Total knee replacement

danfoto

Total knee replacement

Post by danfoto »

Less than an hour ago, I got an appointment to see a consultant first thing tomorrow morning about a total knee replacement. So there's a bit of a flap on here ...

I'm 74, male, BMI 22.6. Not on any medication, no history of medical problems, non-smoker, hardly drink, and am reasonably fit considering. Don't have a car so go everywhere on foot or by bicycle (1000+ miles a year, mainly on pedelec nowadays)

If you've had a TKR, what do you wish you'd known beforehand? What specific questions should I ask this chap? Given a fair wind, how long before I get back on a bike?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Jdsk

Re: Total knee replacement

Post by Jdsk »

Previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=135211

Ask as early as possible to discuss cycling with the surgeon or a physiotherapist. When should you try after the operation, and what should you watch out for?

And it's a good idea to write down questions before the consultation so that you don't forget anything.

Hope it goes well.

Jonathan
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Thanks for that Jonathan
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

With regard to cycling you will know yourself what you can do and when.
You can't over bend the knee before the staples are removed. After that your increased movement needs to be proportionate to the healing of the wound.
I started on the turbo trainer just trying to encourage the knee to bend enough to get up and over the top of the pedal stroke . Once I managed that it was just a few turns of the pedals a day but building up a few additional strokes a fay until the knee was freed up.
Last edited by bogmyrtle on 20 Jan 2022, 10:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Ask if there is a target time for you to receive your operation appointment and how behind they are on meeting the target.
Your life will be on hold until you have a date and even once you have an appointment it can be cancelled leaving you in limbo not knowing when another appointment is going to be landed on you.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I think it was Johnathan who suggested somewhere here to take a notepad in with you of all the questions you want to ask. Hopefully there'll be some good advice on here about what to ask.
I am here. Where are you?
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Knee bod now seen, all questions answered and he reckons the wait time is currently three months - sooner if somebody cancels :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

That's great -- hope all goes well -- don't let them talk you into one of those extended warranties. :D
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

March 202 I had simultaneous bilateral total knee replacements at the age of 65.

Before the operation I had pre-has with an NHS physio to make sure my knees were as strong as I could make them. Twenty six days after the operation I got on the turbo and started “cycling”. Combined with the physiotherapist’s exercises the turbo proved an invaluable tool in the recovery process.

The first three months of recovery were painful but the work has to be put in to ensure that the knee does not scar over and restrict flexion.

Moving on to today. I have cycled just over 4,500 miles with my new knees, entered the RideLondon 100 in May. Recommenced Pilates classes, something I did prior to the operation. Walking downstairs in a straight line without pain is a marker that the knee replacements are a success and I no longer have to worry about knee pain and restricted activities.

Hope it goes well.

Before
Before
After
After
horizon

Post by horizon »

danfoto wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:39pm
What specific questions should I ask this chap?
I just wondered if you (or he/she) had any pointers as to why a . . .
74, male, BMI 22.6. Not on any medication, no history of medical problems, non-smoker, hardly drink, and am reasonably fit considering. Don't have a car so go everywhere on foot or by bicycle (1000+ miles a year, mainly on pedelec nowadays)
. . . would need a TKR (as in, your knee required it, not that you actually didn't need it). I've no particular viewpoint myself on this, just wondering if you had come across anything. Good luck with it BTW.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

horizon wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 12:07pm
... I just wondered if you (or he/she) had any pointers ... why a
74, male, BMI 22.6. Not on any medication, no history of medical problems, non-smoker, hardly drink, and am reasonably fit considering. Don't have a car so go everywhere on foot or by bicycle (1000+ miles a year, mainly on pedelec nowadays)
. . . would need a TKR.
Because my arthritic left knee gives me major grief. The joint is well past its best before. It is clapped out. It is FUBAR.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Good to hear that you've got a plan and a date.

Any helpful advice on cycling before and after?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: Did you get a smile of approbation on your choice of transport?
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 12:24pm

No and no, but the hospital does provide a very good booklet which covers the whole shebang from consultation through recovery. No mention of cycling though.

Consultant chappie seemed bemused by the idea of somebody who's long since given up the motor car ...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

danfoto wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 12:38pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 12:24pm

No and no, but the hospital does provide a very good booklet which covers the whole shebang from consultation through recovery. No mention of cycling though.

Consultant chappie seemed bemused by the idea of somebody who's long since given up the motor car ...
Thanks

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

beardybiker01 wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 10:43am March 202 I had simultaneous bilateral total knee replacements at the age of 65.

Before the operation I had pre-has with an NHS physio to make sure my knees were as strong as I could make them. Twenty six days after the operation I got on the turbo and started “cycling”. Combined with the physiotherapist’s exercises the turbo proved an invaluable tool in the recovery process.

The first three months of recovery were painful but the work has to be put in to ensure that the knee does not scar over and restrict flexion.

Moving on to today. I have cycled just over 4,500 miles with my new knees, entered the RideLondon 100 in May. Recommenced Pilates classes, something I did prior to the operation. Walking downstairs in a straight line without pain is a marker that the knee replacements are a success and I no longer have to worry about knee pain and restricted activities.

Hope it goes well.

15F1F955-1345-4E3D-AA6B-7DA419EC7600.jpeg

6E8C05B5-758A-4258-8EB2-A3B655B3A654.jpeg
Wow what a great achievement. The physio on the muscles and tendons around the knee before the op must have been painful but definitely worth it.