Cyclist-hater refuses to move and says its illegal to cycle on this path??? (PICS INSIDE)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: Cyclist-hater refuses to move and says its illegal to cycle on this path??? (PICS INSIDE)

Post by Tangled Metal »

jgurney wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 7:40pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 4:21pm Not seen many mixed motorist and pedestrian footpaths around away from roads.
Mixed anything and pedestrian could not sensibly be called a footpath. Footpath strongly implies a route for pedestrians only.
Not seen many mixed motorist and pedestrian footpaths around away from roads. Technically BOATs meet that category
A BOAT is not a footpath and is not away from roads. According to the Road Traffic Act 1988 a BOAT is a road.
First part is partly my point, wrong terminology. The post I was replying to was equating the OPs route away from road with country roads being mixed use because of no footpath. He just have meant footway. Also, the OPs route isn't next to a carriageway or road.

Second post I made the mistake of using the same wrong terminology to mirror the wording in that same post comparing country roads with away from road or carriageway routes The BOAT reference was to a mixed motorist and pedestrian route and the only non road carriageway route they are mixed on. Rare in towns I reckon and more country locations.

I'm sure in trying to clarify my posts I'll have used more incorrect terminology for someone to post back about. But I'll leave this here as I believe the OP has an answer on the access rights of this route, good job on getting that BTW op, so I don't think this thread has much more useful stuff to add. I'll leave it here.
pete75

Re: Cyclist-hater refuses to move and says its illegal to cycle on this path??? (PICS INSIDE)

Post by pete75 »

Asker wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:12pm
pete75 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 1:52pm Seems to me the OP is miffed these people didn't immediately jump out his way when he rang his bell. A bit like motorists who hoot at cyclists expecting them to clear the road for them.
No evidence the person involve was a "cycle-hater" and the OP obviously managed to go around them.
I was miffed at his hostility only, he didn't have to be rude. I wasn't expecting any confrontation until he started on me. Even when I went around him he refused to budge an inch simply out of pride/on principal and because of his ego wouldn't allow it; only someone with anti-cyclist issues would kick such a fuss.I didn't even come close to knocking him, I simply rang my bell to him and he chose to ignore me twice - he knew he was gonna kick-off when I got up to him. You weren't there, I was. Like I said, if I had been on foot he'd still have to move and wouldnt have had a problem, its just cos I was a cyclist.
You seem damned miffed about the whole thing - miffed enough to join this forum just to moan about it. Upset your sense of entitlement did he?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pete75 wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 12:05pm
pete75 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 1:52pm Seems to me the OP is miffed these people didn't immediately jump out his way when he rang his bell. A bit like motorists who hoot at cyclists expecting them to clear the road for them.
No evidence the person involve was a "cycle-hater" and the OP obviously managed to go around them.
I was miffed at his hostility only, he didn't have to be rude. I wasn't expecting any confrontation until he started on me. Even when I went around him he refused to budge an inch simply out of pride/on principal and because of his ego wouldn't allow it; only someone with anti-cyclist issues would kick such a fuss.I didn't even come close to knocking him, I simply rang my bell to him and he chose to ignore me twice - he knew he was gonna kick-off when I got up to him. You weren't there, I was. Like I said, if I had been on foot he'd still have to move and wouldnt have had a problem, its just cos I was a cyclist.
You seem damned miffed about the whole thing - miffed enough to join this forum just to moan about it. Upset your sense of entitlement did he?
:lol: :lol: . Of course you’re only saying here what you’d say to someone in real life, yes?

I thought the situation daft and not worth getting too upset about, life’s too short for such stuff.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The path in question did look a bit like it was intended for careful shared use, and if its true status is as a shared use path it badly needs signing as such, so that folk know who is entitled to use it.

The two pedestrians could have been cyclist haters, but they could equally well have been people who just hate other folk cycling on footways where cycling ought not to happen. Perhaps they have become sensitive to that, following close encounters with others on wheels. I wonder if E-scooter usage on footways is heightening sensitivity.

There have been a couple of occasions in the past where I have encountered someone cycling on a path that is designated for foot use, and where I have chosen not to step to one side because the path has been too narrow to allow both of us to pass without one stopping to give way. In such situations, the one on the cycle should be the one that give way. I remember meeting a mountain biker on the path below, where the narrowness means passing is awkward. He clearly anticipated that the pedestrian would stop and step to one side to allow his uninterrupted passage, but I didn't. I thought if he was daft enough to ride on such a narrow Public Footpath he would have to face the inconvenience of stopping when he met people. So I moved to one side but kept walking, as I would if I had met another walker. He didn't have room to pass without me pressing myself into the hedge so he came to a sudden stop and nearly went over. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3989867 ... 0?hl=en-GB

But that was an extreme case on a very narrow path and I'm not so awkward on broader paths where there is enough room if everyone moves to one side, as in the path in the pic. I'm guessing that the individuals concerned had raised sensitivities due to previous incidents.
Last edited by pwa on 19 Jan 2022, 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I blame the dog. If no dog, then probably enough room to get past.

Dogs have no rights on shared paths and should be kept off them. Dogs should be licenced, have insurance and wear some form of registration.

Where's Mr Loophole when you need him.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

simonhill wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 8:43am I blame the dog. If no dog, then probably enough room to get past.

Dogs have no rights on shared paths and should be kept off them. Dogs should be licenced, have insurance and wear some form of registration.

:lol: :lol: I suspect that you’re joking, but otherwise that’d be another conversation to watch from some safe distance. Of course you could replace the word ‘dog’ with anything else you chose (like child, teenager, husband, disabled person, old person) and someone would agree with that sentiment. As for dogs they know no better and it’s up to their carer to do their job properly.

The World around us is a shared space and the sooner we accept that and work with it then the happier life will be.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
peetee

Post by peetee »

My tuppence; They sound like a couple of readers of The Daily Mail Book Of Law, And How YOU Can Police It.
I suspect you could argue your standpoint til you are blue in the face, but....
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Carlton green wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 8:41pm
pete75 wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 12:05pm

:lol: :lol: . Of course you’re only saying here what you’d say to someone in real life, yes?

I thought the situation daft and not worth getting too upset about, life’s too short for such stuff.
Yes I am. I'd not say anything on the web I wouldn't say to the same person in real life.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonhill wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 8:43am I blame the dog. If no dog, then probably enough room to get past.

Some already do :-)

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:48am

Some already do :-)

And they even share use with the cheetahs!
http://www.vaguelyinteresting.co.uk/the ... tah-races/
https://fullfact.org/online/cheetah-greyhound-race/

Jonathan
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

:lol:
Dogs have to be microchipped and the chip registered to the owner. In effect, this is a licence (just that you don't get the piece of paper you used to get when it was called a dog licence).
Dogs have to wear a collar when in public, with identifiation tag. The standard is the dogs name, owner's surname, postcode and telephone number.
Insurance is just sensible, although much is in any case covered by home insurance policies (a bit like cycling then). :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

This all started with that Tony Blair promoting the idea of "choice" and dangling the carrot of a classless society. And that other one too, that Thatcher with her notions of share ownership. Bring back national service. And grammar schools.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hemo

Post by hemo »

And exactly what motorists and others think of cycles, one think's here brain wasn't in gear before posting such a thought.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

hemo wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 1:18pm

And exactly what motorists and others think of cycles, one think's here brain wasn't in gear before posting such a thought.
I think it may be that the Poster's tongue was located in their cheek?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Spot on Bonefish - I thought the reference to Mr Loophole might have been a clue.

I've followed this post with some amusement. The OP went to great lengths (photo, detailed description, etc) to lay out his case. Lots of replies and some good detective work has followed.

In my initial post at No 11. I said "Ask the Local Council. They will know the status of the path". To me this was what I would have done before posting. When he did ask the Council, he got a speedy and encouraging response. This should be printed off or carried on phone and shown to anyone who blocks the path in the future. Job done.