warm winter touring style shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

Re: warm winter touring style shoes

Post by Vorpal »

alan dun wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 1:49pm Hi all
Given that I only posted this morning, I think you are all great for replying!!
This is super helpful. My wife says she is very happy to use flats, she just doesn't want painfully cold toes from 10 minutes into her ride.. so flats or normal boots is certainly a way to go. Snow boots could be a good idea - her feet seem to feel the cold way before mine...
Thank you for the offer of the shoes, Colin54 - I think they might just be a bit too roomy!
Loads of food for thought here - I'll start investigating. Thank you
Alan
I cycle in winter in Norway, and that's how I keep my feet warm. Toes get colder cycling than walking both because of wind chill & because there is less movement for stimulation of circulation & muscle warming.

I have two pairs of winter boots. One is a pair of winter walking boots that take thick socks. The other is sized up & I wear two pairs of wool socks in them. I've never had cold toes in those, even out for hours in -10 C
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nez

Post by nez »

Vorpal wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 1:44pm
I have two pairs of winter boots. One is a pair of winter walking boots that take thick socks. The other is sized up & I wear two pairs of wool socks in them. I've never had cold toes in those, even out for hours in -10 C
It make sense, but I've never quite had the nerve to deliberately buy boots which are too big. Anyway, the sizes, 'What have you got in a 13?'
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

nez wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:27pm
It make sense, but I've never quite had the nerve to deliberately buy boots which are too big. Anyway, the sizes, 'What have you got in a 13?'
Well, I tried mine on with two pairs of thick socks. It did take me a little longer to find something. It was harder to tell what fit through two pairs of socks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Vorpal wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 2:26pm
nez wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:27pm
Well, I tried mine on with two pairs of thick socks. It did take me a little longer to find something. It was harder to tell what fit through two pairs of socks.
Definitely the way to go!
Reminds me of my first winter [cycling] boot purchase. I went armed with thickish sealskins.
Salesman: Oh these are so warm, you won't need those on!

You can probably guess the rest of the story ... needless to say I didn't spend any more money in that shop (and they went bust not long after).

These day I am riding in boots a size-or-two bigger than the ones he sold me. And warm socks if it's around/below freezing!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

nez wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:27pm It make sense, but I've never quite had the nerve to deliberately buy boots which are too big.
One experiment which I keep meaning to try: buy cheap/normal mtb boots that are big enough for MASSIVE wooly socks. Plus air gap.

Won't be as warm as my boots with big socks in, but might be a cheaper option ...
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

+1 for flat pedals, then wear whatever
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I've used MW81s this winter for my commute. They've been great. Last few days it has been a bit warmer and my feet have been a little sweaty by the time I arrived. I'd say above 5C I'll be using my regular shoes with warm socks instead.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Has your wife tried those chemical toe warmers? Over here they are called Little Hotties and they last for hours. An inexpensive thing to try before springing for new boots/shoes/pedals.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West