BBC Program on Why Are Our Roads Getting Less Safe

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonhill

BBC Program on Why Are Our Roads Getting Less Safe

Post by simonhill »

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

There was a Panorama program on Monday evening (17/1) at 7:30 detailing a number of reasons why our roads have got more dangerous.

Reduction in policing;
Speed cameras switched off;
Dangerous roads;
Reduction in use of breathalysers; and
Bad driving.

Nothing we don't know, but some rather sobering statistics. If you didn't see it, it will be on catch up, etc.
simonineaston

Re: BBC Program on Why Are Our Roads Getting Less Safe

Post by simonineaston »

To be honest, I'd rather not see the programme - how will it help my growing sense of vulnerability?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
simonhill wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 12:59pm I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

There was a Panorama program on Monday evening (17/1) at 7:30 detailing a number of reasons why our roads have got more dangerous.

Reduction in policing;
Dangerous roads;
Bad driving.

Nothing we don't know, but some rather sobering statistics. If you didn't see it, it will be on catch up, etc.
I would like to remove the "Dangerous Roads" from the equation!
Describe Dangerous Road if not the result of Dangerous drivers?

A couple of conditions of weather / contamination comes to mind, these are exceptions, which would validate the heading Dangerous Road.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 2:29pm I would like to remove the "Dangerous Roads" from the equation!
Wouldn't we all!
Describe Dangerous Road if not the result of Dangerous drivers?
How about continued use of a road layout that has proven too complicated for average people to use reliably safely when an alternative layout is available?
A couple of conditions of weather / contamination comes to mind, these are exceptions, which would validate the heading Dangerous Road.
Those too, but they are often consequences of a defective design which allows water or contaminants to collect. Also, one could argue that safe drivers would be travelling at a speed to cope with such defects.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Roads are not at all dangerous, they really are static, what are dangerous are drivers.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

simonhill wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 12:59pm I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

Reduction in policing;
Dangerous roads;
Bad driving.

The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club. ;)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonineaston wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 1:05pm To be honest, I'd rather not see the programme - how will it help my growing sense of vulnerability?
You might watch it and see that the evidence of "danger" just isn't there.
(certainly statistics do not show roads to be dangerous).

Take a chance? Or just go out and ride your bike instead! :)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I must remember to be more careful when posting.

Roads getting more dangerous for users.

Roads become more dangerous for users due to surface; width; heavy traffic; etc.

Obviously the road is not dangerous per se, unless it is perhaps about to collapse on something. Oh no, that is dangerous gravity, not the poor old innocent road.
peetee

Post by peetee »

simonhill wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:35pm I must remember to be more careful when posting.

Roads getting more dangerous for users.

Roads become more dangerous for users due to surface; width; heavy traffic; etc.

Obviously the road is not dangerous per se, unless it is perhaps about to collapse on something. Oh no, that is dangerous gravity, not the poor old innocent road.
To which you can add ‘cars becoming more cosseting and technically complex, lulling some drivers into a false sense of security and further separating them from the extremes of the outside world’.
Last edited by peetee on 19 Jan 2022, 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:35pm I must remember to be more careful when posting.
Your usage was fine.

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I'd not seen the program but what measure are they basing this statement on? Fatality, ksi and casualty rates have all continued to decrease since 2010.

The decline in absolute numbers of fatalities has ceased since 2012 or so, possibly even grown ever so slightly, though increasing travel distance means the rate has still dropped.

None of that should be taken that I think we're doing anywhere near enough for road safety. But the headline claim appears to be a little hyperbolic.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:51pm
Your usage was fine.

Jonathan
Well ... high praise indeed! Then I guess I must also concede that your usage was grammatically accurate. :-)

However: it is concealing a lot of important detail. If the road was closed to traffic (because roadworks, say), would the road be dangerous?

If you rode/walked/drove down the road you might be very safe indeed until another driver comes along.

Let's approach this from a different angle:
"Cycling [on such roads] is not dangerous. But cyclists are sometimes in danger there because of dangerous drivers."

[stolen from cycling twitter]
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 9:08am
Jdsk wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:51pm
Your usage was fine.
However: it is concealing a lot of important detail. If the road was closed to traffic (because roadworks, say), would the road be dangerous?

If you rode/walked/drove down the road you might be very safe indeed until another driver comes along.

Let's approach this from a different angle:
"Cycling [on such roads] is not dangerous. But cyclists are sometimes in danger there because of dangerous drivers."

[stolen from cycling twitter]
Roads (once they're built) typically harm others because of what road users do.

Some roads make it more likely that harm will occur than others.

And there are many relevant factors.

When someone says "Dangerous roads" I think that this is what they mean.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 9:14am Roads (once they're built) typically harm others because of what road users do.
This is most definitely NOT correct english usage.

If you think that is correct, you are entering an Alice-in-Wonderland world of distorted meaning.

Have fun!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 9:25am
Jdsk wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 9:14am Roads (once they're built) typically harm others because of what road users do.
This is most definitely NOT correct english usage.
What's wrong with the English, please?

But I suspect that you're disagreeing about the assertion rather than the usage, more please.

Thanks

Jonathan