The Pope: Children pets and the Tour de France

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
briansnail

The Pope: Children pets and the Tour de France

Post by briansnail »

"The church is like a bicycle.It has to keep moving to stay upright" Pope Francis

Ask some teenagers who is one cool cat on the block. Some will include Pope Francis. He is a peoples Pope. He has at least 2 bicycles (gifted by a cycling champion and admirers) He resides in the modest Domus Sanctae Marthae.The more resplendent Apostolic Palace is empty. He quickly dispensed with the Hummer like papal limousine for a humbler Fiat. He of course Heads the Catholic church which does good works worldwide and is universally respected (as with other major religions). He has my vote.

He recently hit the headlines. He said its pure selfishness having no or just one child. Also adding childless couples should consider adopting. He criticised the easier option of pet adoption. This as Europe tracks a birth rate slowdown. To use his words facing a “demographic winter”.

My parents’ generation only needed one working parent. Now to keep a roof over their head you need two. One to pay the mortgage. One to pay for food and other. Raising children is expensive but in itself not impossible. Losing one partners income is what makes it impossible. At least if you want the kids to have a quality life. With Robotics replacing many jobs. The future may not be easy.
In many countries children do not have access to 3 square meals, shelter love or education. I am guessing these children were foremost in his mind.

The Roman Catholic church does not allow married priests. What a mistake. With other faiths it leads to a deep appreciation of family life. Joys and tribulations.
More worrying The Roman Catholic church has something in common with the Tour de France. If females apply to be priests “Non desole”. People look at their watches and hurriedly cycle off. If this was a PLC the courts would be handing out million pound settlements based on gender discrimination.

Demographics is down. So is Church attendance and the number of priests.The number of nuns is in terminal decline. (in 2015 the latter recruitment did triple 15 to 45).So much so 6 year old's ask earnestly what's a nun?. Addressing the above would help.

On top of a steep hill is a lonely tiny ancient church. Let me get the cycle clips and my bicycle. It is Sunday.

I ride a Brompton and 100% British vintage hand built bike
Last edited by briansnail on 17 Jan 2022, 3:31am, edited 3 times in total.
Jdsk

Re: The Pope: Children pets and the Tour de France

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 1:58pmHe of course Heads the Catholic church which does good works worldwide and is universally respected (as with other major religions).
Not by me, therefore not universally.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 1:58pmThe Roman Catholic church does not allow married priests.
Yes it does. The most common exception is if they were married before they were ordained. I've heard that this sequence is becoming more popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_ ... y_celibacy

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 2:02pm
briansnail wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 1:58pmHe of course Heads the Catholic church which does good works worldwide and is universally respected (as with other major religions).

Jonathan
Nor me

Also the world's needs a reduction in population overall not continuing increase.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jonathan
Nor me,and certainly not "universally"
This corrupt institution defends it's official instruction not to use condoms as a means of contraception or protection against AIDS as being against "God's will".
It continues in it's wrongful belief in myth and "miracles" to subjugate it's followers with threat of an afterlife of pain and suffering for those who don't follow in it's erroneous and bizarre beliefs!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 3:16pm

Jonathan
Nor me,and certainly not "universally"
This corrupt institution defends it's official instruction not to use condoms as a means of contraception or protection against AIDS as being against "God's will".
It continues in it's wrongful belief in myth and "miracles" to subjugate it's followers with threat of an afterlife of pain and suffering for those who don't follow in it's erroneous and bizarre beliefs!
+1.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jonathan
Nor by me. Apart from the more well known issues I've seen and talked to those impacted by Catholicism in South America and some of the issues caused there.

It takes a lot more than downsizing your motor vehicle. Having bicycles is irrelevant, it's using bicycles that is important and how often is this pope out and about on either of his two bikes?

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

briansnail wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 1:58pm ...
He recently hit the headlines. He said its pure selfishness having no or just one child. Also adding childless couples should consider adopting. He criticised the easier option of pet adoption. This as Europe tracks a birth rate slowdown. To use his words facing a “demographic winter”.
A totally irresponsible comment from the pope. The impact humans are having on our climate stems from too many people - we don't need more yet he is telling people they are selfish not having kids!

Western economies seem to be operated as some Government sponsored Ponzi scheme - Governments and business failing to recognise we are in a closed situation and cannot go on using up limited resources forever. Perpetual growth is madness (and impossible). If Europe thinks it is short of people then there are plenty from other parts of the world yet we seem to be doing everything we can to keep them out!

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sex
Politics
Religion

All ripe for argument, eh? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Mick F wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 4:07pm Sex
Politics
Religion

All ripe for argument, eh? :lol:
Oh no it isn't
No pasaran
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I've done the calculations and everytime there's a new pope..............its the only time,
Mick F has a puncture!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How many of those victims of the roman Catholic church's abuses of power universally b respects the institution? Can anyone list all those abuses? It might be good to derail this thread by listing what harm the roman Catholic Church, it's hierarchy and devout/unquestioning followers have done or covered up. Ireland, USA and France have some truly horrific and indeed institutional crimes done by the church. Even the current pope isn't clean.

I cannot believe anyone can say the church or its head can possibly be universally respected. They're still covering things up or trying to reduce the impact of these crimes on the church and that's with this pope at the top spot. Until the pope orders the opening up of all their records and assist officialdom to prosecute offenders he's still part of the problem.

BTW he's an idiot! Whether you have children or not isn't his right to make pronouncements on. It's an individual choice. Indeed no choice fir some. I'm lucky in that I've got a single child. At late 40s we're unlikely to be able to produce another. IMHO that's good thing. Better that than the nearby family that's 21 kids and counting IMHO but even that's their choice.

As to pet ownership. It's wrong to see them as child substitutes whether you're the owner or pop's. They're a pet, a different category of family member. They rely on you and you've got a real symbiotic relationship. It's known stroking pets releases chemicals that relaxes you. A real good thing for the stress of modern life. Plus the routine pets foster in your life is good too. If you choose that over having children then n so be it, your choice.

IMHO this pope is a real, flaky crank. The sooner the human species wakes up and ditches religion the sooner we can ignore these nut jobs! Consign them to history with witch trials, persecution, abusing priests and higher ranks, mass child graves at orphanages, wash houses/ houses for fallen women where unmarried mothers m got sent to give birth then get their child removed to go to a "good" childless Catholic couple, etc. There's signs things are changing. The western m Europe has rapidly declining congregations. Irish republic society is even ignoring them with their abortion laws I believe. Some good signs I reckon.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

For me, all religion is delusional. I just dont believe in any of it. The only thing I can believe in is humanism.... I dont believe in supreme beings or supreme powers

https://humanists.uk/humanism/how-humanist-are-you/

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

philvantwo wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 5:32pm I've done the calculations and everytime there's a new pope..............its the only time,
Mick F has a puncture!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's a bit of a let down! :? :D
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 6:28pm For me, all religion is delusional. I just dont believe in any of it. The only thing I can believe in is humanism.... I dont believe in supreme beings or supreme powers

https://humanists.uk/humanism/how-humanist-are-you/

Al
What about the EU :D
W H Auden