Replacement brake cable keeps snapping

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
andrewcoleman

Replacement brake cable keeps snapping

Post by andrewcoleman »

Hi,
The brake cable on my son's Carrera brake keeps snapping down at the point where it connects to the brake pad. When it snapped for the first time I bought a pack of ten cables from amazon, which were admittedly quite cheap, but they only seem to last a couple of months. I can keep on replacing the cable but I am wondering if I should just invest in better quality cables, if so what are my best options.

Thanks
Andrew
JohnW

Re: Replacement brake cable keeps snapping

Post by JohnW »

andrewcoleman wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 4:58pm Hi,
The brake cable on my son's Carrera brake keeps snapping down at the point where it connects to the brake pad. When it snapped for the first time I bought a pack of ten cables from amazon, which were admittedly quite cheap, but they only seem to last a couple of months. I can keep on replacing the cable but I am wondering if I should just invest in better quality cables, if so what are my best options.

Thanks
Andrew
It's difficult to give a meaningful response from what you say.
Someone may be able to help from a photograph.
I think that the best advice is to take the bike round to your local bike shop for advice and a repair.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Do you replace just the inner cable? And how close to the anchor point does the cable snap?
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

My guess would be a sharp edge at the end of the cable housing wearing through the inner wire. I would replace the outer housing.
My favourite way of cutting this is to use a cutting disc attached to a dremmel drill then opening up the inner housing with a small point.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

My first thought was also a sharp edge.
My second thought is it's not setup quite right and there's a sharp bend.
Both will cause the cable to quickly wear out and snap.

Luck ........ :D
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Also ensure the cable is clamped correctly. The cable should be between the brake arm and the chunky spaced/washer. I have known people fit the cable immediately under the bolt head - when you tighten the bolt, the rotating bolt head shreads some of the cable strands.
Ensure there is some oil/grease between the bolt head and the washer, sometimes things get a bit corroded, and the bolt head drags the washer round with it, and so damaging the inner cable.
Also check the chunky spacer/washer for sharp edges, I have known cheaper ones to have sharp edges and cut some of the cable strands on clamping.

A photo would help. I have seen pads incorrectly fitted (pad spacers in the wrong places), resulting in the brake arms being too close together. Sometimes this can result in repeated cable flex at the clamp when the brake is put on.

Just a thought. Which side of the cable clamp does it break? If it on the side leading to the brake/lever, then obviously not good.
If it is the spare/left over bit sticking out at the end, then not the end of the world (unless you have to let the cable through a bit later on). If it is the spare bit on the end, it is likely to get flexed a lot, suffer metal fatigue and brake off. Tuck the spare end around behind the brake arm (or hold the end in place by teh brake arm with a cable tie). Then it will just sit their without moving, and so not brake (or, even break, you want it to brake after all....!).