Cyclist-hater refuses to move and says its illegal to cycle on this path??? (PICS INSIDE)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: Cyclist-hater refuses to move and says its illegal to cycle on this path??? (PICS INSIDE)

Post by Psamathe »

Is the road on an industrial estate? Sometimes when roads are built as part of a development they are not offered for being adopted by Highways Dept. A local (to me) residential development includes access roads and in the planning application and correspondence as part of the application the developer explicitly stated that the access roads were not going to be offered to Highways for adoption. I guess that means they set their own rules but also probably means they are not in a position to fine you. Also means they are responsible for repairs but I'm uncertain about their liability if they fail to maintain properly. Also unsure what signage would be required (e.g. "Private Road").

(I am not expert on such matters and welcome being corrected)

Ian
Asker

Re: Cyclist-hater refuses to move and says its illegal to cycle on this path??? (PICS INSIDE)

Post by Asker »

pete75 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 1:52pm Seems to me the OP is miffed these people didn't immediately jump out his way when he rang his bell. A bit like motorists who hoot at cyclists expecting them to clear the road for them.
No evidence the person involve was a "cycle-hater" and the OP obviously managed to go around them.
I was miffed at his hostility only, he didn't have to be rude. I wasn't expecting any confrontation until he started on me. Even when I went around him he refused to budge an inch simply out of pride/on principal and because of his ego wouldn't allow it; only someone with anti-cyclist issues would kick such a fuss.I didn't even come close to knocking him, I simply rang my bell to him and he chose to ignore me twice - he knew he was gonna kick-off when I got up to him. You weren't there, I was. Like I said, if I had been on foot he'd still have to move and wouldnt have had a problem, its just cos I was a cyclist.
Last edited by Asker on 16 Jan 2022, 9:09pm, edited 4 times in total.
Asker

Post by Asker »

gaz wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 1:55pm It's on the council produced "Warwick & Leamington Cycling Guide" map as a cycle route.
Map.png
Thanks, I'll try to contact the Council for clarification. Not sure who to email there but I'll try a couple of them. Hopefully I can get some clarification.
Last edited by Asker on 16 Jan 2022, 9:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If somebody commented that the fine was not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale, I'd assume they knew how to google, at the very least.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Wi ... section/72
FWIW, I believe that's £500
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/20 ... 22/enacted
As an illustration of inflation, the penalty was not exceeding forty shillings in 1835 (£2 in the old money)
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Wi ... II/enacted
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Asker wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:12pm
I was miffed at his hostility only..................its just cos I was a cyclist.
........and he'd be a motorist...............no comment.
And he'd have distributed dog faeces on footpaths in his time.
There are awful things and occasions in this life - we've just to put up with them.
Be grateful for civilised consideration when you experience it, but don't expect it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

axel_knutt wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:35pm I think you'd have to go to the council offices and have a look at the definitive rights of way map, then when you know what it is you'll know what rights you have on it.
Like many, Warwickshire's definitive map is online. https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/definitivemap

I think this way is not on it, so it may be private.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

"Just cos I'm a cyclist!"

Hmm! Not just a cyclist but a cyclist riding on a route where the access situation was at best unknown at worst not allowed as the pedestrian said.

Two sides to every story and you're giving one only. Look at things from his pov. Ever been close passed by a car on your bike? Ever been close passed by cyclist when walking on a footway? Priority of vulnerability? Heard about it?

I'm sorry but I do not see either side as being right here. Pedestrian might have been rude and aggressive but imho the op isn't painting a good impression of himself imho. Blinkered sense of entitlement all around I think. Perhaps it was better to find out the exact situation over rights to cycle there and if necessary ask on here how to go about that rather than rant about a situation nobody here knows what really happened. Rants on a forum are always one sided. BTW the only truth here I know is that the pedestrian was the more vulnerable user of that path.

Sorry but I've got out the wrong side of the bed and I'm grumpy. Please take no offence I'm trying to be helpful but grumpiness has struck.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

PT1029 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 2:56pmOn Open Street map https://www.opencyclemap.org/ the path in question is marked as a dashed brown line, which the key https://www.opencyclemap.org/docs/ says "Footpath no cycling".
Curiously it was originally mapped as a footpath in OSM in 2014, changed to a cycleway in November 2020, and then changed back to a footpath in September 2021.

I very strongly suspect that it's an unadopted path owned by the trading estate, at which point bike access is entirely at their volition and none of Mr Busybody's business.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

If that was me....

I would cycle up to them, dismount, walk the bike around them and with a smile on my face say 'Good morning gents, lovely day eh'? Remount and cycle on.

They won't 'get it' and that would make my day.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Good advice /\/\/\
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 7:17amRants on a forum are always one sided.
But the whole discussion doesn't need to be. If we choose to try and reach consensus we might occasionally achieve it.

For example in this thread:

1 It can be difficult to find the status and permissions of somewhere you'd like to cycle.

2 There are some experts who can tell us where to look. (Thanks.)

3 It's sensible to wind down confrontations of this type rather than escalating them.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Yes, antagonise the angry pedestrian more. Can't see anything wrong with that. :roll:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 7:17amSorry but I've got out the wrong side of the bed and I'm grumpy. Please take no offence I'm trying to be helpful but grumpiness has struck.
I thought that you made some good points.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 8:56am
Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 7:17amRants on a forum are always one sided.
But the whole discussion doesn't need to be. If we choose to try and reach consensus we might occasionally achieve it.

For example in this thread:

1 It can be difficult to find the status and permissions of somewhere you'd like to cycle.

2 There are some experts who can tell us where to look. (Thanks.)

3 It's sensible to wind down confrontations of this type rather than escalating them.

Jonathan
And yet there's advice to walk past then get back onto your bike having made a passive aggressive pleasantry. The best advice is to find the status of the route and if cycles have right of way get signage accordingly. Until then walk your bike along what is a very short stretch when there's pedestrians around.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 8:57am
Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 7:17amSorry but I've got out the wrong side of the bed and I'm grumpy. Please take no offence I'm trying to be helpful but grumpiness has struck.
I thought that you made some good points.

Jonathan
I still thought I said them a bit grumpily and didn't want to offend. PS I'm still grumpy but my caffeine drip is kicking in!