbers to these and other bikes, and (briefly) what conflicting considerations need to be considered in designing a frame. Hopefully all this remains easily accessible and not lost in the mists of time.

A look at my bikes,:-
PT – original Geometry as originally supplied
Custom ATB Geometry as supplied/is currently. I have ignored 2” off road tyre use.
PT – current Geometry as now
Mistral - original/27” Holdsworth Mistral whose steering I liked (now 700 X 32 tyres, but basically the same).

Wheel flop is how much the front end of the frame lowers at its lowest point when the steering is turned from straight ahead.
“u – stability factor”. Jones “stability criteria” in Bicycling Science. Experience says stability criteria is best when u is between -1 and -3. See Bicycling Science for more details.

In the tables below,
Re: Fork trail values, colour denotes steering I liked, and steering I did not like.
Screenshot (85).png
Looking at the numbers above: -
What I did not like: - approx 60mm fork trail, approx 17 – 18mm wheel flop
What I did like: - approx 46 mm fork trail, approx 13 – 14mm wheel flop
Thus it looks like I prefer a low(er) fork trail and low(er) wheel flop values.
This gives rise to 2 points:-
• If I got a bike with fatter 700c tyres, what acceptable (to me) steering geometry could I use whilst still avoiding pedal (shoe) overlap with the front mud guard? Retaining a 72 deg head tube/steering axis angle may well make shoe/mudguard clearance difficult with wider 700c tyres and mudguards.
  • There is also the question of the bigger tyre size. This will have more pneumatic trail, so the geometric trail might need to be a little lower to allow for the higher pneumatic trail. How this is worked out/calculated I don't know. I would hazard a guess the the pneumatic trail (a product of tyre size (diameter and fwidth) and tyre pressure would be measured by the contact surface area. Just a guess.
• What bikes are there out there that have a steering geometry that I like. (Not many as it turned out!)

What acceptable steering geometry could I use whilst still avoiding shoe overlap with the front mud guard?
We need to take a step back and look at what factors you need to take into account for a bike frame (as distinct from the narrowed point of steering geometry).

What factors you need to take into account for a bike frame (as distinct from the narrower point of steering geometry).

As well as the previously mentioned points of: -
• Outer wheel diameter.
• Head tube angle.
• Fork rake/fork offset.
• Tyre - ground contact area (“pneumatic trail”)
• Angle of lean.
• Gyroscopic effect of the rotating front wheel.

We must also consider overall frame design, thus we also need to consider: -
• Trying to avoid front wheel/mud guard – foot/shoe overlap.
• Handlebar reach from the saddle.

If the rider is fairly tall, there is likely to be plenty of space, the top tube/cross bar can be long enough to allow the front wheel/mudguard to be far enough forward to clear the rider’s feet when pedalling while the steering is turned.
The main design issues appear when the bike is being designed for a short rider. Due to the short length of the bike (short riders can’t lean/reach so far forwards), design compromises need to be made to fit the wheel front wheel in the space available whilst trying to maintain shoe/mudguard clearance (no overlap). They will need a shorter forward reach, so needing a shorted top tube. If the rider is short enough, their shoe/toe clips will overlap the front mud guard. During low speed manoeuvring (which allows for a reasonable amount of steering turn), the rider’s feet may well clash with the mudguard. For some riders this is a problem they can live with, for some it spells disaster as their pedals stop turning and the rider come to an unexpected – and possibly undignified - stop.

How to overcome this. The fore – aft position of the saddle should be set with respect to the bottom bracket, so you don’t want to move the saddle forwards (or use a steeper seat tube angle) to allow for more reach.
The options for extra foot – mudguard clearance are: -
• A shallower head tube/steering axis angle.
• A larger fork rake/fork offset.
• A smaller wheel size.
In reality, it is likely to be a combination of these.

A shallower head tube/steering axis angle.
Making the head tube angle shallower puts the front wheel further forward, so increasing shoe/mudguard clearance (good), but also results in increasing wheel flop (potentially detrimental to sheering characteristics).

A larger fork rake/fork offset.
Increasing the fork rake/fork offset will also increasing shoe/mudguard clearance (good). It will also however reduce fork trail, making the steering less stable.

A smaller wheel size.
Using a smaller wheel size for small sized frames/riders is probably the best way forwards. You can maintain a fairly normal steering geometry while increasing shoe/mudguard clearance.
Some makes use 700c wheels on the medium and larger frames, and use 26” wheels on their smaller sized frames.

Chris Juden sums it up well: -

Thus, the small rider will generally have to suffer with one of the following:
1. long top tube—in order to avoid toe overlap while using a stock fork and a standard head angle.
2. super stable bike—due to a very shallow head angle coupled with short fork rake. This is done to avoid toe overlap with a stock fork while offering the rider a short top tube. The bike becomes so stable that it is hard to get it to turn, and the front wheel snakes out ahead of the rider when standing out of the saddle.
3. toe overlap—in order to offer a short top tube, stock fork, and standard head angle. Any of these situations can be uncomfortable or dangerous. To fit small riders with a stable bike and no toe overlap, either use a custom fork with more rake, or smaller wheels and geometry adjusted to offer large enough fork trail for stability.
This effect of this can be seen with the 2022 Trek FX3. I have chosen this just as an example: -
Screenshot (86).png
Note how the fork trail and wheel flop both increase as the frame size gets smaller. They will handle differently, I’d say the larger sizes would have better handling. I don’t know if there is shoe/front mudguard overlap or not.
It might be why some women (statistically more likely to be short) appear not so confident in their bike handling. They have to contend with possibly too stable a steering (“The bike becomes so stable that it is hard to get it to turn” above), plus there is more wheel flop to contend with.

On the other hand, Sonder seem to have the same geometry for all frame sizes on some of their models, OK if you like a big fork trail and big steering flop.

So what is “normal” geometry?
What is available out there? I seem to prefer lower fork trail/smaller wheel flop geometry. I looked to see if what was generally on sale was lower or higher fork trail. It seems I am in the minority, with most bikes being higher fork trail/wheel flop geometry.

Looking at the bike geometries tables below: -
blue highlighting is a geometry close to the low fork trail/wheel flop geometry I prefer.
Yellow highlighting is higher trail/higher wheel flop geometry I don't prefer.
There is a lot more yellow than blue, which puts my preferred steering geometry in the minority.
Pink highlighting – my guess would be more in a class of its own!(?) Some may well like this geometry, I suspect I would not.
Some of the off road bikes have quite big fork trail sizes. I guess is this is to help keep going in a straight line and preventing side deflections when hitting obsticles with the front wheel while riding off road.
Ultimately, there is no "right" or "wrong" geometry, only right and wrong geometries that do or do not work for you.

Happy to correct any incorrect numbers in the table.
Bikes chosen that interest me, or just as a reference. Figures come variously from this forum, the internet, manufactures supplied data on their websites and "Cycle" magazine.

PT – original – my tourer as originally supplied
Custom ATB My mountain bike.
PT – current My tourer as is currently, with the replacement forks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshot (87).png
Screenshot (88).png
Screenshot (89).png
rogerzilla

Re: An overview of steering geometry, part 2 (a less long read)

Post by rogerzilla »

Toe overlap on small frames is usually addressed with a higher BB. This is, of course, moronic when a short rider will already have more trouble getting a foot down at the lights, but it does get it through BS6102.

Here's a 90s Ridgeback with 26" wheels that I roadified for a short niece. You can see the high BB.
20210921_114210.jpg
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

If the Ridgeback was intended as a mountain bike, then a higher BB might in itself not be unreasonable, if sold as a small person's town bike then not good.
Edit:- Moving the BB up won't help toe overlap, if anything it makes it worse. Toe overlap is reduced when the BB is moved away (up or down) from a straight line between the hubs. So a lower BB ("BB drop") would aid reducing toe overlap (in a minimal sorty of way).
Years ago a short friend needed a smaller frame (could not stand over the top tube, she had quite short legs). Based on the bike she had, it needed to be 19 1/2" frame size. She went to Mercian, who supplied a 19 1/2" frame. She couldn't stand over it, the seat tube was indeed 19 1/2", but the BB was higher, top tube the same height off the ground as her old bike. She wasn't impressed!
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Moving the BB up also moves it back by an amount depending on the seat tube angle.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The elephant in the room........to achieve greater toe clearance on a short reach bike, you slacken the head angle AND increase offset; that way you can have the same trail in all sizes.

.....not applicable if you are fixated on using a 45mm offset carbon fork.

For example, 72 degree head and 45mm offset
Handles about the same as 70 deg and 59mm

So the offset increases toe clearance 14mm, and the head angle by about the same in a small bike ....
28mm increase in toe clearance is a noticeable amount.
rjb

Post by rjb »

For anyone who wants to experiment adapters are available to alter your head angle. Here's one, others may be available.
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ ... eadset.htm
Hmmmmm..... Would this ofset arrangement increase the loading on the headset bearings and lead to premature failure?
Now we just need an adjustable fork offset. :?:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

The elephant in the room........to achieve greater toe clearance on a short reach bike, you slacken the head angle AND increase offset; that way you can have the same trail in all sizes.
and also: -
For example, 72 degree head and 45mm offset
Handles about the same as 70 deg and 59mm
Yes, agree with the above. Handling about the same I'd agree with. The missing number is wheel flop,
For example,
72 degree head and 45mm offset - trail 65mm, wheel flop 19mm
70 degree head and 59mm offset- trail 64mm, wheel flop 20mm
(Assuming 700 X 32 tyres).

Same trail and wheel flop. So basically the same handling but with more toe clearance.

My friend's Somer Broken Road could probably be improved somewhat with more fork offset: -
Head angle 68 deg, 50mm offset, 94mm trail, 33mm wheel flop (using as supplied fork).
Head angle 68 deg, 65mm offset, 78mm trail, 27mm wheel flop. Still big trail/flop values compared to many bikes, but a bit nearer the norm.
(Assuming 584 X 71 tyres)

A more general question.
Not particularly relevant to bicycles, just an "I wonder if...?" question.
If the head angle gets really slack, I assume the handling (or grip at least) is affected by the fact that when you turn the steering with a really slack head angle, the front wheel will no longer be vertical when viewed from the front/rear, but have quite a sideways lean just as you go round a corner....
So, supposing we had a silly slack head angle, say 45 deg (think of a "chopper" style motor bike), I assume the front wheel more likely to slip away sideways due to the front wheel have a sideways slant when the steering is off centre.
Presumably at some point the sideways slip force reduces. If you had a zero head angle, (steering axis parallel with the gound), when steering (or "steering"), the wheel will have a sideways lean but will still be pointing straight ahead. (I am ignoring likely spoke stress issues here!)
Presumably the propensity to slip is dependent on the head angle, amount of steering turn, weight on the wheel and grip/coefficient of friction between the tyre/road.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I think the 'Easy Rider/Chopper' would have serious understeer, but they are "designed" for long straight US roads. So you would book your turn for a couple of States further on.

FWIW.
My Dawes Galaxy:
pre fork transplant had 1&3/4" fork rake (offset if you prefer) + toe overlap and a bit of "twitch". (TO called this combo "a fair mean machine".
post fk transplant 2&3/4 fork offset - aprox 1/2" toe clearance and quite sedate handling as befits a touring bike. No vices so far.
Orbit531C

Post by Orbit531C »

I just came across 8 pages of Jan Heine's thoughts & analysis together with a number of drawings all on the same subject of steering geometry , to add to your collected material:

"Front-end Geometry for Different Speeds, Loads and Tire sizes" by Jan Heine

I saw it buried in this website - the Aus frame builders collective - whilst looking for something else (Reynolds 653 'All Terrain' specs):

https://1filedownload.com/au-frame-builders-collective/

with enticing paragraph headings such as -

'Modernity takes its toll' ; 'Empirical data is still best'
&
'Experiencing Wheel Flop and Oversensitivity'

interestingly in this last section he compares steering geometry - and considers the influence of specific named tyres - on various bicycles including a Mercian King of Mercia, a Rivendell and an Alex Singer....more food for thought and reflection on this absorbing subject.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

One thing which crosses my mind in regard to handlebar flop is that the trail figure for any bicycle where the headset is not at a perfect right angle to the surface, is that it is not a constant figure. It varies.
The trail figure is at its highest when the front wheel is in the same plan to the main frame (0 degrees) but at its lowest when the front wheel is at 90 degrees to the main frame, as turning the handlebars reduce the any effective trail figure caused by the radius of the forks . Thus trail figure is reduced depending upon the severity of the turn that the bicycle is asked to make.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Orbit531C wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 4:54pm
'Modernity takes its toll' ; 'Empirical data is still best'
Spot on!
slowster

Post by slowster »

531colin wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 10:04am The elephant in the room........to achieve greater toe clearance on a short reach bike, you slacken the head angle AND increase offset; that way you can have the same trail in all sizes.

531colin, you've commented before about how the standard 45mm offset for carbon forks limits the range of head angles that a frame designer can choose from. On that note, have you had a chance to ride a demonstrator of the Spa Ti Elan thru-axle frame with the 50mm Enigma fork Spa are now using, and if so what do you think of it compared with the steering with a 45mm fork?

I presume that the head angle was not changed for the thru-axle version of the frame, and I think that it was originally supplied with the thru-axle version of the Kinesis Tripster 45mm fork. I think the switch to the 50mm fork might have been necessitated by a recent lack of availability of the Tripster forks, but I guess it might also have been because there was a preference by some for the quicker steering with a 50mm fork.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

slowster wrote: 7 Feb 2022, 3:38pm
531colin wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 10:04am The elephant in the room........to achieve greater toe clearance on a short reach bike, you slacken the head angle AND increase offset; that way you can have the same trail in all sizes.

531colin, you've commented before about how the standard 45mm offset for carbon forks limits the range of head angles that a frame designer can choose from. On that note, have you had a chance to ride a demonstrator of the Spa Ti Elan thru-axle frame with the 50mm Enigma fork Spa are now using, and if so what do you think of it compared with the steering with a 45mm fork?

I presume that the head angle was not changed for the thru-axle version of the frame, and I think that it was originally supplied with the thru-axle version of the Kinesis Tripster 45mm fork. I think the switch to the 50mm fork might have been necessitated by a recent lack of availability of the Tripster forks, but I guess it might also have been because there was a preference by some for the quicker steering with a 50mm fork.
Unfortunately, circumstances have conspired to keep me away from Spa for a very long time....Lockdowns, chaotic builders, and frankly paranoia about catching covid at my age!

However, in the range of angles and offsets we are talking about, 5mm offset change (even in the right direction) is pretty small beer ....equivalent to about half a degree on the head angle, and within the range of "Can I really notice a difference, or is it because I know its there?" Even so, any change in the right direction is worth having.....5mm more offset on its own gives 5mm more toe room, and it also allows a slacker head angle for the same steering "feel" , and the slacker angle is worth about the same extra toe room for any given handlebar reach.

Riding the "Through axle" bike is just one reason I can't wait for the better weather!