Self induced cramp

drossall

Re: Self induced cramp

Post by drossall »

Yes, lately I've found that, for some hours after a ride, I can get random cramps, for example in bed if I bend my knee. Used to be only as I described previously, when getting off the bike.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Another potential cause of cramp is dehydration.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Yup, that and not replacing sweated-out mineral salts. If you don't want to put Isostar etc. in your bottle, bananas are a wonderful source of trace elements. Of course, you're not supposed to chuck the skins into the ditch these days, so try and get it into someone's garden.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

drossall wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 5:42pm Yes, lately I've found that, for some hours after a ride, I can get random cramps, for example in bed if I bend my knee. Used to be only as I described previously, when getting off the bike.
I have always had that, sneaky cramps!

Read a good review article on the current level of scientific knowledge on the causes of cramp and there is really very little actually definitely known about them. The only proven effective therapy for them is stretching.
Ir seems that some people are just prone to cramps when muscles are getting tired whereas other people aren't, even at similar levels of hydration and potassium/sodium levels.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

My toes cramp frequently when out for even a short cycle, and I get calf cramps not inrequently on longer cycles. I used to do half marathons alot and rarely finished without cramping.

My recollection from reading up and attempts to reduce the problem was for me it related to insufficient hydration & insufficient training, cramping when I pushed it a bit harder ( plus circulation problems in my toes)

Salt didn't obviously make a difference. Drinking less coffee helped... I drank loads expresso.

However the stuff I read also seamed to say that some people are just prone to cramp even if they do do all the right things.

On the conscious/semi-conscious initiation of cramp....which I don't recall reading anything, I would't rule it out. I have had years of back problems causing muscle spasm, most typically trying to roll over and get out of bed. However I am now in almost complete control of this having read one study on back issues which found that those who had a positive attitude and thought they would get better, did generally get better quicker. So I started telling myself I would get up with out going into spasm....and it started working. I now just hold the dodgy bit of back and this seems to be enough for the brain to recognise the normal feeling and not spasm. Basically my presumption is my stupid head had got into a routine of semiconsiously thinking if I move I'll go into spasm & that was enough for almost any sensation to trigger it.

So may be you have a similar thing of knowing you often cramp cycling, helping to induce it.

So start telling yourself it won't......plus keep drinking sips and don't increase the intensity or length of rides rapidly.
old fangled